D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

1373839404143»

Comments

• johncnejohncne Posts: 1Member
    I purchased my D600 in Dec 2012. In February 2013 took it to Nikon for Servicing due to the extensive oil spots. They put in a new shutter mechanism. Since then I have never really got clean photos. Took it back again, this time they just cleaned the sensor. Sill no improvement. Once again back to Nikon in mid March. Again they changed the Shutter mechanism. Got it home and did some test shots and still noticed the same spots . Now this is the fourth time it is at Nikon. My 5 year old D300 has never had such issues and still good.
    I have spent more time taking test shots than actually using the camera for its intended use. Two shutter mechanism changes and no improvement. Right now this D600 is of no value to me. I have been a Nikon user for the last 35 years and this is what I get for Loyalty.
    Perplexed!!!!!
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Wow, Johncne, that is terrible. You had best get a new camera under Nikon's latest service advisory. I'd push hard for one. Good luck!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 roombarobot.

Johncne, be nice and push easily. You are due a new replacement with all these issues.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • andy4nothinandy4nothin Posts: 1Member
    Nikon acknowledged receipt of my out of warranty D600 on March 12th and due to a shortage of parts, didn't get it back to me until April 1st. I hoped I might be getting the latest fix for the shutter box, but no, after all it was April Fools! Within 25 shots there were spots on the sensor of a larger size and greater density than before the camera's visit to Nikon. Ran another 600 frames and spots had increased marginally. By midday I was getting the sensor cleaned at a local photo centre. Spots appeared immediately on the first shot after cleaning but not so bad that it's unusable - yet. I'll just see how it goes. Unfortunately I shoot spherical panoramas and usually bracket/fuse, so I typically have an awful lot of sky to spot out.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Send it back again. Nikon has also said they will outright replace cameras that continue to have issues.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • TerryTerry Posts: 3Member
    edited August 2014
    Sent my D600 in for spots on the sensor. That 2 weeks and day to get back. Repairs were B2, replace shutter mechanism and related parts, clean sensor, ckd auto focus operation and general ckd and clean, all at no cost.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • BerryhillBerryhill Posts: 10Member
    Have you done a full on test, PP and exam on the sensor to see if they have actually managed to get it clean? Did you do that before you sent it in? What was it like before you sent it in? Particles? Oil spots?
    I had 10 plus spot on left side before . Last night I gave it a workout no spots. Not sure if oil spots or dust.
    IT was dust spots only
  • peter000peterpeter000peter Posts: 4Member
    I had a d600 when it was first released. I could get 50 spots after 2 days shooting without changing the lens. They were mostly in the top left on a horizontal shot and noticeable at around f8 and higher. Blue skys f16 were terrible. I was told that the problem would go away after a few thousand shots. One month and 12000 shots later (I am a professional photographer) the problem was the same.
    That was 18 months ago from memory. If you're still having trouble with oil spots on a D600 in 2014, just get rid of it. It's probably my old camera. I gave it back to the dealer and never want to see it again. The oil problem ruined what was a basically a great camera.
    All DSLR's get dust spots though, which just needs regular cleaning. They are different.
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    edited August 2014
    So I sent the camera for servicing right next day after the TSA (February 26). Got it back three weeks later with the Rank B2 repair on the repair bill. I did check for spots, actually first few shots were at the blue sky f/22. One spot on all of them, which I thought it had been there before. Mid May on an outing I took a few shots with the sky in the back ground and f/22 (unintentionally). In the process of post processing my attention is dragged to a grey spot, and after that another one, and another one. Off-course I rushed outside and started to take test pictures. Well, dozens of spots easily visible without any post processing. So I contacted Nikon Canada, sent the camera, got it back one week later, same rank B2 repair .... About 400 shots later this

And I had air-blown the sensor four or five times, I had also used the clean sensor camera feature.
    Thoughts????
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I just saw the post on the main forum about the lawsuit settlement and Nikon's move to replace D600's with D10's. Based upon what I read I don't think people that send them in will be willing to talk about their experience and results send they have to sign a non disclosure statement. Too bad.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yebbut what is there to say? It's all been said here before so it just remains to wish them luck and thank the guys who lead the class action for the benefit of others too.
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Upon the recommendation of a respected member, and the steps Nikon has taken to address this matter, this topic has come to its "end of life."

Nikon's action in addressing this matter.

On behalf of the moderators, we thank all of you for your input and contribution to NRF.

Topic Closed.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.