New Flickr Look

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Well...well...well...Flickr has a new look and I must say: I like it. What are you thoughts on their new interface?

Cheers....

P.S. In order to get the links to a photo that you would like to share with us on PAD...you need to click on the little folder icon on the bottom right and there you will find the URL code to past in PAD. :)

pic-1
Post edited by Golf007sd on
D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Looks good so far...a bit of a shock when I went to get Exif data of one of my photos...
    Msmoto, mod
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    This will take a little getting used to. So much for the old instructions for how to post.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Dear Flickr/Yahoo,

Thanks for the advance notice, and/or a beta link.

Sincerely,
    Ironheart
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I never like change by the computer wizards, but this I like.
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    edited May 2013
    I can't say I like it. We lose statistics, the ability to decide if we want 1or 5 contact photos to show, and get a jumble of new contact photos and comments on contact photos by other people. Of course we get upgraded to 1 terabyte from unlimited, who doesn't appreciate that?

ok, i have to give it a chance to grow on me and Flickr was heading for irrelevancy with iphone users being their primary user. I will be the first to agree the old site needed some upgrading, but the new site is not in the direction I would have liked to see.
    Post edited by hawkdl2 on
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    @hawkdl2; I am with you on this..
    Update: New Flickr format....

How to post a photo on the forum from your photostream on Flickr:
    Click on photo
    Click on the small box with arrow in lower right
    Copy the HTML code for Medium 640
    Paste this directly in your new post on PAD
    Msmoto, mod
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Got the e-mail yesterday. Went and checked it out. Looks similar to 500px. Cool in ways but I haven't had time to thoroughly check it out. Looks pretty good though.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Seems to be a bit slower at times with the new format.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    websites like many things are all just undergoing a process of evolution, and sometimes a sideways step or even a backwards step is needed to eventually make the leap forward.

but having said that, i think the changes are nice in this case.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    For does of us that had a Pro account...well that is gone now. We are all "Pro." Lets hope they do not charge us the $500 for the so called Doublr Account 8-}
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    Not sure about that, Golf007sd. The email I got read
    <<As a Pro Member, your subscription remains the same. You'll enjoy unlimited space for your photos and videos, detailed stats and an ad-free experience. However, you can switch to a Free account before August 20, 2013.>>

So I think there are still perks to Pro. Whether it's worth it is up to each person, of course
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The main one is you get a name instead of a number for your photostream...
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    Did anyone find out how to get EXIF data?
  • turnthedarncranksturnthedarncranks Posts: 116Member
    edited May 2013
    Love the new look. And as a non-pro user, the other issues are non-issues for me.

@tganiats You need to click on the ellipsis in the lower right corner and then pick "View Exif info".
    Post edited by turnthedarncranks on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    @tganiats: At the bottom right hand side you will see the three . . . click on it and you will see the pop-up window that will let you have access to all the other features on the site.

Also here is what they say on their new website regarding Pro Accounts:
    What used to be offered with a Pro account?

Flickr Pro is no longer available for purchase, but many of the Pro-only features are now part of free Flickr accounts.

Here is what you used to get with Pro:

Unlimited photo uploads (50MB per photo)
    Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
    The ability to show HD Video
    Unlimited storage
    Unlimited bandwidth
    Archiving of high-resolution original images
    The ability to replace a photo
    Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
    View count and referrer statistics
    Limitation of maximum image size available to others
    Ad-free browsing and sharing
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member

The ability to replace a photo
    I haven't been able to find out if this is still true for Pro accounts, or anyone. Has anyone tried to replace a photo?

• blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    personally i hate it ,its a total mess i used to like looking at a contacts pic to see what camera they were using and compare i/q to mine etc ,this jumble is to "in yer face" for me .
    i have been with flickr 5 years and my photography has progressed hopefully from complete amateur level to a point where i have had pictures on t.v i.e BBC spring watch and autumnwatch ,pics featured in books and mags ,and one made the sunday telegraph national n/paper ,i have nearly 300 explores and all down to the old style flickr and the back up from other members who also seem to have grown at the same rate .that has all been thrown into a facebook style mish-mash without any option to leave it as is if you wanted to .
    yes there was room for improvement i.e i like my pics on black but the rest of its a bloody mess .i don't really want to leave flickr as some are advocating so hopefully they will alter some of this .

as for the new structuring re-PRO account ,i have cancelled my pro and asked for a refund and gone with the free account ,apart from a odd advert i can't really see any difference ,i just did not feel that after this i could trust them with a open access to my paypal/bank account ,its to easy for them to change there charges overnight for my liking
    @blackfox

Can you give us a link to your Flickr account?
    Msmoto, mod
  • mmcdonaldmmcdonald Posts: 17Member
    I actually like the new look flickr, its a continuation from the IOS app. I admit though if you are not used to that then its a huge change with a lot going on. I think its something people will get used to.... perhaps slowly.

As for the PRO account, i'll keep mine, the price stays the same and little changes really. Obviously the people with free accounts now get a much better deal. To me it looks like Flickr dont want new joiners to pay, they want them to see the ads so they can make their money that way. $50 is too much just to skip the ads really. But i can live with the fee as it is for existing Pro accounts and of course unlimited storage.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    While I don't like apple platforms, it makes sense to set it up this way if they want to attract new people to join. It's seen as being cool and up-to-date.

It does seem to be a little more conducive to "liking" and sharing too.
  • JorPetJorPet Posts: 14Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not terribly impressed. They are definitely going for the iPhone/ Instagram group. They removed the basic Exif information from the photo page (something I used a ton) and left the keywords links so people can leave your phot stream and go to a "hive" stream linked with that word.

But what irritates me the most is that with the new set up when they view your sets, they can see the images large enough (5x7 equivelant on screen) that they really don't need to view them larger. These views are then not logged as view, so you really don't know what people are doing anymore. Prior to this, when I put a new set out there (regatta pictures) I could see when people had started viewing them and as it tailed off after a couple of days. I could also see which were the most popular pictures and what people found most interesting. Now all of that is lost, which was one of the biggest advantages of the Pro account.

After 7 years, I'm starting to look around at other, better options that will let me get a truer sense of how many people are viewing which images.

Edit to add:
    Looking at the stats, my historical average of photo views to photostream views was 24:1. For sets it was 18:1. Looking at today the ratio is 2.5:1 for Photo/Photostram. Pretty obvious people are viewing strictly from the photostream rather than viewing the pictures individually.
    Post edited by JorPet on
    edited May 2013
    I have found some of the items such as View all sizes, Exif, etc, but they are well hidden behind three dots on the lower right...

And, once one realizes a lot of the options....like a cover photo...it may not be so bad. IMO it will take some getting used to.

And I now have a photo of me with Flathead Lake in the background.....near Kalispell, taken in 2008 on my last solo cross country motorcycle trip.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited May 2013
    I was reserving judgment until I had time to use it a bit. Generally I like change and advancement, especially as it involves technology, but Flickr seems to be more cumbersome to move around in now versus the previous version. I find myself hunting for features and ways to move around in the new look. I am not sure we have gained anything by the change other than larger preview images.

One of the hazards of technology is the constant desire by those like Flickr to keep it "fresh." Unfortunately that does not always mean intuitive, more functional, or more easily navigated. Perhaps the motivation is appealing to a younger generation that seems to live and breathe in 20-second sound bites, acronym filled text messages, iPhones, Facebook, and Twitter. I am not a proponent of change for change's sake, and I have yet to find substantive advantages to the new look, but I will try to keep an open mind as I get used to the new format.
    Post edited by Beso on
    Occasionally a decent image ...