Nikon Retro F-Mount Camera (FM2 Style)

PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
edited November 2013 in Df
If you haven't seen the recent blog post by Peter, do so! Rumors of a retro Nikon F-Mount camera (FM2 style) using the D4's 16MP sensor. There is some talk of it being a hybrid with a pentaprism, so it still has a mirror. It will be interesting to see if it will use translucent tech like Sony, or simply has on sensor AF like the Nikon 1 for use in liveview.

If this rumor is true, it is the camera I've been waiting to see for the last five years!
Post edited by Golf007sd on
If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
Tagged:

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am sure that there will be lots of "lookers" and a few buyers. Isn't this a niche marketing opportunity? How many would actually buy it that read this blog?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    I have a body, a back-up body (my missus' everyday D90), and a body converted to IR. I'd like to say each of my DSLRs has a 'personality' but their personalities are all the same tonight: looking at me terrified, fearful one of them will be "accidentally" dropped in the harbour the day the pre-order opens on this new camera.

So therein lies the rub: I'd love one of these cameras, but whilst I can always justify buying another piece of glass, I can never talk myself into a new body unless the current one is beyond repair. Even the D90 can take 95%+ of the images I want, so I can't even make the case to sell that one.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2013
    I know right? I've been pining for one of these cameras too!

I could stick the 50mm 1.2 on the front of it!

There is a time when you want the camera just to collect it...

I hope the Nikon script on the pentaprism is the old school style too!

DSC_0147

Along this style...
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    To me this camera would take the place of my current backup. Frankly it would be nice keep my current lenses and have a more the retro design for light duty.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    It's always a tough call before the specs and form factor are public, but a small camera with the D4 sensor and an F-mount so I don't have to buy a new line of lenses?

Very interesting, indeed.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    If its fast, Im in. Otherwise it'll have to be really reasonably priced for me to think twice about it. :)
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    Rumored specs for those who haven't seen the blog entry:

Nikon FM2 like design
    16.2MP 36x23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
    SD memory card
    2016-pixel RGB image sensor
    9-cell framing grid display
    3D color matrix metering II
    Native ISO range: 100-12800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
    5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
    3.2" LCD screen
    Battery:EN-EL14
    Dimensions: 143,5 x 110 x 66,5mm
    Weight: 765g

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com#ixzz2iJg6yAv6
  • EmceeEmcee Posts: 48Member
    Why couldn't they just put the D4 sensor in the D800 body...

I do like the concept and if I was in the market for a new FF this would be on my radar.
    D800 | 14-24 2.8G, 28 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 58 1.4G, 85 1.4D, 24-85G VR
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Could this be the second body I'm waiting for?
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I prefer having a second body with the same control layout as my first body so I can more quickly find and change the settings.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    This could well be my main body relegating the d700 to backup.

But then again, it might not.
    @donaldejose I agree that normally I would like to have the same controls, but at this point I'm not worried about it, because as long as the control layout is anything like the FM series I'm familiar with them already. I mean you throw in the usual controls on the back and away you go. That is, if Nikon gets it right and has an ISO dial where the ASA settings where, rather than useless mode dial. The model dial should simply be integrated with the shutter speed dial, like it was on the FE series.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    My guess is that it'll be somewhere between the two, shutter speed, ISO and/or exposure comp dials on the top but also a control wheel on the front to allow for G lenses, probably retain the AF on/off and mode controls on the mount as well provided its AF(I'd be supprized if it isn't as its taller than an FM2 and that's too niche a market IMHO).
    True, although I think they could easily use the position of the film winder for the aperture dial.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    While this is attractive , I cannot imagine why anyone would actually use it as a pro camera. The ergonomics of the newer bodies is what has been improved, plus, if this has D4 features... It will no doubt be very pricey.

And, why produce this when what we are looking for is a new full frame mirror less, or D400?
    Msmoto, mod
    edited October 2013
    Nobody ever said it was meant as a pro camera. Lets face it, this camera is targeted at the same people who like the Fuji X cameras and the OMD.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    We will have to see the price. If it has similar performance as D4, 10 FPS, same AF, buffer, etc., the price will be in the pro range,I.e., higher than $3,000. IMO. I agree, it will have some appeal, but only a niche market, and that is my point about Nikon using its resources wisely.

I find it attractive, but not necessarily something I would buy.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited October 2013
    Look at the specs Peter posted, nothing like that at all. 5.5fps. Gosh I hope it doesn't have the shutter from the D600. Doesn't look like it will be anything like the D4, other than maybe the sensor.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    While this is attractive , I cannot imagine why anyone would actually use it as a pro camera. The ergonomics of the newer bodies is what has been improved, plus, if this has D4 features... It will no doubt be very pricey. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1742/nikon-retro-f-mount-camera-fm2-style?post#Form_Body
    I'd argue this might actually be a smart move by Nikon, if they put out the D4 sensor in say a D800 body they'd be in the same situation as the D3 and the D700 again with the latter likely stealing sales from the former.

By putting the sensor in a "retro" body with controls aimed more at amatures it could mean theres much less potential crossover hence this camera doesnt need to be priced too highly in order to recoup lost D4 sales.

If they can price it relatively low(or at least drop it down a few months after release) I think they could potentially appeal to the "second camera" market for FF users. As it stands I'm guessing Fuji espeically have been profiting alot from this but the chance to use the same lenses would surely be a big plus?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Personally, I just don't get this retro craze
    but then I nearly always use a modern zoom lens, aperture priority and auto ISO
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    edited October 2013
    While this is attractive , I cannot imagine why anyone would actually use it as a pro camera.
    You'd be surprised what pros will use to get the job done. I certainly would have no issue with using one if it fits my needs. Many pros are super keen to move away from DSLRs.
    We will have to see the price. If it has similar performance as D4, 10 FPS, same AF, buffer, etc. ...
    Yes, it will need to be a lot cheaper than a D4 and have the same low light/super fast AF to convince me.
    I find it attractive, but not necessarily something I would buy.
    You own a D4, so why would you?
    Post edited by Gareth on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm not sure if I get it. Is it the combination of small size and full frame that makes this camera interesting? And what makes it not a DSLR?
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I'm not sure if I get it. Is it the combination of small size and full frame that makes this camera interesting? And what makes it not a DSLR?
    I think what makes it exciting is that if it is the 16mp D4 sensor, it's the D700 replacement people had always wanted. Plus they added the manual controls and ergonomics people had wanted too.

From the rumors, it still is a DSLR.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am another one who totally fails to see this retro style at all. Nothing in photography has ever appealed to me that was retro. NOTHING! I saw the images of the proposed camera. If I want to go back 40 or 50 years it is not to have this style a camera! I do suppose that it would not cost that much to make this camera. If I were NIKON I would be putting my eggs in some other basket.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I'm not sure if I get it. Is it the combination of small size and full frame that makes this camera interesting?
    Kick-ass FF sensor, small body.

It's not what everyone wants, but it sure beats neutered sensor in a small body for those who want a simple camera that you can trust to churn out top-notch high ISO images.

To me, the retro styling is mostly irrelevant, as I wouldn't use it for 'work' per se. I haven't been at all attracted to the mirrorless cameras because I haven't liked the image quality enough to get over the form factor, especially with the requirement to buy new lenses. But this camera theoretically eliminates many of my reservations.

The lens it comes with is also irrelevant to me as I am not a huge fan of the 50mm focal length (for me, a 35 would have been much better), but if it's a pancake or even just smaller than the existing 50s I could understand what Nikon is trying to do.

Also, it will probably have video but for people like me who wouldn't shoot video with their DSLR, its presence is not necessary in the quest for a simple camera.

Can't wait to see the official specs and features (I do love me some rumors and Peter does a great job with pre-release information, but I can't help but feel there's a Nikon brain fart waiting to happen).
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
This discussion has been closed.