Nikon 1 V3

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    A lot of people like to compare the Nikon 1 system to just about everything out there. The only comparison missing is Nikon 1 vs VW bug :-)

Another way of understanding the Nikon 1 system is asking: How will it go with my D800?

If I make a long list of features for the two I discover that most of the time one is strong where the other is weak - D800 slow frame rate - Nikon 1 high frame rate. D800 big and heavy - Nikon 1 small and light. And so on.

The best question for me is: What can the Nikon 1 do for me? If the answer is "nothing" or "very little" then the Nikon 1 is not for me. On the other hand if I find that the Nikon 1 has some very useful features I want then maybe Nikon 1 is for me.

Some times comparing makes no sense: D4 vs D800 - you get less than half the mega pixels for more than twice the price duhhh - you must be insane to buy a D4 then?

I hope that some day Nikon will make a DX and a FX version of the Nikon 1 system. And I hope they will lower the price so more people will buy - Nikon 1 is different. But different is not = bad. Different is different.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    ....Another way of understanding the Nikon 1 system is asking: How will it go with my D800?....
    Very true. I do a LOT with the V1, and a lot with the D800, and I even shoot with my iPhone when I don't have one of the other two handy--it does what the other two can't in some situations. They all do different jobs. The V3 isn't what I expected, so I'll keep using my V1s.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2014

Another way of understanding the Nikon 1 system is asking: How will it go with my D800?
    Tougher question, and one Nikon needs to answer. If a system cannot stand on it's own, what good is it?

If a system needs adapters, or a companion system to be useful, it's not.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member

@adamz:
    "sure, I know how to operate Nikon and that's of course my preferred way though if you really think this is intuitive: ######
    than it's your opinion."

Sorry, I don't understand the point of the flashing screen-capture in your post. In a word, it wasn't intuitive to me. LOL.

Actually I just checked in to see whether anyone had mentioned the new DXO sensor tests comparing the V3 to other cameras. There's also a test against the RX10, with results similar to that of the RX100 because those two cameras share the same Sony sensor.

FYI, I'm not against the Nikon 1 system concept, by any means. I just ordered a black AW1 model from B+H today, now that they are in stock.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @PB_PM: Good question - How does the Nikon 1 system stand on it´s own?

I have 3 cameras. I use them for different things:

D800 - Nikon 1 can not replace my D800.

Olympus EP-1 - I might consider replacing the EP-1 with a Nikon 1. Image quality on the EP-1 is plenty good for vacation snaps. Two thing I don´t like about the EP-1: Slow focus and no VF. Other than that it is a good little camera. If the Nikon 1 has "plenty-good-for-vacation-image-quality" then why not? Price is on par with M43 cameras with good AF and good EVF.

Canon G9: Old tech now. But on a sunny day it can still give you decent snaps. I don´t see any problem in replacing my old G9 with a Nikon 1 - but for one: Price - Nikon 1 is too expensive for a snap-shooter. Too bad.

Nikon 1 is a compact . what else is out there? Coolpics A

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    As we were talking about the Sony RX10 earlier, I think it's relevant to post DPReview's post.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10/11

As long as you're not willing to change lenses and are okay with spending $1300, I think the RX10 might be a more balanced package than the Nikon 1 system.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • dougjgreendougjgreen Posts: 21Member
    As a former Nikon APS-C DSLR user who mainly uses Micro 4/3 nowadays, but who has bought into Nikon 1 with both a V1 and V2 (from Canada) at fire-sale prices just to get fast continuous AF for sports and wildlife, here's my take on the V3.

The V3 price, along with the DxOMark scores convinced me to buy a Canadian V2 (cost me $430 USD for the body plus 10-30mm lens) to add to the V1 I already had, with the 10mm and 30-110mm lenses.

I will certainly by buying a 70-300 VR lens, I'm just trying to decide whether the native Nikon 1 model, or the FT1 adapter and AF-S G lens will be the one I get. This is basically all about reach and fast AF for sports and wildlife - and something that I can't match in my Micro 4/3 outfit.

What they SHOULD have done with the V3 is this:

- Keep the MP at 14, and give us another 1 or more EV of dynamic range instead of more unneeded pixels.
    - Dont cram another bundled 10-30mm kit lens down our throats
    - Integrate the VF
    - Support focus confirmation with the FT1 adapter and F/AI/AIS glass
    - Add bracketing and smart in-camera HDR support
    - Support user customization of control points and multiple direct access functions instead of requiring menu diving.

SD vs MicroSD is not a big deal - I can see the plusses in either.

As it is, it seems like it's no better than a V2, at a price premium. If Nikon had done what I suggest here, I could see a V3 with an integrated EVF being a $900-1000 camera body. As it is, it's more like a $500 body with a $200 add-on EVF.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Bought the V1 sold it, Bought the V2 sold it, now I am waiting for my V3 to arrive, They just get better,
    Sure it could be argued there are better cameras for the money, but i support Nikon and with my FT1 I have all the lenses in the world. I can see my D4 collecting dust once I start V3ing.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • tennjedtennjed Posts: 4Member
    Well, thankfully, it appears interval shooting is back. I have had some fun with that feature on my V1 and had a hard time understanding why it was not included with the V2.

The V1 has, for me, been like an old rubics (sp?) cube. I keep messing with the thing and have found it more entertaining as time passes. Overall, and I guess this will never change, I cannot help but wonder "WHY!? Nikon" whenever I consider the obvious/idiotic shortcomings of the thing. And yet, some things about the camera put it in a league by itself.

Most recently, I discovered that with my 10-30 VR lens I can set ISO at Auto 100-400 and can get very good images, hand held, at shutter speeds as low as 1/2 second. Subject must be absolutely still; but I can be standing in the dark and come away with acceptable images. I tried this with my EP5 and could not match the V1's performance.

It looks like the V3 finally addresses most of the obvious shortcomings of the V1. But still, the price of over $1K is going to make it a somewhat painful purchase. Even if the actual purchase price is not going to cripple a person financially, it is enough to make you feel like Nikon is taking advantage of you-just because they can.

Who do they think they are at Nikon?...... Apple?

I can see right now that the articulated screen is going to be too big a temptation for me. Now I just have to come to grips with the MicroSD nonsense.

The V1 has, for me, been like an old rubics (sp?) cube. I keep messing with the thing and have found it more entertaining as time passes. Overall, and I guess this will never change, I cannot help but wonder "WHY!? Nikon" whenever I consider the obvious/idiotic shortcomings of the thing. And yet, some things about the camera put it in a league by itself.
    This very well encapsulates my early verdict on the V1 that I just picked up a few weeks ago. I bought this thinking it might be an ideal compliment to my Micro 4/3 gear, as the specific thing it does well: Tracking AF with long telephotos, is the one thing my Micro 4/3 gear does not do well. But some of the aforementioned "idiotic shortcomings" are just infuriating. In particular, the inability to really quickly pick and downsize a specific focus point, which would be the specific thing the otherwise ultra-fast AF capability makes you want to do with it.
    Is the V3 going to win the 1st prize for being the Nikon1 best price dropper. Already dealers are offing free FT1 adapters to sell them before they arrive in store, Who does the marketing for Nikon certainly got this price wrong. If you are thinking of buying the V3 I should wait awhile to see where the market price settles on this new product.
  • nicvanwyknicvanwyk Posts: 6Member
    First review is out...
    http://camera.itmedia.co.jp/dc/articles/1404/18/news040.html
    You will have to translate from japanese...
    Enjoy reading...
    Is the V3 going to win the 1st prize for being the Nikon1 best price dropper. Already dealers are offing free FT1 adapters to sell them before they arrive in store, Who does the marketing for Nikon certainly got this price wrong. If you are thinking of buying the V3 I should wait awhile to see where the market price settles on this new product.
    The V3 intro inspired me to get a V2 at the fire sale prices it sells for in Canada. If I V2 kit can be had for the low $400s (which is what it sells for now in Canada) there is no way to rationalize paying nearly 3 times as much for the V3.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Just put down $100 depost on a Nikon 1 V3 kit. Looking forward to power zoom and 18MP of CX love, not to mention EXPEED 4A. My shop says the free FT-1 deal ends at the end of the month, so I finally got off the dime. I get the next one in the shop, Apple picked up theirs yesterday, so i know Aperture will work soon ;-)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • spsfotospsfoto Posts: 11Member
    For Kiwi's the V3 is currently on sale at photowarehouse for NZD $1248 (v3, 10-30 lens, grip & EVF). Thats actually a good price in NZD considering the markup we normally face here for non gray market.

http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/nikon-1-v3-10-30mm-black-kit?ref=pricespy

the 70-300 is NZD $1295 : /
    http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/nikon-1-nikkor-vr-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6-lens?ref=pricespy

I'd still like one, but since I'll have the D810+150-600mm shortly I'm going to hold off for now.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    What is the largest print you have made with the V3 that you would still call "tack sharp."?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    edited November 2014
    T
    Post edited by paulr on
  • Check out my comprehensive video showing the features and video shooting capabilities of the Nikon 1 V3:
    edited November 2014
    First impressions are major changes in quality of images. Having owned the V1 then the V2 ,Nikon have vastly improved the quality of how this camera performs. Once you get used to the small size of this camera My background is the Nikon D series, It is quite amazing the performance that it can do. Ok it has lots of fancy things too, but for the serious photographer this camera has many plus's . the noise factor is greatly improved, and auto focus is very fast. I have to say , that maybe Nikon got it right third time round. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3526/nikon-v3#Item_2
    Post edited by paulr on
    +1 paulr I didn't own any Nikon1 gear until I bought the V3 with the FT-1 in the bundle. I have been consistently amazed/happy with this camera's performance. It is also so small I can pack it in my carry-on luggage and take it anywhere in the world. The 70-300 CX lens is the best lens I've used on this system, and I have almost all of them. (32mm is next...) Great compact system.
    Yes Ironheart I feel like an old campaigner for Nikon ! Cameras's Thinking of getting the 6.7-13 lens I have the 10-100 PD lens which I tend to use most of the time.Having progressed through the system the V3 is seriously better. I shake my head when i hear all the negative remarks about this camera from none owners.
    I lug a D4 and heavy lenses when I am working, the V3 is a pleasure to use and offers some things even the top end range cannot do.
    edited November 2014
    Testing the Nikon V3 with the new Fotodiox 411 Ring Light

Nikon V3 with the New Fotodiox 411 Ring Light

Flic-4
    Taken using the above equipment in Caves in the Yorkshire dales
    Post edited by paulr on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2015
    So we have some thing that we would like to clear up.. What is with the N1 V3 60 FPS ... what are the gotcha? there must be something ?? what does the "30/60" in the specs mean ?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

The only gotcha is that it will do 6, 10, or 20 fps with full AF. When you switch to 30 or 60 the focus is locked after the first frame. Also the minimum shutter speed is set to 1/60th for any continuous shooting speed other than 6.