Nikon 1 AW1

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited September 2013 in Nikon 1
Just curious, is no one interested in this at all? I still don't like the fact that it doesn't have a viewfinder, but other than that it ticks all the right boxes. If I were to drop $800 on a new camera, I might actually get this. Having the shockproof/waterproof aspect is a good plus. Besides, a good underwater housing is what, $300, $400 on top of the camera? Plus it will still use all the old Nikon 1 lenses.

They should have just called it the Nikonos 1 though.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    And, with the FT1 adapter, and a crop factor of 2.7, it get's really interesting with an 80-400mm with a TC1.4 on it...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2013
    very interested.. i have been looking for an underwater camera or tool/capability for a long time. this fits the bill ! but will probably do the prudent thing and wait for AW2 :-) in case there is dust on the sensor ;-) on the other hand my wife breaks every camera I have ever given her.. this one may be able to take her abuse :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2013
    And, with the FT1 adapter...
    Which then removes the waterproof seal on the camera. Might as well get a normal Nikon 1 body.

As for the AW1 itself, I think it is a good camera. If Nikon focuses the Nikon 1 system on being tough and waterproof it might actually grab some market share.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Just because you have an underwater camera does have to mean you only use it when diving. The FT1 adapter of course is not waterproof, and neither are the many lenses that can then be attached to the AW1, but a camera with so many uses is interesting...
    edited September 2013
    Just because you have an underwater camera does have to mean you only use it when diving. The FT1 adapter of course is not waterproof, and neither are the many lenses that can then be attached to the AW1, but a camera with so many uses is interesting...
    The whole nikon1 system is interesting .. but priced too high.. the AW1 underwater feature tips the Value balance positively. Also the new 20MP 1" sensor from sony (in the RX100) which I am expecting in the next generation Nikon1 cameras is very nice. I can see the AW series being the main Nikon1 product line.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    My point was, why bother getting a waterproof camera if you are just going to put something on it that negates that? You might as well get a V2, which actually has a viewfinder, real mode dial etc.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    And, with the FT1 adapter...
    Which then removes the waterproof seal on the camera. Might as well get a normal Nikon 1 body.

As for the AW1 itself, I think it is a good camera. If Nikon focuses the Nikon 1 system on being tough and waterproof it might actually grab some market share.
    Right, but with the right lens it might still be quite durable- maybe with a 105mm macro AF-S. It would be quite the interesting combination.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited September 2013
    I can almost imagine 3 sub lines to the aw series.. say
    * AWa - for the people who only want to play on the beach .. good for 5m underwater comes in hot pink and floro green ! may even float .. so you cant loose it if you drop it over board!
    * AWb - the same as the curret AW1 line
    * AWc - for up to 30m underwater for the scuba divers..

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    If I understand right...
    --AW1 takes AW lenses (underwater) and behaves as a regular Nikon 1 in terms of compatibility out of water.
    --AW lenses mount on AW camera ONLY (not a huge issue presently as there are dryland same-spec lenses for regular Nikon 1 users)

So...

Suppose Heartyfisher's AWc body comes out that can go deeper. Are the current AW lenses going to be able to go deeper (thinking the f/2.8 prime in particular, need speed down there) or would AWc have its own class of lenses?
    edited September 2013
    from what i have seen of how the mount works i think it can be made more water tight. so no it wont need a different lens just a different body mount. I think there are also ways to add a compressible section to the body to reduce the pressure difference. you know like the lid of cans/bottles that go pop when you open them the first time.. i should probably patent that :-)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Just my opinion, but if Nikon think that there isn't a big enough market to either make a D400 or make the D300s replacement any kind of priority it at all, why would they split hairs for what has to be a tiny market - those scuba divers who go deeper than the rest?

I like the AW1 as is - it is a P&S that has a USP over cell phone cameras (for the moment). I see a lot of lower end basic P&S's being dropped in the next year, so this maybe what Nikon need.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    , but if Nikon think that there isn't a big enough market to either make a D400 or make the D300s replacement any kind of priority it at all, why would they split hairs for what has to be a tiny market - those scuba divers who go deeper than the rest?
    There is a much bigger market for cameras under £1000 than for cameras over £1000
    Nikon tried to keep the price of D400 under £1000 they ended up with the D7100

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Some thoughts... This shoots 12 bit RAW, has a pixel size about half the area of a. D7100, and is rated at 6400 ISO. Just how well does this work at 6400? And with the small pixels, does it have much dynamic range and color considering the 12 bit vs 14 bit issue ?
    Msmoto, mod
    Its not really a high ISO camera ! the DXO says its about the same as the D70 but from the pictures i have seen it looks much better.. probably the noise reduction software has improved so much that it actually looks quite ok at iso 3200. However, its miles ahead of any of the P&S underwater cameras. at base iso up to 800 its really quite fantastic ! Check out the V2 .. it has the same sensor as the V2 and the J3.

• tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    This camera definitely seems very intriguing. I have been wanting to buy one like that for a long time. However, when I read the reviews of the current compact underwater cameras, pretty much every model from every manufacturer seems to have high percentage of reviews of leaking compartments. I really hope this one is designed and built to a better quality and can be different.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    For me, the "secret" to great underwater pictures is external lighting. So I'm intrigued by the new SB-N10 underwater flash. But it's not available until next year and I haven't read anything about its supposed performance.

I also agree with heartyfisher that 15m/49ft is not deep enough for scuba. If you're going on a scuba trip chances are some dives will be deeper than 49ft, forcing you to leave the camera in the dive boat unless you only do shallow dives. On our last dive we used a simple case for the Canon S95 point and shoot, which is rated to 130ft.

So I think for most scuba divers, the AW1 isn't a good option... it's maybe better to get a regular J1 or J2 and the WP-N1 waterproof housing (plus maybe the SB-N10 flash when it comes out). Hmm, I wonder if the AW1 can fit in the WP-N1 for extra depth when required?
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    Just my opinion, but if Nikon think that there isn't a big enough market to either make a D400 or make the D300s replacement any kind of priority it at all, why would they split hairs for what has to be a tiny market - those scuba divers who go deeper than the rest?I like the AW1 as is - it is a P&S that has a USP over cell phone cameras (for the moment). I see a lot of lower end basic P&S's being dropped in the next year, so this maybe what Nikon need. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1600/nikon-1-aw1#sthash.K6TKnXjh.dpuf
    Pretty much, I think the market for an upgrade from the typical tough P&S is likely to be far larger than the serious dive market, the really serious users would want a larger sensor anyway.

Generally I think its a good move for the 1 system simply because it seems to exploit the smaller sensor more. Up until now I think the advantage of that sensor has been held back by the need to have a camera large enough for serious use and the basics of a lens mounting system. Adding the extra sealing/shock resistance to the system though likely allows Nikon to save a good deal of size relative to say a m43 system with similar specs.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The Go Pro (be a Hero) sales have been fantastic. Nikon is well aware of this. Go Pro is unbeatable for quality and cost underwater. The Nikon 1 AW is a longer lens mirrorless camera and may well have a marginally better image. In our experience which spans many years and at least 25 cameras, wider angle lens like the Go Pro uses have distinct advantages UW. The watertight, shockproof, etc., make the Nikon 1 AW1 one of the most interesting cameras Nikon has offered. Problem is the price for an untested camera is a little high to sponsor individuals from testing this camera and lens. Apparently adding the alternative mounts and lens makes the camera a hybrid mirrorless camera but negates all the inherent benefits of the stock camera. At that point I woud just say keep your 80-400VR lens for use on a DSLR Nikon and crop the image. The Nikon 1 AW1 is BEST used as it comes right now, NOT adding mounts and lens which degrade the watertight and shockproof features.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Bump

Heading to Bora Bora this winter - all of a sudden this camera has become an option - not sure how much though.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    I would be interested to see how you do if you take this camera. I wish you could take along a less than $400 GO Pro to use for comparison. I think the STOCK Nikon 1 AW 1 would be pretty interesting and I wish I could justify buying one for a comparison test. We are off to Belize this November and will have a lot of aerial cameras and underwater to use once again. Last year in British Virgin Islands that kind of gear performed well except for a highly rated Canon P&S for that UW use. The Canon died in its first UW swim. My guess is the Nikon 1 AW 1 will be QUITE good! Please let us know what you fond out! Wish you already had that report as maybe we'd invest in one too?
    It looks like we now may be going to the British Virgin Islands instead. Father just got offered by someone to buy the reservations. I had heard of that but never knew anyone who experienced it.

Any way - I'm really starting to lean towards the AW1 if not for anything else but ease and carefree use. I would like to think the image quality would be better. I do not like that it doesn't have a good flash or a 35 or 50 prime in the weather sealed versions. It is really just a J3 in different clothes.

One thing is my parents would find it easy to use as well as they have never been picture folk. Growing up we would get a roll of film developed and it would have 2 birthdays (both mine), 2 Christmases and everything in between on the same 24 exp. roll. They just want to push a button and that is it.

I just looked at a Go Pro as well but honestly the AW1 would be good enough. I'm just not a video person at all nor do I have any software to handle it.

To be honest, if I were to get one, I would prefer the V2 for the faster flash sync and apparent better quality. (Not sure how true that is.) Beaches, snorkeling, and island hopping, the AW1 is the smarter choice.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Due to the waterproof, shockproof, etc. of the Nikon 1 AW1 I think that camera is the most interesting Nikon offering since the D7100 for me. The D800E is the camera I'd like to spring for but I am having a hard time spending that much when the D7100s, D3200, and quite a few Nikkor lens are doing so well and the GoPro being the action camera success it has been for us. We are gradually shifting towards our time lapse imagery being done by the D200s and the same shutter release mechanism that Jim Balog used in Chasing Ice. I would LIKE to see a Nikon 1 AW 1 in V2 set up as that is where I would go if I were just buying a mirrorless Nikon. I have been following Thom Hogan's usage and advice on Nikon 1s for some time. But the Nikon i AW I is the first nikon mirrorless offer that we have seen that really catches our interest. We are looking at B&H in NYC in November just before the Belize trip.
    I agree the Nikon 1 AW 1 is something we haven't seen In quite some time - larger/er frame system with interchangeable lenses. I just don't like the image quality of the current waterproof cameras. The sensor and processing engine does matter.
    I have been thinking about time-lapse stuff with it as you could easily leave it outside and not have to worry about weather as much.
    I have checked out the Nikon 1 AW 1 now about as much as I can without actually buying one. Looks like a Nikon 1 AW 1 may come along to Belize in the 11-27 lens only model ($796 @ B&H) but still am not certain. That will be a November trip. I do not think we would ever invest in the two lens Nikon 1 AW 1 Black two lens kit. We are also adding a 4K new camera which I know very little about. Time lapse has been a wonderful tool for us and we have used it from ice related winter stuff so it has been tested in extreme environments. I think the Nikon 1 AW 1 is basing quite a bit on the Go Pro sales massive success. Even their naming like white and black (for the two lens kit) reflects that. I do know Go Pro time lapse works like a charm (max. space between images is 20 seconds though which is not all that much). I do know this Nikon 1 AW 1 looks like a home run! Still would love to have a D800 like TaoTe Jared is using, but the D7100 is pretty great. The WORST feature about the Go Pro is the mini-SD card which is both problematic and in my mind unnecessary mini sizing. A SD card is quite small but very reliable. Good luck to ALL!
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Let us know how your AW 1 does in Belize (I'm assuming you'll be diving with it). I'm considering one for a similar trip.