The 1.2 Crop The fantasy and The facts

13»

Comments

• soapsoap Posts: 28Member
    edited January 2013
    " Offset microlenses. F1.4 and F1.2 lenses are really F1.4/F1.2 !! yay !"

What are these Chromium Pine? Never heard of them - am I missing something?
    Leica (possibly others) already do(es) this.

They were forced to because their older rangefinder lens designs were even more reliant on the off-axis photon collection ability of film than the SLR makers. The problem still exists for Nikon and Canon - it just never was as large of an issue and so didn't get addressed as early.

See the bit near the bottom. Pretty picture as well as text.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8

Post edited by soap on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    " Offset microlenses. F1.4 and F1.2 lenses are really F1.4/F1.2 !! yay !"

What are these Chromium Pine? Never heard of them - am I missing something?
    Leica (possibly others) already do(es) this.

They were forced to because their older rangefinder lens designs were even more reliant on the off-axis photon collection ability of film than the SLR makers. The problem still exists for Nikon and Canon - it just never was as large of an issue and so didn't get addressed as early.

See the bit near the bottom. Pretty picture as well as text.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8

Thanks for that ! That's much clearer than I can explain ! :-)

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2013
    Hmmm .. I wonder if Toshiba makes a 1.3 or 1.2 crop sensor...
    (re: surprise toshiba sensor found in D5200 camera)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

With the addition of the toshiba sensor in the D5200 Nikon proves that it is able to use sensors from
    multiple vendors.. I think that nikon now uses at least 4 or 5 sensor types. having 2 different Dx sensors at the same time was a surprise but we have seen this before in the D3000 and D5000. I think this increases the probability of a EX sensor in a new Nikon camera.

If Toshiba has a 16-18 MP EX sensor I am sure the performance will be higher than the DXO 84 that the D5200 has..

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Question:
    Why would Nikon deliberately leave a gap in this line of names designating sensor size? CX - DX - gap -FX What reason would there be other than to have a place for a possible EX sensor? Do you think Nikon used these letter names randomly? Just because they reserved a spot for it doesn't mean they will produce it but it surely suggests they deliberately left room for one.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    I think those names mean something

CX (compact)
    DX (digital, since there were no full frame digital cameras at the time)
    FX (Full Frame, 35mm)

The X likely has something to do with like crop factor or something. Maybe the acronyms mean something Japanese? Frankly, I don't see a gap or a need for another sensor format, in consumer, lower to mid level pro photography space. High end would be medium format or larger.

If we go by the logic that they "left space on purpose" then why is there no AX, BX etc, after-all there are 23 other letters in the alphabet? Do they all need to be a sensor crap factor, after all Nikon left space!!!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2013
    LOL i agree with PB on this .. I just made up the 'EX' name as it followed the C,D,?,F sensor size.. if it ever gets created, who know if it will be called EX or something else like HX like the canon APS-H 1.3 format. EX was just a convenient label I made up for the 1.2/1.3 crop sensor I am proposing/speculating :-). It's still intriguing that there IS a gap ;-) no ?

PS : LOL "sensor CRAP factor" !! :-)

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    :D At least it was a funny mistake.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2013
    In the "D300S successor" thread there were some interesting comments.

We have missed the window for the D400 which should have been out in 2011. therefore if we ever do get one it would have been the next generation D500 or a D400S.
    If we accept that they have indeed skipped a generation of the D300S successor line then it seems to me that it is even more likely that they produce something more revolutionary like a EX sensor for this line of camera.

It sure would be revolutionary to have a DX crop mode for both 3:2 and 4:5 aspect ratios.

ie lets consider a sensor as wide as a DX and as tall as a aps-h crop sensor. The total area of the chip would be some where between a APS-H sensor and a DX sensor. This would be a great sensor for the D500 no ? It would still be a DX camera and take all DX lenses with out Vignetting. but it adds the 4:5 aspect ratio. with the same or higher MP as the DX mode.

Although personally I would still prefer a full APS-H size 2:3 sensor :-)

just as an aside, as I calculated before .. to allow for a 4:5 crop mode to fit inside the DX image circle it needs to be about a 1.23 crop factor.. but i wouldn't complain if it was the 1.3(canon) or 1.33(leica) crop factor. :-)