Nikon Df General Discussion

Comments

• PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    As a current D800 user my only complaint regarding the MP count that I find handheld in low light, my technique lets me down way before it does with my D700.

I'm not even thinking about getting rid of the D800. It's a landscape photographer's dream come true. The D700 however...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2013
    Sorry Bob I am not talking about those of us who have a D800
    I referring to those people who use "too many mega pixels" as an excuse for not getting one
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    They just need to grow a pair:)
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    If this has been asked and answered, I apologize:

The accompanying lens, is there any new optics in that at all or is it strictly cosmetics for hipsters?
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    I am guessing that Nikon is really directing this camera to the people who have the money to spend and don't really care about camera performance per $. Overpriced for what it does. Probably right on the money (lotsa profit, too) for the crowd that'll buy it simply because it's "cool". Just like the chopper craze with motorcycles. The damn things were junk as far as motorcycles go, but they sold for big bucks because they were "cool". I passed on the chopper craze, and I'll pass on the Df.
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member

The accompanying lens, is there any new optics in that at all or is it strictly cosmetics for hipsters?
    Seems to be new lense, but cosmetics driven for hipsters.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member

Looks like it makes a noise
    . Its manual focusing ring features the knurling/hatching of classic manual lenses for precise focus adjustments.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Wow Bob, I know some people have a big camera as a distraction from their small willy, but you think that the mp count is proportionate to the size of peoples balls too? I honestly had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited November 2013
    Why I will probably buy a D800E instead:
    I have used the D800 since the first week it was out, and am on my third body now (I broke one and sold one to a client early on when they were still hard to get), and it is a gem. Too many megapixels? I do focus stacking in Photoshop with 10 RAW exposures at a time and my MacBook Pro handles it just fine. I love to crop: one shot and crop just what I need to get my message across. (As for those who think there is something about cropping that shows poor technique, don't you remember how many rolls of film you would go through to get the right shot in the old days? Technique then was as much spending money on film as careful composition, because I never really knew what I had until I went to the enlarger.)
    I thought the Df would be fun to use with all my old Nikkor manual lenses, but I can't afford $3,000 for another toy. For more than $2K I need a commercial justification for buying it, and as cool as the Df is, I am not a street shooter or candid shooter: I take pictures of very large and very small mechanical and electronic devices, and what the camera looks like doesn't matter. I'm keeping my X100S as the personal camera.
    It's too bad, because the Df aesthetics appeal to me.
    Next year, maybe.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2013
    Nikon had on opertunity with this camera and threw it away. First they cheaped out on the body, which is not even fully mag alloy. Second they reached into the parts bin and grabbed all the stuff from the poorly selling D600 they could. Third, no viewfinder aids to help when using manual focus lenses. So new tech or inivations. Fourth, price is insane.

What will I buy instead? Maybe a Sigma lens? Good ridence Nikon, you no longer have a clue about what your user base wants.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2013
    I would enjoy using the Df user interface and I would enjoy having the D4 sensor (has anyone confirmed it is the D4 sensor rather than a new sensor?). But, I don't see it replacing my D800 prime body and I don't see it serving as a good second body because of the very different user interface. I would like to see Nikon offer the same camera in two different user interfaces so you could get the D800 sensor in a Df body, the D4 sensor in a Df body and the D610 sensor in a Df body. Basically, give the Nikon user the option of having each sensor in either the "new" or the "old" body style. Then the Df could be a first and second body for those who like its user interface. Nikon can develop one set of "guts" and just put them into two different style bodies. That should double the lineup without doubling the development costs. As it is I see the Df as a niche camera.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    edited November 2013
    It is the Nikon 1 V1 all over again. They ask to much - no buyers - they release the V2 - they ask to much - no buyers - they discount the V1 - they sell a few V1s. What happens? You only see old Nikon models.

Contrast that with the D800. Right price. And they sold a boat load. You see a lot of nice new Nikon models. Nikon made an impact with the D800 - not so with the V1 and V2.

Nikon will sell a few when the Df is getting old and tired - and they will sell at a lower price. And they will not make an impact on the market.

Nice camera. But for the money there is so many other nice offerings out there. Sad
    Post edited by henrik1963 on
    Wow Bob, I know some people have a big camera as a distraction from their small willy, but you think that the mp count is proportionate to the size of peoples balls too? I honestly had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out.
    He was talking about a pair of flowers or vegetables. Maybe habaneros.

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Exactly... Shame on you for bringing it into the gutter immediately O:-)

All said though, if I had USD3K lying around, and I wasn't on the look-out for a backup camera, and I'd be satisfied with a D610, I probably would think the Df was the right one.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Personally, if time tests the D610 well, it will find a home with me.

As for the Df - How much I would like to love you, and how much it is wrong.

A mechanical camera is mechanical not relying on electronic power. This is a digital camera that has a 'facade' body on it to make it look mechanical.

There's nothing to the body (unless I'm totally wrong) that couldn't be in a few weatherized buttons something like a D7100 and cost $1100 or less (since there's no magnesium). The Df's just a 'look', and nothing more.

It takes nice pictures like Adamz says, but really, doesn't that make it look like plain hooey to anyone else but me? And the price, jeez. Buttons are actually easier to use, aren't they?

For the market this is aimed for, I looked up 'niche' market and it isn't 'chump's' market.

My best,

Mike
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    "The Df very well may be the first camera marketed and sold to the AARP crowd." Thom Hogan
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited November 2013
    "The Df very well may be the first camera marketed and sold to the AARP crowd." Thom Hogan
    Maybe this is right. I know a lot of people my age were late coming to DSLRs, using Minolta and Olympus cameras with film until you couldn't buy it any more and cell phone or cheap point and shoots for digital. But if that is the target market, they are two years behind for first cameras, as everyone I know have by now gone to DSLRs, mostly Canon. So it could be they are looking to sell to the retired crowd who want to upgrade to full frame. In that case, price high, control costs, and make a boatload of money. The market is HUGE. They aren't targeting the denizens of NRF.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I am on the fence about this mainly for one reason, the D800 is a marvel and the deal of a lifetime.

I look when I got my D700, the price was around $2400-2600. The Df has a few more MP and better low light/high ISO performance (based on the D4 sensor). Many street shooters don't need high frames per second, they need great high ISO abilities. You could buy a used D3s or the D4, both of which cost the same or way more than the Df. The retro look is a nifty feature but like I mentioned before and others have too, I care more about what it can do not what it looks like (if I didn't like the results I get with it, nobody would see it because it would always be in the bag and not used). I also like the fact it is a bit smaller than most recent bodies so it would be easier to carry around for general purpose shooting. There have been quite a few times I have been out and thought, I really wish I had my camera (this still isn't small but the odds I would carry would improve over my current situation).

I don't have a D800 due to slow frames per second, the Df is not much faster but since it has better high ISO abilities I would be more tempted to use this for night time street photography.. This is something that fast frames per second really wouldn't help me with. I guess my main problems with this is, it only has one card slot (and its an SD card at that, I have mostly CF cards ugh). I wonder why they didn't include 51 AF points, I doubt I would notice the difference between that and the 39 it has but my D700 has 51 AF points. My last complaint is the battery, great something else to carry with me. If it had the same battery as the D800 or D7000 I would understand, figured any camera in this price range the users might have more than one camera so try to match this to current users (I know the D700 battery is no longer made so understand why that would not be a choice). I don't have any MF lenses but I am hearing from others that the focus screen will not be MF lens friendly. I believe this would be/is a mistake given the body style of the camera and the adds that Nikon made, kinda false if you ask me.

I don't think this camera is a steal like the D800/e but don't think its a total dud either, its half a D4 at half the price.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Let's be very careful about the AARP crowd comments….. B-)

LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • SEPCSEPC Posts: 3Member
    Posted this elsewhere, thought I'd add it here:
    I was ready to fall in love, I was excited, I was hoping this was a blind date that would turn out to be the real thing. After the fiasco I had with the D600, I'd gone to the Fuji X-E1, but still lusted after Nikon, waiting for them to come out with a lightweight full frame. And there it was, tantalizing, on the horizon, advertised w/ a ruggedly good looking man straight from an ED commercial. And then today - sure, I can have it, but I'd have to go back to the heaviness dragging me down around my neck (more than 2x the weight of my Fuji body), no more fill flash available at the touch of a button, no more auto ISO for quickly changing lighting conditions. Love the idea of a 16 MP FX sensor, was happy to get rid of video, thought this would be "the one." But such simple things are missing! And such heaviness!
    This woman is waiting for the next generation, when Nikon figures out that retro styling is not enough.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Amen....
    Let's be very careful about the AARP crowd comments…..
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Maybe thr Nikon A is this cameras cheaper version.
    I had forgotten about that camera. Seems like this is another camera Nikon doesnt please the crowd with pricing strategy.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    What! American Association of Retired Photographers, AARP.... What's the problem?

framer
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    No one has mentioned the possibility of seeing the Df sensor in a D800 body. I think this would be another alternative for Nikon that possibly would be a good seller. Just thinking out loud!