D9300 All Discussions

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2014
    If Nikon came out with camera and range of lenses, that was significantly cheaper and lighter than my D800 which produced the same the high quality results with the same functions, dynamic range, high ISO capacity and fps I would be a potential customer

I would not care if it was CX, DX, FX or medium format
    things that are import to me
    in order of importance

1 Image quality
    2 weigh
    3 size
    4 price

But I am not prepared to sacrifice weight size and price at the expense of IQ

@ snakebunk you ask for a mini-D4s for about $2.500. If one came out and met all of your requirements, but had a FX sensor rather than Dx; would you buy it ?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm wondering what the D9300 would really offer that would make it worth 6-700+ more than the D7100. Obviously, speed, buffer and a D300 type body....
    This is one of the most miss understood items about the D300 series (and between other bodies) that is very difficult to explain due to Nikon has never released a full comparison list of all of the added features and options between each body. I have never located anyone who has actually made such a list either. Many of the differences are the basics like build quality advantages like weather sealing, impact resistance and the like, but also the additional options like additional bracketing, WB tuning, etc. The list is very extensive and probably goes into the 100s of items. Basically a true list would have to list every item feature, and each option available in each of those, and even options in those. Then do that for each of Nikon's bodies, Line up the change in terms used to see if they are just renamed or actually improved upon, and find out about various firmware changes and improvements.

The task would be quite daunting to create and really only Nikon could probably do it due to the changing terms and the sheer amount of details. In no way are all the additional features and options a huge deal to everyone, but if one or more of those features makes a person's life a whole lot better, the difference in price becomes worth it.

It would be very nice to have such a complete comparison list for all the bodies.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited June 2014

@ snakebunk you ask for a mini-D4s for about $2.500. If one came out and met all of your requirements, but had a FX sensor rather than Dx; would you buy it ?
    It sounds like you are asking if I would by the D4s if it was half the price. I don't know, think I prefer the D800. (also remember that an FX camera with, for example, 16 mp has much lower pixel density than a DX camera with 16 mp)

The mini-D4s approach is one way to make the D9300 stand out as a great camera. For me (being a bird photographer) the sensor size, fps and pixel density are three important aspects of a camera. This is how I think the pro cameras could complement each other:

D4s: large sensor, high fps
    D800: large sensor, high pixel density
    D9300: high fps, high pixel density

This means that the D9300 should have something like 10-12 fps and 16-24 mp.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited June 2014
    It sounds like you are asking if I would by the D4s if it was half the price. .

Not quite
    The question is
    If Nikon introduced a Fx Pro bodied camera, that would go at say 8 -10fps with Expeed 4 that had the same pixel density as the D7100 in dx mode, at around $2,500. Would there be any point in them making a similar camera that was Dx only
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    It sounds like you are asking if I would by the D4s if it was half the price. .

Not quite
    The question is
    If Nikon introduced a Fx Pro bodied camera, that would go at say 8 -10fps with Expeed 4 that had the same pixel density as the D7100 in dx mode, at around $2,500. Would there be any point in them making a similar camera that was Dx only
    Good point! Eventually there will be less point in a DX camera other than for size and cost considerations.

By the way, what you are talking about is an FX camera with 10 FPS and 54 MP at $2,500. I think it would sell pretty darn good if Nikon could make it already :)
    edited June 2014
    By the way, what you are talking about is an FX camera with 10 FPS and 54 MP at $2,500. I think it would sell pretty darn good if Nikon could make it already :)
    Nikon would only have to make one DSLR
    Dealers would only have to stock one DSLR
    Simply the best Camera in the world at an unbeatable price
    A true Dx, Canon and Sony Slayer
    (Well that not true. there would still be people complaining it had too many mega whatnots )

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Maybe Nikon will put a 50mp sensor in the D810 and come close to giving one the option of high FX mp and good DX mp in one body. But they will need Expeed 5 and lots of buffer ram.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited June 2014

But I am not prepared to sacrifice weight size and price at the expense of IQ

+1 sevencrossing regarding IQ. Don't want to sacrifice in this area for size.
    (fixed typo...with apologies to @Sevencrossing)
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

+1 severn crossing regarding IQ.
    Now don't start spelling things correctly Photobug or I will not know what forum I'm on.... :))
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

+1 severn crossing regarding IQ.
    Now don't start spelling things correctly Photobug or I will not know what forum I'm on.... :))
    That was a bad typo, hate it when it's that bad and a persons screen name. @sevencrossing
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    My point was that sevencrossing is a typo, Severn crossing is correct!
    Always learning.
    I'm wondering what the D9300 would really offer that would make it worth 6-700+ more than the D7100. Obviously, speed, buffer and a D300 type body....
    Many of the differences are the basics like build quality advantages like weather sealing, impact resistance and the like, but also the additional options like additional bracketing, WB tuning, etc.
    Funny you should mention bracketing - I used to ache for more than the 3 shot bracketing of my D7000, but now with 5 shot bracketing of the D7100, I find that my new favourite way of doing processing an 'HDR' is with layers in Photoshop and so 3 careful exposures at 2 stops are all I use. Doh!

Mind you, I don't like that the 5 shots of the D7100 are limited to one stop when I would like up to at least 2 and even 3 stops in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments.
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Bracketing is one of those "software" options I just don't understand why all companies limit this. It just makes no sense at all. I have fought it for so long I just put the camera in manual mode and move the shutter speed. If I did a bunch of HDR that would get annoying but generally I'm just trying to get the sky and land in the exposures, which usually is just two photos 3-4 stops apart. ;)

It is quite amazing what options are actually in my D800 - sadly I only use maybe 25 that I am very comfortable with. I don't think I have ever used the Playback edit tool for anything but to see what a crop of an image would look like for composition. I have used video twice for anything other than really dumb stuff.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    edited June 2014
    but generally I'm just trying to get the sky and land in the exposures, which usually is just two photos 3-4 stops apart. ;)

+1

for shooting into the sun
    3 to 4 stops under
    "correct"
    3 to 4 stops over

given the dynamic range of a D800, I cant see the point of plus and minus 1 stop

edited June 2014
    It is quite amazing what options are actually in my D800 .
    Nikon have to make cameras appealing to as wide a range of photographs as possible
    there are thousands of branches of photography, some very specialized
    as NRF has proved many times, there is more than one way to skin cat. The D800 will allow you to do most of them
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Wakey! Wakey!
    Is this thread still alive? Photokina in some six weeks should put an end to it, right? Either the D9300 happens or we should just forget about it. We've seen pretty solid rumors about Canon. And Sony is certainly (still) shooting new (and pretty interesting) tech in all directions. But where are the Nikon rumors ...
    The good thing was the D810. The D9300 has to be a DX version of the 810, doesn't it? I think it would be almost impossible to squeeze in something "higher level than D7100" and still "lower level than D810".
    Nikon seems to have made a great new semi-electronic shutter for the 810. Less sound. Less shake. It would make no sense not to use the same new tech for the 9300.
    Apart from the "basic" features already discussed several times, which other features from D810 (or D800 for that matter) should we hope for, and be looking forward to?
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Expeed 4, big buffer.
    We've seen pretty solid rumors about Canon. And Sony is certainly (still) shooting new (and pretty interesting) tech in all directions. But where are the Nikon rumors ...
    ?
    Sorry, no rumors, just cameras
    D810
    D4s

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    We've seen pretty solid rumors about Canon. And Sony is certainly (still) shooting new (and pretty interesting) tech in all directions. But where are the Nikon rumors ...? The good thing was the D810. ...
    Sorry, no rumors, just cameras
    D810
    D4s
    I'm not sure if you're sarcastic or just repeating my point (and adding the D4S) :-)
    I believe that if the D9300 arrives, it'll inherit almost everything from the D810 (just faster), but not exactly be the "mini D4" that people talked about earlier.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I am interested to see the new foveon like sensor Canon is rumored to be outputting at photokina.
    If Nikon counters with something more magical that would be awesome.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Unless Canon can overcome the high ISO problems of Sigma's Foveon sensors, using high ISO sensitivities will be a problem.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I understand the question about truly needing a D9300 when the D7100 is available and overall a great bargain for what your getting. If the D9300 has the body and controls like a D8X0 series, gets a stop better ISO than a D7100 and bumps up the buffer I would look at it seriously. If the D4s auto focus and Expeed 4 are included that would take the cake. I would like a CF card slot as well but that's probably asking too much.

I had a D200 and D700, 90% of the controls are the same. This made it great. When I got a D7000 I just never liked to use it. I would pull out my D700 90% of the time even if I would wanted the crop factor reach.

If you have a D7100 and put a 300mm F4 on it you would basically have 24MP at 450mm at F4, converted to 35mm film. The D8X0 is down to roughly 16 MP for that same 450mm F4, converted to 35mm film. If you put the D7100 in 1.3 crop mode you have a 600mm F4 shooting at 15 MP, converted to 35mm film. I will say just because you can have all that reach, you probably lost some of your low light ability, its all a trade off. I will say part of that trade off is that D7100 with a $1400 lens has a higher pixel density than if I put a 600mm F4 on my D700, needless to say roughly an $8000 difference and the ability to crop more on top of that.

Would I need a D9300 to get a majority of the shots I would take over a D7100, no. Would I feel more comfortable using the camera and be able to get a few shots I might have lost due to a slow buffer and knowing the controls better, yes. If I was a pro I would probably want to learn the D7100 layout and might like it better but since the D700 spoiled me for what I use most, the D7X00 series is not my favorite. Between work, family, and normal life situations I would prefer to spend my time shooting with my camera instead of learning how to shoot with the camera. I plan to acquire a D810 which I believe is close to my D700, the learning curve should be fairly short.
    edited July 2014
    I plan to acquire a D810 which I believe is close to my D700, the learning curve should be fairly short.
    There are some subtle differences, which will take a few weeks to get used, to but the dynamic rage and IQ of the D810 will blow you away

will we get a D9300 / D400 ? may be but I think the cost would be nearer a D810 than the D7100

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, let's keep the thread on life support…. until Photokina at least…. I-)
    Msmoto, mod
  • catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    Speaking of Photokina, many companies have already had new products revealed, but there is absolutely nothing about Nikon, except yesterday I read a rumor at PetaPixel about Nikon delving into the medium format world with Sony's(I think) 50MP sensor. Absolutely no leaking about a D400, D7300, or D9300, I don't remember Nikon keeping announcements this quiet -- I hope it's not an omen. It would be very strange if they don't try to steal Canon's thunder over the 7D Mk II. Have they ever not announced a major camera/upgrade at Photokina?
    “Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
    ― Ansel Adams