Tripod for D4, recommendation

KeikoKeiko Posts: 8Member
edited February 2014 in D3/D4/D5
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a tripod for my D4.
Last october i bought a D4, and now it's time for a adequate tripod.
First, I was interested in the Sirui N-2004X (Universal, mono & tripod), but now I'm not sure.

So, can anyone recommend me a proper tripod that's good for a D4?

// Edit: Need it basically for travel, outdoor.

Thanks alot!
Cheers!
Post edited by Keiko on
Analog and Digital: DX, FX, MF
Tagged:

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I love my RRS. There is a thread on it. And if you think it is to much, at least you know what the quality benchmark is.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Please do a forum search before opening a new thread. We have discussed tripods ad nauseum here:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2054/good-travel-tripod
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1076/beginners-tripod

You also don't say what you want to use it for, which will help determine what is best.
  • KeikoKeiko Posts: 8Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry, I did of course my research but i think I was searching for the wrong criteria. I looked only here within the D4-Forum.
    Post edited by Keiko on
    edited February 2014
    Type "tripod" into the search box in the upper right hand corner. There are more than the two I listed :-)
    Usually the lens weighs more than the body, so don't worry so much about the D4
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    That was my concern, i can't post my question in other threads than D4. and within the D4 Forum there were no such questions or discussions running.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    Need it basically for travel, outdoor.
    The general rule for Tripods is the bigger and heavier the better

but big and heavy is not good for Travel

so you are going to have to compromise

carbon fiber will keep the weight down but the cost up

I t is a very personal thing, your choice will also be dependent on the head and mounting plate

I think you must try before you buy

I would start off by looking at the RRS, Manfrotto and Giottos ranges

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Keiko, you can add a comment to any existing thread.
    edited February 2014

I would start off by looking at the RRS, Manfrotto and Giottos ranges
    ok, what about Vanguard?
    Keiko, you can add a comment to any existing thread.
    Ok, i will remember that, the next time.

Post edited by Keiko on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    You've spend the money on a really good camera, now don't skimp on the tripod. I did, and take it from me (and many others), you'll end up buying the right one in the end - even if it is 1 thousand bucks plus the ballhead, and the monopod, and the release system, and the..., and the ...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    ok, what about Vanguard

Sorry I have no experience of vanguards

I can only again strongly recommend you try before you buy

Check how quickly and easily it can it be extended and adjusted

do the leg locks look like they might come lose

does it seem well engineered

How low can you get the camera ?

How safe and firm does the mounting plate seem

Put you D4 with your longest lens on it, frame the subject , lock the head, is the object still correctly framed ? and if you touch the camera does it still stay correctly framed
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Keiko: Welcome to NRF. You will find that there is plenty of information on our forums were the conversation addresses your question. Ironheart has provided you with some links...I would like to add to it.

Experience With RRS Tripods

Before I close this topic you have started, I would like to ask you a few questions: besides your body, what lenses do you have and of those which do you travel with most? How long and far does your travel take you and the duration and venue of your shooting? Hence, local shooting or travel by plane, car, or train...4-8 hour section. What is the venue i.e. street, night photography? Does the destination require you to go on trails or mountain paths? How do you intend to carry your gear...backpack or luggage?

We are here to help, but the more we know about you and your style of photography the better we can assist in having you get the right gear by covering all the bases so you don't end up spending your hard earned money on useless gear. Do NOT rush to buy, us our knowledge base to help you get the right gear. Lets leave no stones unturned....if you get my meaning.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited February 2014
    You've spend the money on a really good camera, now don't skimp on the tripod. ...
    :D true that, no I wasn't doing that. the Sirui I previously mentioned, was cheap, but it could/can load very much (up to 12kg and more)... but now i think i will ether get a Vanguard, or a Manfrotto.

/Edit: I searched the net for any blogs about a proper tripod for D4, just for lead.

I can only again strongly recommend you try before you buy
    ok , np I will go to my local camera shop. maybe i can try that there.
    Keiko: Welcome to NRF. You will find that there is plenty of information on our forums were the conversation addresses your question. Ironheart has provided you with some links...I would like to add to it.
    Hello, Golf007 :), thanks!
    I checked the link(s), a RRS is impossible here to buy (Austria), couldn't find any Shop selling that.
    Either Manfrotto or Gitzo, and or Vanguard, and of course the other manufacturer (Cullmann, Rollei e.g., a.s.o)
    Post edited by Keiko on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited February 2014
    It is impossible to buy any where except San Luis Obispo, California. They only do online order.

That said, it is the best of the best and if you can afford it, you should consider it. Many of us including myself have it. I started out looking at Gitzo and ended up with RRS despite being able to try Gitzo in a store and not RRS. Golf is a real expert on RRS.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member

Hello, Golf007 :), thanks!
    I checked the link(s), a RRS is impossible here to buy (Austria), couldn't find any Shop selling that.
    Either Manfrotto or Gitzo, and or Vanguard, and of course the other manufacturer (Cullmann, Rollei e.g., a.s.o)
    @Keiko
    You can order RRS here:
    http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php

I ordered my things so far directly from RRS in the US. Worked perfect.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    +1 for RRS as well...

I ordered over the web, and had it delivered here in Greenland within 10-12 days. I have now made several orders, and never have I been disappointed. One time I think it had taken two weeks and I called them, and they refunded the shipping charges due to an error FedEX had made - I had my stuff delivered 1 week later.

They have excellent customer service as well, and you can call them for advice, and they won't try to sell you more, on the contrary, I actually had them convince me to go with a "cheaper" ballhead:)

@Keiko
    You can order RRS here:
    http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php

I ordered my things so far directly from RRS in the US. Worked perfect.

Jürgen
    ah, ja, danke für den Tipp!

:) thanks folks! I think now its up to me, which one it's going to be.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Should you feel like answering some of my other question, send me a PM and we will go from there. But for the time being....Top Closed.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.