My Multi Selector Wheel is GONE!

Mike720Mike720 Posts: 5Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I just switch to NIkons and so far I love it. This is my first Pro-level camera and it just works right and capture beautiful images. The only thing that has gone wrong is after my 1ST SHOOT!, somehow the multi selector wheel and ok button are gone!!! I don't when if could have come off, most likely when I was packing up. I am sending it into Nikon for repair but I wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else with any Nikon. I came from canon shooting with Rebels and I never had any issue with parts falling off. I take very good care of my equipment and I'm shocked and upset that this happened. Now I'm worried that when this gets fixed it will happen again. So has anyone had anything like this happen?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome to NR Mike720.

I have never, ever heard of anything falling off before. It could of course be a manufacturing fault, but my money is on the camera swinging and getting a knock which just took it clean off - perhaps without you even being aware it happened.

Nikon will fix it OK, but if there is evidence it is your fault, you may have to pay. I doubt it though, because in my experience, Nikon Service centres are fair and fast (unlike Canons).
    Always learning.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Hi Mike,
    never heard of something like that. Which pro-level camera model is it? Are there any other visible signs of an impact? Can you take a photo of it and post it here?
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Hi Mike.

No it is not normal for things to fall off of cameras. No matter what happend your camera has to go to a Nikon Service Center to be fixed. See what they have to say.

Glad to hear that you like the pictures that comes out of your new camera.

The sooner you send in your camera the sooner you can make good looking pictures.

Best of luck and please report back
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    Which camera and can you post a picture so we can see for ourselves.
    Never known such an occurrence, are you talking about the toggle on the back of the camera or the command wheels?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    No I have never heard of this ether
    some more details please Mike
    which Camera ? were did you buy it ?
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Wow, no joy. Sorry to read this.

Picture would be worth the proverbial thousand words.
    Which body?
    To paraphrase Shakespeare, does it appear the buttons fell off, or does it look like they were, from the body, untimely ripp'd?
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Hard to believe, and difficult to picture without a proof , photo!!
    Good luck getting it fixed and returned soon for your photo taking pleasure.
    If it was your fault, please be more careful in the future. If not, enjoy it to Thee fullest, but handle with care.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Heh, the multi-selector pad on my D4 has come off several times (the lower one for shooting vertically.) Fortunately, it snapped back on without an issue. I haven't had this problem in quite a while because I got annoyed and figured out how to put it back on "correctly." Been good ever since.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    edited November 2013
    Something tells me Mike720 might have been on the waccy baccy judging by the lack of response. Probably seeing little fairies now!
    Post edited by cowleystjames on
  • Mike720Mike720 Posts: 5Member
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDbTZkSUbDiLW41Rm9JRGlXOTQ/edit?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDbTZkSUbDiVlNVZ3VxWF9DZ0E/edit?usp=sharing
    Sorry I'm not sure how to post pics on here.
    Thanks to all the great responses. I have a D610 and I was careful through out the night to make sure I didn't bang it into something and I use a sling strap so it would have been really hard to hit the back of the camera while shooting. I think it might have happened when I was putting it away. It got caught a little when I was putting it into my bag but I wouldn't have thought enough to break a piece of the camera off. Hopefully the pics work and you guys can see what happened, but as you can see there is no signs of any kind of damage, except for the missing multi selector. I emptied the entire bag to see if the wheel or button was in there and no luck. I'm going to Nikon Wednesday, I'm about 15 mins away from their headquarters, I hope they have the part and can pop it back in and give me a little info as to what happened.

And cowley I'll let you know if the fairies have any messages for you.

Thanks
    Mike
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That is an odd one Mike, I'm sure Nikon will get it all fixed.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I hope so. I'll keep you guys updated.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    That is just wrong!! :-( No doubt about it... Either way, that should be a relatively quick and inexpensive repair provided the parts are redilly available?

Hope they are , and you hit the ground running, and shooting soon.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited November 2013
    That is just weird. Maybe Nikon changed the guts of the multi selector switch for the worse but the concequences are rare. Their D600 seemed to be Cheaper than the almost identical D7000 which tells me something not good.

It could of course be a manufacturing fault, but my money is on the camera swinging and getting a knock which just took it clean off - perhaps without you even being aware it happened.
    Given the abuse my gear goes through, that is unlikely. Just yesterday I was shooting moto and I jumped a berm. What I didnt see was that the other side was overwatered. While my D7000 was held high during the 6ft fall my d700 hit the ground at full force and to add to it, it was mud slush so the camera was dripping of mud. Picked the rocks out of the glass, sprayed the lens with water and kept on shooting. Nikons for as far as I know are durable...

Good luck on getting it fixed mike and welcome.

Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    If this wheel is designed to pop off instead of break off, I'm going to chat up the techs and see if I can get a backup just incase.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Interesting, in owning a bunch of Nikon SLR's and DSLR's over 40 years I have never heard of a part falling off. Yes, coming off when hit by an immoveable object. Let us know if they fix in under warranty or if you have to pay. Good luck.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    If what I said didn't happen, I would put my money on obajoba's experience being what happened to you - meaning that it was a manufacturing fault (the part was not fully clicked in) but when it came off it did so without you seeing it and picking it up.

I'm sure it will be fixed under warranty and fitted correctly this time. Be sure to ask then to check it will not come out again.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    That's crazy!! Even if Nikon repair pops another one on and sends it back to you at no charge I'd still take the stance that after paying so much for the camera, dials and buttons shouldn't simply pop of so easily. The only thing that's disappeared from mine is the rubber viewfinder gasket. It has rubbed off when the camera is pulled out of the camera bag against the side of the bag.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

S#*t happens Rx4Photo, and as S#*t goes, that s#*t ain't bad.
    Always learning.
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    Hi Mike,

Generally speaking Nikon camera's are high quality build.
    The higher grade "PRO" models are even small tanks.
    Just look at this example:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2011/03/26/nikon-d3s-camera-falls-from-a-motorcycle-continues-to-shoot.aspx/
    I myself have used my D800 in a small blizzard without any problem (to the camera; my mortal husk was less resilient to the weather ;) ). Nikon pro camera's have been used in the antarctic, the arctic, warzones, in space,...
    So, they are tough.
    The D600 and 610 are advance "prosumer" camera's and as such might be a little bit less resilient than the top of the line pro cameras but they still can take quite a lot.
    Parts should not just fall of.
    However, even the best equipment can fail. Perhaps it got a very unfortunate knock or perhaps it's a rare case of a manufacturing defect.
    Just get is repaired and don't stress about it.
    Once they fix it the camera will be fine for a very long time.
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    This looks an awful lot like what was happening to my D4. If you still had the part then you could easily reattach it. Nikon should fix this under warranty IMHO. Mine came off the first time while I was simply using it. So, yeah, they should fix it.
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
    thanks for the info obajoba I'm having the same issue at you. Lets just hope its easily as fixed.
  • husker67husker67 Posts: 2Member
    I have a Nikon D7100 which did sustain a drop, all function on the body seem to be working well, but
    the "OK" button is missing....this is not OK.....I contacted Nikon about repair and have the information necessary to send it to them...this is a used, personal purchase body. I have ordered an "OK" button from
    China on eBay, can this simply be snapped in place and start working? Just trying to bet this camera
    functionally fully and considering options....I'm sure sending it to Nikon is best, but if simply pressing in
    a new button will work, I'm fine with that...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    You might as well have them test the entire camera to be sure it's within specs. Is it in or out of warranty? Either way, I would send it back. You will get a nice 6 month warranty with it. And you will get a new skin (hand grip) on the body.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    nobody asked if it was a grey import ? and if its a 600 it needs a new shutter or it will have zero value on re sale.