Need Opinions

sumlybumlysumlybumly Posts: 4Member
edited September 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Please read this and throw any advice or opinions my way, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So I recently switched platforms, kind of. (I'm not a professional)

I shot Canon for 5 years (5D, 7D, 5DII) then sold all my gear and bought a D700 and a 50 1.8 and had that for 1 month then sold that and bought a point and shoot (RX100). Why did I do that? I'm not even sure, probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Now I wanna go back to Nikon again but not sure if I wanna get the D700 again or the D800, note that I don't have any Nikon gear whatsoever, and I don't wanna go back to Canon. The main reason why I don't want the D800 is because of the file sizes, (don't have the room on my computer and don't wanna get external HD's call me lazy if you'd like.) Plus I don't think I absolutely need 36mp. I like to shoot landscape, portraits, and cars. My budget is $7k and that will include lenses. As dumb as it sounds, I don't wanna go back to Canon because I prefer the round eyecup (Nikon), I know you can get it for Canon but it's not the same for me. I also like the ergonomics on Nikon. I might only get this chance once because my father is giving me the money for the gear so I don't want to regret what I buy. I want something new that I can start fresh with, one reason being why I'm not sure about the D700 but it looks like there's really not too many other options.

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    A used D700 and money to spend on great lenses sounds like a good idea. If you don't want the resolution of the D800 I can't see a reason to buy it. I have not used any of the cameras though.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Wait a month or two. Perhaps the D610 will be out and may be your best option.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I love spending people's money, here are my suggestions.

First the disclaimer. I have never used a D700 but have a friend who is a camera store owner and that is what he shoots. I have used a D800 for about 30 minutes and really liked the camera. Did not buy it for two reasons: size of file and the FPS which was important for me but not for you.

If you want to move now then I would buy the following (option #1):
    1. Check B&H, Adorama, and the Nikon web site to be sure there are no Refurbished D700 listed. If not, buy a used one with a low number of shutter activations. Otherwise, check Craig's List and eBay and check the local camera store.
    2. Buy a new Nikon 24-80mm F/2.8 wide angle zoom lens
    3. Buy a new Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 tele zoom lens. If money is tight, get the F/4 lens
    4. Buy a new Nikon 85mm F/1.8 G lens
    5. Buy new Nikon 12-24mm supper wide angle lens.
    6. Buy RRS "L" bracket for the camera and a RSS plate for the 70-200..
    7. Buy good filters for all the lens. UV + Circular polarizing filter.
    8. Buy a spare battery. Later you can add a battery grip.

Now here is the budget issue, all the lens add up to $7,032 and you have nothing left for the D700 or items #6 and #7. Second option substitute the Nikon 70-200mm F/4 lens which brings the lens cost down to $6,032. With careful shopping that should barely be enough for the D700 + item 6 + item 7. On second thought that $1,000 may not be enough. I love my 70-200mm F/2.8 and strongly recommend it over the 70-200mm F/4 lens.

Your third option is a mix and match of new and used lens to keep you within budget. Perhaps the 12-24mm lens should be bought used.

Finally, don't understate the cost of items 6 and 7. Good 77mm filters will cost you some money.

Finally the alternative is to wait until January for the D610. Of course if Nikon only announces it in January and it's not available until March this may not be a good option.

Take your time and put the list together with cost so you know which lens to buy used. You may have to buy two used lens to meet your budget. I am sure we would all like to give our suggestions for which ones to buy used. Not everyone has the chance to start over, so take your time and don't jump to fast.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sumlybumlysumlybumly Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for advice, I might do just that, I did find a D700 in another City that has only 4200 shutter actuation's, and as far as a wide angle goes, I had my eye on the 16-35 f4 only because I think 14 is a little too wide.
    edited September 2013
    Sumlybumly...the 16-35 is a nice comprise to the 12-24 but don't have experience with the16-35. Wow, 4,200 shutter activations is low.
    I logged back in to leave the prices I used...meant to do that but forgot.
    The 24-70 is $1,887
    The 70-200 is $2,397 for the 2.8 and $1,397 for the F/4
    The 85mm is $1,649
    The 12-24 is $1,099.

Hope that helps.

The
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Prices from B&H:

D800 + Nikon 24-70 bundle: $4483
    Nikon 16-35: $1256
    13" MacBook Pro i5: $1059

Total: $6800

You get a great camera with no regrets, plus two excellent lenses you'll use 95% of the time, a nice new laptop to handle the big files, and money left over for memory cards, Lightroom, etc.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Lol you always need external hd for backup. Always!

Let me suggest something slightly different. Take a look at fujifilm x-pro 1 and their fujinon lenses. I know acouple of photographers who have sold all ther gear (one used nikon the other used canon) and moved to the fuji.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited September 2013
    First things first, your storage is going to be an issue regardless which body you go with. The more you shoot the more space you will need, thus you should address this.

Second, make sure your long term needs are meet regarding the lenses you buy; hence, if you are going to invest in a FX body get FX lenses. Go with only a few lenses to start and see if your passion for photography grows or not. Pick a lens with in a focal length that you like. Start out with a nice prime lens (35, 50, 85mm) and one telephoto (24-70 2.8 or the new 80-400mm)

Third, forget the 12-24 it is for DX not FX. Should you consider a wide angle lens go with the legendary 14-24 2.8.

Lastly, the D700 is a very solid body and if you find one at a good price with a low shutter count...go for it. If not then, I would recommend going with the D800 and adding an external HD to your system to keep your files safe and sound. If you are not going to do a lot of post processing then don't shoot in RAW/NEF shoot in JPEG..this will aid in keep your image size smaller.

Good luck and happy shopping...
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited September 2013
    This is the Fuji X-E1 page from the guy who used to shoot nikon. check out his last page as he gets more familiar with his new gear.. http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com/p532650360
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Golf007sd said:

Third, forget the 12-24 it is for DX not FX. Should you consider a wide angle lens go with the legendary 14-24 2.8.

Ouch my mistake...Your correct. I meant the 14-24 2.8.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2013
    The main reason why I don't want the D800 is because of the file sizes, (don't have the room on my computer and don't wanna get external HD's call me lazy if you'd like.) Plus I don't think I absolutely need 36mp.
    If you love landscapes then you do need a D800 and 36mp
    you also need to shoot RAW and learn to use Lightroom
    forget the D700 when it comes to landscapes and cars the D800 is in a completely different league, (you may not notice much difference to the D700 for portraits )

but you also need a new computer i7 at least 12MB of RAM at least 2 TB hard drive
    you don't need an external, although one for back is a good idea

the 24 -120 f 4 is Nikon best "do everything lens"

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Honestly: If I were you, even though the money would be burning a hole in my pocket, I'd wait for the D610 as @donaldjose suggested or take @sevencrossings advice. Both are good.

While I am being honest: I have to say that though that what you posted makes you sound like a spoiled child or somebody who believes the answers to great photos are in better gear.

Always learning.

While I am being honest: I have to say that though that what you posted makes you sound like a spoiled child or somebody who believes the answers to great photos are in better gear.

Well yes i am a spoiled child, does that bother you? And not a big fan of the D600/D610. And all my life I've had good gear, if I have the money to spend what do you want me to do? Buy cheap gear? I think not. Just being honest.
    edited September 2013
    sumlybumly" I have the money to spend what do you want me to do?

buy a D800 and the 24 -120 :) It really is "good gear" I really cannot under stand the "too many mega pixels" argument

sumlybumly" I have the money to spend what do you want me to do?

buy a D800 and the 24 -120 :) It really is "good gear" I really cannot under stand the "too many mega pixels" argument

It's not the megapixels its the file sizes, but I'm just about over this dilemma and just gonna get the D800.
    you will not be disappointed
    but you do need a new computer
    Jpgs are quite good from the D800.. just use JPG files until you can upgrade your PC. or use compressed raw. if you have enough space.

You will love the D800. Start with shooting JPG small size basic and then move up the scale to JPG small normal and JPG small fine. Then go to JPG medium basic, normal and fine. Finally go to JPG large basic, normal and fine. That will give you nine different file sizes to determine what your computer can handle. RAW will be larger file sizes. You likely won't see much difference in the image as displayed on your monitor and you likely won't need RAW until you get into extensive post processing work.
    edited September 2013
    just beware, if in future, you do master a program such as Lightroom ; you will kick yourself for shooting that gob making, amazing, never to seen again, shot, as a small jpeg

use the second card for small jpegs but seriously consider using the other one for RAW
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    In my opinion get a d800 and take advantage of the current Nikon sales.
    Get the sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. Nikon 85mm 1.8g.

I don't like to crop as I prefer to frame it correctly the first time. Having said that I have cropped a few photos recently due to the 35mm gives me to much dead space and now I crop with confidence with the d800
    The sigma is my favorite lens but I still have to master it. I'm used to filling the frame during composition and moving from dx to fx was the best decision ever I just need to learn it well.
    I have an issue with the files but it has helped me taking better photos and more diligent on keeping the keepers and deleting the bad ones.

also some people are recommending Fuji. It's a great camera but for the slow auto focus and shutter lag made me return it because for my toddler and street that was not acceptable to me. The files were great and all but in the end Nikon wins.
    I am considering the Fujis .. and I think i may get one for my carry anywhere kit. the focus speed has had an improvement in the last firmware upgrade. and its quite reasonable now. but yes for me the Nikon still wins. For me the CLS flash system is too good to give up.

Agreed, it is a good idea to use the second card slot for RAW - If you have enough hard drive storage space to store all that data and that can be a big if - but the original poster said he did not have that extra space and did not want to get an external hard drive so perhaps he needs to find the most efficient file size for him for now.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2013

but you also need a new computer i7 at least 12MB of RAM at least 2 TB hard drive
    you don't need an external, although one for back is a good idea
    Bunch of BS. Somehow or another I get by editing D800 RAW files with a nearly three year old machine with a Quad Core i5 and a 1TB HDD. Then again I have 12GB RAM, and a boat load of external drives. :D You should never just rely on one internal drive, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP! Seriously, have at least three backups of everything on your computer (not just photos).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited September 2013
    Bunch of BS. Somehow or another I get by editing D800 RAW files with a nearly three year old machine with a Quad Core i5 and a 1TB HDD. Then again I have 12GB RAM, and .
    my back up computer has a similar configuration and yes its fine

but if you are buying a new computer, to go with your new camera, an i7 will make editing faster smoother and less stressful . If you don't like external drives 2 x 1 or 2 TB internals will do the job

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member

Well yes i am a spoiled child, does that bother you? And not a big fan of the D600/D610. And all my life I've had good gear, if I have the money to spend what do you want me to do? Buy cheap gear? I think not. Just being honest.

Hi all,

@sumlybumly if you lay your cards on the table, you'll get honest answers. For some it will bother.

Whatever camera your father's money buys you, you'll have more than just body and lens, but other stuff. It isn't ever going to be this and this and that's that. It isn't how it works. You might want to talk to dad and express that you'll want to come back to the well for more after the initial purchase when you have figured out what your really need based upon your shooting style, storage needs, software needs (there's so much it's hard to recommend based on what your going to do with the products you intend to create), and perhaps some training and education that you might want to attend.

Seven grand for a camera is sort of a entry to a career-like step and if that's what you mean to do, you'll want to make a steep look where you're going. (One of my young friends has a six-figure education debt - she'll owe that for a long, long time.)

OTOH, if this is just a playful hobby, why would you want to use that much money on something in this direction? Micro 4/3, for example, is lighter and more nimble, and although not as refined would suit most if not all hobbyists.

My best,

Mike