Bye Nikon

RifqiRifqi Posts: 130Member
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I don't know if anyone here has even noticed that I haven't been around lately, you usually just see me in the PAD once in a while. One reason is that I haven't had time to shoot that much lately and the other is that, since a few days ago, I'm no longer a Nikon shooter.

This has nothing to do with me being upset with Nikon in any way. In fact I still see a full frame Nikon in my very distant future. The reason for leaving Nikon is simply that I fell in love with Fuji's new X100S.

So I just wanted to let you know that you won't be seeing me around here anymore. I'll probably still do some lurking to keep up with Nikon related news though.

For those interested, here are some shots from my second day with the camera. If I can get these kind of results after two days with it, I'm sure it will be a long lasting love.

Alyzza rocking

Alyzza rocking

Alyzza rocking

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Enjoy your new camera. However, just because you found one camera a joy to use, should not prevent you from using another manufactures that you know so well. IMHO.

Happy shooting.....cya if we cya.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Rifqi

We will be here for you when you return.... But, in the meantime, enjoy the Fuji.... There is something very delightful about a "rangefinder" style camera which the non-mirror cameras do so well....
    Msmoto, mod
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @Rifqi, I've noticed, and pretty sure others have as well. I don't see a problem with dropping an occasional Fuji X100S photo in the PAD here and there. Your portraits have always been inspiring and thought provoking with regard to technique. Take care friend...and take care of the family.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I do not care what body a member used to take a picture and shares it with us on PAD. It is the shot that counts in my eyes.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited May 2013
    Yes, there is no need to shoot your PAD posts with a Nikon....this week I am shooting Olympus and if the D400 does not come around.....I will be with you and the Fuji line.

Just honor us with your presence now and then.

If you have not given up your Nikon equipment, hang on to it. My guess is Nikon will eventually give us a non-mirror camera with a cropped or full sensor and it will be able to use all the "F" Mount lenses......my opinion only...
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    Rifqi, still have you as a friend on Flickr (I am BornNearDaBayou) and hate to see you take a "vacation" from this forum. I enjoyed your macro shots immensely when I first started coming to this site.

That being said, I'm just relieved you didn't say you gave up on Nikon's DLSRs for an iPhone 5. Now that would be insanity.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just curious, did you sell all of your equipment or did you keep some lenses just in case as well?

Take care, stick around!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Rifqi!

Enjoy your new toy!

Take care.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Fujifilm is making great products - they are mastering the APS-C sensors and their focus shows. No one should feel bad about going to somewhere that inspires you to shoot!

I love my X100 and still use it every day - I wouldn't mind getting the new S, but I may just go for the next Xpro body since I really would like a 50mm equiv.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    @Rifqi - some of us have noticed your absence. I miss your portrait work on PAD but will continue to follow you on Flickr. Best wishes to you and your family wherever your journey takes you!
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • RifqiRifqi Posts: 130Member
    Thanks everyone. I'll certainly drop by the PAD once in a while if there are no objections to using different gear than Nikon. It's not like I'm very prolific with my shooting anyway so I'm not going to flood you with Fuji pictures :p

I still have my D3000 and a couple of lenses but I had to sell most of it to finance this camera. This is the most expensive product I've ever owned.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I'm fascinated by the pictures. Subject, composition, sharpness is great. The amount of backlight outshining does add a special atmosphere but in general I would not accept a lens with that behaviour. Great picture although the lens doesn't convince me fully.
    jj_so, I see what you mean. These are the first proper shots I've taken with it and I shot them with this specific effect in mind. It's without hood (it's been ordered) and wide open. I've heard that the X100 had quite a lot of flare and that the X100S is supposed to be a bit better. I'll have to try more when I have the hood and at different apertures.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    edited May 2013
    Rifqi....I did enjoy your many portraits of your family members ....and I'm sure a lot of us would surely recognize some of them if we were to..you-never-know ..run into them somewhere.... :D Enjoy shooting with your X100s and keep well...
    Post edited by CEBlueclouds on
    @Rifqi

Are you eve planning on doing photography at a pro level? We have observed some very great talents from you in the past on PAD.
    Msmoto, mod
    msmoto, no real plans for that, just some distant dreams :p I want to expand my shooting to include more subjects than just my family, maybe if I succeed with that I can think about trying to get paid once in a while. For now it's enough for me if I can just find more things to shoot.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    It's fixed focal length 35mm, isn't it?
    35mm equivalent, yes. It's 23mm on an APS-C sensor. It's kind of limiting and liberating at the same time.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have to say I agree with JJ_SO Rifqi. I don't know what your reasons for buying the Fuji, couldn't you have kept your Nikon body and just got a good 24mm? Anyways, I am sure the Fuji is a better camera than those first snaps, enjoy it and post some pics when you are getting the best out of it.
    Always learning.
    As I often put a prime on my camera and use it exclusively I understand "limiting and liberating". But, most important, I believe it will make us better photographers to use a fixed focal length and find out exactly the limitations. After a while we "learn" the lens well, and can change to something different.

My suspicions are if Fuji has caught your interest, you will be expanding to an interchangeable lens body at some point......
    Msmoto, mod
  • VipmediastarVipmediastar Posts: 55Member
    I have been interested in the x100 since it came out. This last weekend I shot with the d800-24-70 at the zoo and it's awesome. Especially for the kids in our group it focused fast and got some great snaps. Unfortunately the weight has caused me a stiff neck with a high pain. It's probably my fault I should have balanced the weight better but if I can't I really need to go to the Fuji system. I'm interested in seeing more of your pics.
    www.vipmediastar.com
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited May 2013
    My opinion only, but based on a couple of comments perhaps Rifqi's photos are getting a slight bit of misinterpretation. As proficient as he has proven himself to be I'm sure the look achieved in those pics is the look that he wanted. In fact, that background-sun washed look is quite popular now. Heck, there are Lightroom presets and Photoshop actions that cost $$ to achieve that look. Lots of fashion photographers are now shooting that style or post processing to get that look. So, I'm sure the X100S is quite capable of getting those clean, color rich, I dare-say sterile, photos we've gotten used to seeing. Reminds me of a saying that I read somewhere..."don't let your camera be an expensive Xerox machine." Wish I could, I'd trade my D7000 for one but it would be too much money lost.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

spraynpray, one of the main reasons for going this route was that my dslr simply didn't get used outside of my more serious work. I never brought it with me on family trips or when I did it just stayed in the bag. This camera will come with me a lot more and I will shoot a lot more with it. Hopefully that will also help me become a better photographer.

msmoto, I suspect that your suspicions may prove quite accurate. I'm already keeping an eye out for the future x-pro 2, which will compete with future full frame offerings from Nikon for my attention when the budget allows for it (we're talking at least 2-3 years here).

vipmediastar, the weight and bulk was always the main reasons my dslr stayed home if I didn't know I would be shooting something serious. This camera won't give me any such issues.

rx4photo, it's certainly true that the look in the photos is the look I was going for. I have read that this lens is indeed a bit prone to flare though. I don't see it as a problem though, you just have to be aware of it and be mindful how you compose. As I mentioned before this is also without a hood and people use hoods for a reason.

To me this camera represents changes that I want to make in my approach to photography. It's an awesome little camera but it's not a dslr killer; different tools for different approaches and jobs.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited May 2013
    ..... So, I'm sure the X100S is quite capable of getting those clean, color rich, I dare-say sterile, photos we've gotten used to seeing. Reminds me of a saying that I read somewhere..."don't let your camera be an expensive Xerox machine." .....
    I get paid to use my Nikon system to create documents, not to create art. But I've always admired the artistry of great photographers, including everybody but me who posts on PAD. I've just acquired the X100S to try my hand at art.
    It's too bad Nikon didn't come out with a Nikon S digital, but went with the P7700. The hybrid viewfinder of the X100s alone is worth the price of admission!
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    @Rifqi - some of us have noticed your absence. I miss your portrait work on PAD but will continue to follow you on Flickr. Best wishes to you and your family wherever your journey takes you!
    I second that.....