Post all forum problems here

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    If you find the text too small, enlarge the default text size in your browser, it really isn't that hard... :-)
    But then everything else is HUGE?

@Peter:  When I said I was struggling with the editing, it wasn't that I couldn't see the button, it was that it doesn't do what you think it will.  I accidentally quoted the wrong member - he was also quoting the member I wanted to quote - so his name came up as being quoted.  I tried to edit the post, correcting the misquote by pasting the correct quote over the misquote and the forum software got very confused!

Also:  When I open a multiple page thread it only takes me to the bottom of the first page, I then have to click page by page to get to the most recent post.  I hope that is curable because it will take all day to reach the end of something like the D400 thread!
    if You will have problems with Your posts, just PM me please - will fix it for You. also by default You land on the last page of discussion if You click on the particular thread, at least that's how it works over here. 
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Ah, Adamz - it may be better than I thought - the new forum seems to remember where you last looked at a thread and takes you back there.  So if you have not read it at all, it starts you at the beginning, if you have read all but the last, it takes you to the end.

That is cool.
    :>
    Always learning.
    Man, this forum looks bizzare on a 1920 wide screen - are any photographers actually still using such a narrow screen?  What is the reason for such a narrow working area?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It most likely uses this format to remain friendly to tablets and smartphones.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    @spray - my lowest res is 2560px (apart from iPhone & iPad) so I know how it looks :)
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    edited December 2012
    I have seen other forum software that let the users configure the background colours, image sixes, way they view each thread (strictly linear, or with responses to quotes indented below the quoted post) and so on.

Does this software have any of that functionality so people like me who might prefer a black background can set it ourselves under our user profiles? If not, let's just put a thin red line across the top of the forum to at least make it L-quality :)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012

You must mean like this, huh, shawnino?

Or like this?

TEST
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Cmon guys, keep the noise down!

I have to say that I could pass by my screen back on the old forum and see at a glance what was going on.  I am not being a luddite and please don't take this as ungrateful, but the freshness should be shown in hours and minutes since the last post, and the name of the poster was very useful along with the number of posts in the thread, but they all need to be nicely in line like they were before so a sweep with the eye can see change much easier than on the new forum.

Is this possible?  What do others think?

Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    OK, if one looks at the main forum page, I believe it shows the time of the last post and who that was.  And, this is Header 5 and Arial Font

TEST
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • bjrichusbjrichus Posts: 23Member
    Yeah, that option to save pic on the server should be turfed.

I know the new forum is now up and running, but I'm a member of a few forums and the ones Powered by vBulletin® are fantastic.  Maybe something to look into during the next upgrade.
    In defense of the [NR] forum, the software being used is open source - so I assume is free. Using vBulletin with your own branding and no other limits seems to require a fee, although I may be wrong.

As I am looking at the now more populated list of messages, I am struck at how 1980's text only it kind of looks now compared to the more "graphics-rich" BBS systems out there today.

That said, I don't want to take away from the work Peter and crew have done and continue to do in getting [NR] the place it is. Running the BBS is no easy task and us users are always grumbling about something or other...  :D
    OK, if one looks at the main forum page, I believe it shows the time of the last post and who that was.  And, this is Header 5 and Arial Font

TEST
    Sure, and Peter has managed to make that a local time but to illustrate better what I mean, you only need to look at the old page against the new.  The old page is an instant read, the new one is a tedious forage to get the same info.  I know it is almost the same, but if it were 'tabbed' into columns so all could be glanced, it would be much better.

What a shame the layout couldn't be of the old forum with the anti-spam of the new one!
    Always learning.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I can't post from my phone. I type and nothing shows up in the compose box. If it helps, I'm on Android Jelly Bean using Chrome version 18.0.1025469

This will probably save my thumb some grief. Sometimes I get started on a 'quick' post and it ends up being not so quick.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    @msmoto:

Interesting that you could edit my post, at least for font. Is that through the mod tools?

Or can I also edit globally/locally for font/background colour and so forth?

Font is least important to me, but it's a start.

Cheers.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I increased the default font of the comments and the titles on the main page by 20%.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Yeah, that option to save pic on the server should be turfed.

I know the new forum is now up and running, but I'm a member of a few forums and the ones Powered by vBulletin® are fantastic.  Maybe something to look into during the next upgrade.
    In defense of the [NR] forum, the software being used is open source - so I assume is free. Using vBulletin with your own branding and no other limits seems to require a fee, although I may be wrong.

As I am looking at the now more populated list of messages, I am struck at how 1980's text only it kind of looks now compared to the more "graphics-rich" BBS systems out there today.

That said, I don't want to take away from the work Peter and crew have done and continue to do in getting [NR] the place it is. Running the BBS is no easy task and us users are always grumbling about something or other...  :D
    Unfortunately there is no "crew", just me alone. The guys from the hosting company helped me with the initial installation, but that's about it.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Changed also the font color to black.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I can't post from my phone. I type and nothing shows up in the compose box. If it helps, I'm on Android Jelly Bean using Chrome version 18.0.1025469

This will probably save my thumb some grief. Sometimes I get started on a 'quick' post and it ends up being not so quick.
    The forum also uses a different color theme on an iPhone. I will investigate this. I will be on the road the next few days with limited Internet access.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I also added more space between the different discussion on the fron page.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Ah, Adamz - it may be better than I thought - the new forum seems to remember where you last looked at a thread and takes you back there.  So if you have not read it at all, it starts you at the beginning, if you have read all but the last, it takes you to the end.

That is cool.
    :>
    That is correct - this is why you are shown different portions of the discussions. 
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    Man, this forum looks bizzare on a 1920 wide screen - are any photographers actually still using such a narrow screen?  What is the reason for such a narrow working area?
    Even on a lager screen, I never use my browser in a maximum resolution because I have other windows opened. I believe this is a pretty standard length - go to cnn.com for example.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I like the changes, Peter. Thanks!
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    edited December 2012
    Ok, for everyone that doesn't like the front page because it has too much information: do you think something like that will be better (obviously I will change the blue color):

Here is a direct link to the attachment: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/uploads/FileUpload/59/359d0b66319f2821d0534a648b2c42.png
    Post edited by Peter on
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    With the above design you will be also able to vote comments up/down.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    peter the image is not visible - way too small, and I can't enlarge it

BTW: can You make the forum width at least 1024px?