The thread from the old forum - http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=34715http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=23258
Hah ! Its back ! and you thought you laid it to rest ! I have been distracted by the new forum.. but its back stronger then before !
I have decided to call the 1.2 crop sensor the EX format, as in CX -> DX -> EX
I still think there is a place for this format.
To summarise some points for those not interested to read the threads from the old forum...
1) I speculated that several curious factor regarding the delay of the D400 and other unrelated curious facts seem to point to the possibility of a 1.2crop mode sensor camera.
2) I further speculated that if there were a EX sensor there could be 2 implementation of it
2.1) A D7000/D600 style advanced amateur unit - projected price of about $1400
2.2) A D300/D800 style EX pro unit - Projected price of about $2000 which gives the opton for a DX user for the same price to go FX(D600) or EX Pro body.
I also suggested that if the EX camera had a 4:5 crop mode then the diagonal length of that mode will fit in the image circle of all dx lenses
Thus the EX camera body could use all the DX lenses in DX crop mode or 4:5 crop mode. Plus many DX lenses could be used in full EX mode with only minor degradation to IQ in the corners (either vignette or blur). A key lens for this EX format would be the 12-24 Nikkor DX which should work well as it already works for FX from 16-24mm
There was suggestions that the Canon 1.3 format was dropped by canon so it was a bad idea and nikon should not pick it up. I investigated that and concluded that the Canon cameras had 3 main weaknesses and that this proposed EX Nikon camera will not have those weaknesses but will have all its strengths.
I listed some strengths of this format. i will reiterate them here and add to it ...
* It will be able to use all DX lenses - the canon 1.3 camera could not use the 1.6 format lenses. thus it did not have a good ultra wide solution. We will have that solution in the 12-24 dx lens.
* the 1.2 crop sensor will use the sweet spot of the FF lenses. Several older FX lenses with weak IQ in the corners can now be used without this penalty. the old 70-200 comes to mind. a whole set of old FX glass now will produce exceptional IQ on the EX format camera.
* Faster frame rate than its equivalent FX camera.
* Faster Flash sync speed than FX cameras
* the larger sensor will improve the perceived sharpness of DX lenses that can cover the EX 1.2 crop.
* a 25MP 1.2 crop sensor has the same pixel size as the D800. but Higher FPS, Smaller files, Faster Flash Sync speed.
* Prices below $1500 for advanced amateur version or below $2000. for the pro body. The Canon 1.3 was about 3500-4000.
My conclusion from the above is that we should consider the EX camera as a super DX camera rather than a cut down FX camera. It would thus be targeted at the people now who are waiting for a D300S replacement, and I would be one of those who would jump on this in a heart beat!
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.