D5300 Discussions

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited October 2013 in D5x00
The specs look good on the latest body. Of interest is the ISO 12,800 listed ...the images at this ISO will need to be seen.. The 5 FPS is OK, dependent on the buffer of course.
Post edited by Msmoto on
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I think it will be a great starter camera. And it comes in red! ;)
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    And gray apparently!

It looks pretty cool in grey, I must say.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yup, the gray model almost gives it the look of the 1980's cameras.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    The specs look like a 5200 with a '3' in the middle of the name.
    Very not impressed.
    D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
  • newfoundlander61newfoundlander61 Posts: 26Member
    Does it have a built in focus motor?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Sorry newfoundlander61, there is no motor in the body on the D5300. This is from Nikon's specs:

Autofocus is available with AF-S and AF-I lenses.
    Autofocus is not available with other type G and D lenses, AF lenses (IX NIKKOR and lenses for the F3AF are not supported), and AI-P lenses.
    Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but Exposure Meter does not Function; Electronic Rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    It's clear where Nikon is headed with the new D5300. Built in Wifi and GPS, plus the Expeed 4 processor are sure to be in newer models as they come along. I've been planning to get the D7100 for some time. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait just a bit and see if a D7200 is coming anytime soon.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    60p Hd recording looks like a good addition too. The built in Wifi and GPS was only a matter of time. Id love to try it just for the heck of it tho...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • newfoundlander61newfoundlander61 Posts: 26Member
    The reason I was asking was I have the older version of the 80-400VR and was looking to see if the camera would auto focus using this lense instead of me having to manually focus it.
  • TECNIPLOTTECNIPLOT Posts: 1Member
    Hi! I´m a neewbie in photography and I want to buy the new D5300 as an upgrade from my old Panasonic Z150.
    My question is about the 18-140mm kit, is the same lens that sells independently? because I found in Ebay the D5300 body for 796 and the lens from 429.- wich is about 200.- less than the kit!!! is that all right?
    Regards!
    It is the same lens.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @TECNIPLOT: As you are a newbie, I will say be aware that if you buy new off ebay etc you are probably buying a lens that has not come through your local country's distributor. That is a grey import and you effectively get no warranty or even worse, refused service depending on where in the world you live.

Both of those items are new lines and that means the prices are high so if saving the $'s is that important to you, you could wait 6 months to see them reduce slightly.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Has anyone seen images from a D5300 at the 12,800 ISO?

As to purchase of a new model, I would strongly recommend Amazon, Adorama, or B& H, as these are all reliable sources and will be supportive should problems develop.

Now, about the D5300..... Most likely this is a hint of what all the new bodies will have....more sophisticated communication built into the body. So, we can expect this in anything new from now on, IMO.
    Msmoto, mod
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The D5300 sounds pretty good to me. What though was Nikon Germany thinking when it issued the "concentrate on full frame" statement. Did the D7100 winning about the ONLY Nikon European Camera Award not get noticed by them. I predict the D5300 will sell well. It also hints at changes in Nikon DSLR improvements in BOTH DX and FX future cameras.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Daveyl said:
    I predict the D5300 will sell well. It also hints at changes in Nikon DSLR improvements in BOTH DX and FX future cameras.

I can't wait to see the test reports on the D5300 and see the improvements in the next generation of the D800, D4, and D7100 bodies.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • rhowenrhowen Posts: 1Member
    Bought the D5300 for a backup to my D800 and D7100s largely because of the advertised GPS capability. So far it doesn't work. I see other posts with people having the same problems. How hard can this be…works great on my iPhone.
    Read Pages 45, 46, 47 of the D5300 manual. If enabled, the GPS built-in will record this to an image if the satelllites are seen by the camera. This may not work well indoors.
    Msmoto, mod
    It also doesn't work well if you have the GPS set to disconnect when the meter times out.
  • sparky46ersparky46er Posts: 4Member
    I have not been able to get gps to work at all. If I turn the log on, it looks like it records there. Is anyone else having a hard time? I have made sure that my time is set correctly, and turned all options on and off to see if it would work to no avail. I have read elsewhere there is an update, but I do not see it on nikon site. Is anyone else having problems, or no where this supposed update is?
    I can understand the confusion since the Nikon firmware update page doesn't even list the D5300...
    Is there an update? I found a link on the product description page to update A-GPS. I know cell phones do this in the background behind the scenes, and you never know it's happening. Updating A - GPS once is annoying, if I have to keep updating it, that's u acceptable. It's a close deal breaker. If I didn't like everything else about it, it would be going back. But it's not a camera I would brag about with a useless GPS on board. And what is frustrating is that if you turn the logs on, at least for me, I see that it can get GPS coordinates because I see it getting logged. Sigh...
    edited November 2013
    @sparky46er

What you are saying is that when outside in good view of the sky, GPS enabled, the Exif data does not record the location, is this correct?

And, on the "info" panel are you seeing a satellite signal indicator which shows location data is being recorded?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @sparky, page 45 in the manual (the section called "Location Data") states that you need to go into the location data menu and select and enable the "Record location data" option. Have you done that? Is the satellite signal on the info screen flashing or static?
    Hi@ironheart and @msmoto. Yes, I did enable location data, enable and record location data. The GPS icon flashes with no bars. So it does not record long/lat, or long/lat/alt. I got the a-gps data and loaded it to my memory card and added that. It worked for a moment standing in the backyard with no trees or anything above, but I traveled 60 miles north for thanksgiving, and for the full 4 hours, it did not get a GPS signal. And this is next to a lake with nothing above but the stars. I have four other gps units, and all of them have no issues at home, even inside. It sounds like you are having more success than I am. Maybe I should contact nikon...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sounds like you've tried most things so a call to Nikon then probably a trip to the service centre is in order.
    Always learning.