Post all forum problems here

Comments

• SanookSanook Posts: 66Member
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    You can change your name - just go to your profile link that is located in the right panel (lower portion).
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Not really a problem, more of a complaint- the text in posts is more gray than black.  I was wondering if you could change the color of that, it's a bit difficult to read on a white background. 
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • FozzyffpFozzyffp Posts: 23Member
    Sorry Peter but I think Fozzy means he preferred the black background as he is using past tense and I agree with him - white is sooo hard on the eyes when reading text too.  At least could we knock off the brightness to a grey?

I am not being logged out when I navigate the site now - great!
    Yes, sorry, I did mean that i feel its easier to read off a darker background, i feel it also makes any pictures posted pop more.

-Matt
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I don't understand why photo size is resized to 600px max. After all it is a photo related site and one should be able to look at the pics in the discussion (without magnification). If the participants link the XHTML code it is not going to fill up your FTP server. I would be cautious with the option to save pics on the NR server, storage space will explode in no time.
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
    Sanook, I changed your name.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It's great I am not getting logged out all the time, and that I go straight to the end of the thread now Peter.

Is there a way to create stickies like before?  The old forum had evolved a pretty logical layout to it, maybe it is a good idea to carry it over to this new one?

Cheers man.
    Always learning.
    edited July 2014
    Post edited by Sanook on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    How to Change Your Avatar Photo....
    Click on your name
    Click on "Change my picture"
    Choose file from your computer which is 2 MB maximum and upload
    Msmoto, mod
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    Somehow my account was lost during the transition so I had to setup an account again.
    That is normal macsavagg4.

I am struggling with editing my posts - I tried to delete a quote and replace it with the correct one but I ended up with a right mess and gave up.  Trouble is I couldn't delete my thread either.  Any chance of adding a button for that Peter?
    Always learning.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member

I am struggling with editing my posts - I tried to delete a quote and replace it with the correct one but I ended up with a right mess and gave up.  Trouble is I couldn't delete my thread either.  Any chance of adding a button for that Peter?

It might be that you are working with multiple user accounts. My posts all have an edit option in the top line.
  • Witty_NicknameWitty_Nickname Posts: 193Member
    Yeah, that option to save pic on the server should be turfed.

I know the new forum is now up and running, but I'm a member of a few forums and the ones Powered by vBulletin® are fantastic.  Maybe something to look into during the next upgrade.
    It's great I am not getting logged out all the time, and that I go straight to the end of the thread now Peter.

Is there a way to create stickies like before?  The old forum had evolved a pretty logical layout to it, maybe it is a good idea to carry it over to this new one?

Cheers man.

Yes, the stickies here are called "announcements".
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Somehow my account was lost during the transition so I had to setup an account again.

I could not transfer any of the accounts because the import activated also all the spam from the old forum. I have to first clean up the database and attempt to import it again - not an easy task.
    admin | nikonrumors.com

Do you see the edit option on each of your comments?
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I don't understand why photo size is resized to 600px max. After all it is a photo related site and one should be able to look at the pics in the discussion (without magnification). If the participants link the XHTML code it is not going to fill up your FTP server. I would be cautious with the option to save pics on the NR server, storage space will explode in no time.
    But how else will we ever monetize NR forum in the future? This way, Peter can send out an Instagram-like opt-out "All your photos are belong to us" message and sell everything everyone has uploaded. Mwu ha ha ha ha.
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    Ok, I will turn off the photo upload feature for now.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Yeah, that option to save pic on the server should be turfed.

I know the new forum is now up and running, but I'm a member of a few forums and the ones Powered by vBulletin® are fantastic.  Maybe something to look into during the next upgrade.

vBulletin is considered to be one of the best and most popular forum platform out there, but I do not like the design of those type of forums. I want to have something simple and easy to use. I find the vBulletin forums to be "overcrowded" with buttons, icons, functions, images, badges, stats etc.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Is it just me, or is the new forum format really hard to read?  

It seems like the font, font sizes and color/highlighting needs to be tweaked.  It just hurts my eyes trying to read it.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    edited December 2012
    Is it just me, or is the new forum format really hard to read?  

It seems like the font, font sizes and color/highlighting needs to be tweaked.  It just hurts my eyes trying to read it.
    Agreed.  Although I know the forum is new, I would highly recommend to make it in a format similar to the old forum.  As of right now, everything is way too crammed together, username, time, post count, message, and signature.  Create a separate column for the username, post count, and timestamp as previous, this will clean up the header of each message significantly.  Change main message text to black and make one size larger to improve visibility.  Grey on white is harder to read than white on black.  Create a larger gap between messages so we know where which one starts and which one ends.  Add a border around quoted text.  As for the main forum page, it is very, very cramped and hard to read; space everything out a little more.  If there's a way to put the last poster, time stamp, forum category, and answered logo in a separate column, that would help tremendously.  Otherwise I'd seriously consider just getting rid of the last poster, time stamp, and forum category for the time being in order to make the text much cleaner and easier to read.
    Post edited by safyre on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you find the text too small, enlarge the default text size in your browser, it really isn't that hard... :-)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    If you find the text too small, enlarge the default text size in your browser, it really isn't that hard... :-)
    But then everything else is HUGE?

@Peter:  When I said I was struggling with the editing, it wasn't that I couldn't see the button, it was that it doesn't do what you think it will.  I accidentally quoted the wrong member - he was also quoting the member I wanted to quote - so his name came up as being quoted.  I tried to edit the post, correcting the misquote by pasting the correct quote over the misquote and the forum software got very confused!

Also:  When I open a multiple page thread it only takes me to the bottom of the first page, I then have to click page by page to get to the most recent post.  I hope that is curable because it will take all day to reach the end of something like the D400 thread!
    Always learning.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    +1 to make the site bigger. most of us use screens that are at least 1280px wide, so using only 800px is a waste of space. 

for all of You that have problems with editing Your posts. if You click the <> icon You can alter the pure HTML, that's behind the text You write. this allows You to delete unnecessary formatting.