Photo-A-Day

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited September 2023 in Photo-a-day
As a courtesy we ask that you keep your photos to under 640 pixels on the longest side. If you post a photo that is much larger than 640 pixels then it may be deleted from the thread. You can have your smaller photo link to a larger version but the embedded photos must be less than 640 pixels. If you need help on how to post a photo see below and read through the Forum Rules & FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Please do not offer criticism of other's images unless specifically requested by the individual posting the photo. Criticism may be best accomplished by posting comments on Flickr or the OP’s photo posting source.

Please read the forum rules regarding the posting of images not suitable for family viewing.

Instructions on posting from Flickr are to be found here:
http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day-new-instructions#Item_142
Post edited by spraynpray on
Always learning.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Pelican and cormorant

Nikon Z6 with 24-120mm S, cropped and upscaled with Capture One.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Parrot_Green_Z603366
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,711Member
    edited September 2023
    I recently was in North Dakota and didn't want to check any luggage so I elected to leave my Z9 and Z8 at home with their great S lenses. Instead, I took my old Z50, two fast third party cheap lenses for portraiture of mom (I already posted one image from each lens) and one Nikon lens, the 18-140mm f3.5 to 6.3. While there I attended an "old time farming" event showing steam powered tractors and antique thrashing machines in operation; a dusty environment. I already posed one image of an old timer working at that event and this is the second portrait of an old timer there. A great advantage of this cheap DX zoom lens is not having to change lenses in a dusty environment. It was about lightness and versatility this trip and how much can be done with how little. I am not seeking any prize winning, super sharp or huge print photos. Just enjoying the photo hobby and taking some pictures of my 99 year old mom in her normal environment for family remembrances. That is a legitimate use case. My normal camera bag was only half full! Z50_2082a
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    last light of the day. Click through to flickr to see full resolution

DON_4012A_1A
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    A little trip I took to Grand Teton. Grand Teton is the black spot in the bottom. Above it is the galactic core. Can anybody spot Trantor?

Sagittarius
    This was taken a short time after the lighthouse picture I posted above. More magenta in the sky and better wave pattern in the foreground. I think this is a better image overall.

Last Light of the Day_2
    Good to see WestEndFoto back posting in NR.
    Lower Falls prior to Sunrise.

American Northwest Roadtrip Series - #23
    edited October 2023
    Maine coastline from the Marginal Way path in Ogunquit. Shot with Z50 and DX 18-140 zoom, a great light travel combination you can purchase used for about $1,200.00.

Rocky Coast of Maine from Marginal Way
    I just reprocessed this one taken three years ago. Probably would have been better if I had a blue sky at the time BUT the cloudy bright spring day also means soft non-directional light inside the room. Probably better if I had not shot it at f1.4 but rather at f2.8 or f4 to capture more detail in the foreground flowers. I am starting to think that shooting wide open is a trend that will pass as time goes on. Perhaps it would be wise to shoot the same composition at different f-stops when taking the shot to see what you actually like better at a later time. We tend to shoot different angles or different expressions but not different f-stops.

2020 Yoga in Sunroom Reprocessed_2023
    Maybe this is a sad reality and shows why camera sales are so down. Pico Ski Resort in Vermont. Cellphone jpeg pic with minor post-processing in Adobe Photoshop Elements. You don't need a "real" camera anymore for capturing some good photos on travel. Click through to flckr and view full size. How in the world can that little lens and that little sensor do this? And why cannot full frame sensors and lenses do 100 times more than this given their much larger size? It's a mystery to me. It seems full frame technology is far behind cellphone technology.

PicoSkiResort_Vermont
    Another cellphone pic from Maine. Click on the picture to see it better in flickr.

Kennebunkport River, Kennebunkport, Maine
  • gene_mcgillgene_mcgill Posts: 396Member
    edited October 2023
    Untitled

Hmmm... The rendering of this image (as viewed on my monitor) in this NR forum is much lower resolution than the image on Flickr and seems lower quality than I remember seeing on NR. The Flickr version is not showing the image at the size I uploaded, though it does look much better than what I see here. Viewing 100% on my monitor looks quite good to me, far better than a similar image taken on my iPhone 12 Pro.
    Post edited by gene_mcgill on
    Yes Gene. I have noticed the same thing. You always want to "click through to flickr "to see the "real" image which was posted on NR and that phrase, "click through to flickr" are words I often add to my posted picture to encourage viewers to do so. Nikon Rumors limits the pixels too much in posted images. I don't know why but suspect it is a function of old software used from back in the 12 megapixel days. We cannot change NR, just learn to always "click through to flickr" before forming an opinion on the posted image.
    edited October 2023
    Taken with a cellphone. Click through to flickr to see much better.

Fisherman's Walk, York Harbor, Maine
    That is a beautiful image Gene.

Old Faithfull. It was going to be hopeless to get this without people. So instead I made the people a feature. Shows how big and impressive the geyser is.

American Northwest Roadtrip Series - #35
    Morning walk on the rocky coastline of Maine. Click through to see it on flickr. Cellphone pic.

Gina in Barbie Pink on the Cliff Walk in York Harbor, Maine
  • gene_mcgillgene_mcgill Posts: 396Member

That is a beautiful image Gene.

Thank you WestEndFoto!
    edited October 2023
    Kennebunkport, Maine. Cellphone.

Charming Kennebunkport, Maine.
    Perkin's Cove, Maine.

Charming Perkin's Cove in Ogunquit, Maine