A get together in 2014 for forum members FREEPORT, MAINE/MARCH 27-30, 2014

Comments

• PickerelPickerel Posts: 154Member
    Hmm... there's a chance I will be there, and a chance I will be in Maine but not there. The Downeast Folk Festival is in Falmouth, Maine toward the end of March, so I will definitely be in Maine for that. Hopefully the weekends don't overlap, because then regrettably I must choose dancing. I would certainly make a cameo appearance before / after the dancing. And heck, anybody's invited to come try dancing if these events coincide. If they don't coincide, I'll just come up for both weekends and do whatever I do in between. I love extra excuses to go to Maine. :)
    Appalachian Trail class of 2013, Georgia to Maine
    Continuing adventures at shepherdadventures.wordpress.com
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The special room rate is already gone at $95/night.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am going to Acadia in Maine this fall (September 16 in Freeport) and then on to Acadia. I am travelling with a senior travel agent who has been almost everywhere and regards this spot as about the best. Freeport is an excellent gathering spot. I am going to NYC with the same agent in November and even with the best discounts THAT is EXPENSIVE! Maine would be much better! The Big Apple is NOT a good place for an event. Lake Placid maybe, Burlington, Vermont, maybe. I suggest you pick a spot people would be HAPPY in and I think Maine would be an excellent choice. Having been there in every month I would strongly suggest September after Labor Day for sure as rates and traffic are superior. Fall color though in the Lake Placid (Adirondacks) is far more vibrant than Acadia.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    We will have more rooms available tomorrow for anyone who wants to book for the 2014 meeting. The response was more than we anticipated. Looks like we will have "really great show" in the words of Ed Sullivan...LOL.
    Msmoto, mod
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    No clue if I can make it.

Not trying to stir the pot--but are you guys sure you want to roll the dice on Maine in March? If thre's a snowstorm coming across, Maine will take the worst of it. It might be a 5-10% shot, but it's not zero.

Anybody flying, I would fly into Boston Logan. Every flight in/out of Logan seems to be delayed 30-60 min, all the time, forever, but it'll be the last to close and the first to re-open in bad weather.

The area is lovely. If the weather co-operates, you've done well.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited September 2013

Not trying to stir the pot--but are you guys sure you want to roll the dice on Maine in March? If thre's a snowstorm coming across, Maine will take the worst of it. .
    No risk - No fun.

Thanks for putting all the effort into this project MsMoto.
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
    @Benji2505

Thank you.... I suppose the fact I was raised in South Dakota would come as no surprise.....

But, I will do some investigation on venues to be used before the Maine meeting.... like Niagara Falls....which I see as a two or three day shoot. Then on to Freeport. Also, some phone calls regarding permission for us to enter specific private properly will be sought out so as to grab good shoreline images....

Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Based upon my trip to Main 4 years ago, having access to private property will make a huge difference.

Like the idea of a 2 day shoot at Niagara Falls.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Niagara Falls is quite a trip from Maine. The should be plenty of venues in the area. White Mountains?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The park Loop on Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain are two of the best scenic wonders in Maine and besides the NP very inexpensive pass the private lands issues there are minimal.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 10Member
    I live just outside of Portland and at this point I should be in town so this works well for me. If there are questions about where to find good locations for shoots, I can probably provide some guidance.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 10Member
    Just a note on Acadia. At the end of March, the park won't be opened for the season yet so only some parts will be accessible. For example, some of the loop road and the road up to Cadillac mountain will still be closed for the winter.
    Thanks, Steve, we will look forward to your guidance on other venues.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PickerelPickerel Posts: 154Member
    I can provide lotsa suggestions on cool spots to visit in the western mountains. Some of them may require at least a bit of hiking, though. ;)
    Appalachian Trail class of 2013, Georgia to Maine
    Continuing adventures at shepherdadventures.wordpress.com
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    FYI for informational purposes only and maybe for next year... I take NE cruises out of NY almost every year in Sept - Oct and My total cost including parking, tips, taxes is under $750 per person. Stops are Newport RI, Boston MA, Bar Harbor ME, St Johns NB CA and Halifax NS CA. Different photo ops each day. Great food, entertainment, places to meet are all there. Group rates are possible if 16 cabins are booked.

There are also great deal to Alaska, photographers heaven... California Coastals that can be had in the same price range.

Just thinking too much today.

framer

I should be able to spend two day in Freeport ME.
    Thanks for all your hard work putting this together.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Well, it seems while you guys in the new world are debating and discussing, the "NRF Chapter Europe North" just goes ahead and meets.

The meeting was held in Göteborg, Sweden. Organized and hosted by Rifqi. So your challenge will be to get more NRF members on a photo than us.

NRF Meeting in Sweden

With that I am reporting back from my Sweden trip. I am looking forward to catch up with PAD and all the forum discussions.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    why didn't you tell anything about the sweden trip... I have like 10euro flights to goteborg from warsaw.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    why didn't you tell anything about the sweden trip... I have like 10euro flights to goteborg from warsaw.
    It was a members meeting, Adam. We were trying to escape from supervision of the moderators :-)

Actually we would have been great to have you there as well. I guess we just never thought about it, because the date was kind of floating up to the last day.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • RifqiRifqi Posts: 130Member
    adamz, feel free to come visit whenever you want, just bring better weather than juergen :p. As you can see we did find a rather nice location to shoot in though, just a short trip from where I live and I didn't even know about it. I'm so dragging my wife and daughter there sometime, now that I do know about it.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    rifqi - if only I knew that your from sweden, I would have visited you already :) will keep my eye on fares, as sometimes they are ridicolously low… my lowest tariff so far was 2euro return to london, and I've seen cheaper fares to sweden :)
  • RifqiRifqi Posts: 130Member
    Those are some very reasonable prices, wish it applied to flights to asia as well :p Just let me know though, would be fun to meet sometime.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2013
    FYI, I have already purchased my airline ticket for our March gathering. In fact, it was done on September 23, 2013.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    As to get togethers….I would be happy to have any folks who travel to North Carolina's Triad area to give me a PM and we could get together and even attend one of our camera club meetings.
    Msmoto, mod
  • nceencee Posts: 1Member
    Hi. Well having lived in Maine for 40+ years, and traveled the East coast from Maine to Florida each year for the last 25+, let me put my 2 cents worth.

Maine in the falls is a great place to be, but partly because it is close to Vermont. Vermont you say, yes Vermont. The colors are stunning, the places and people for the most part are great as well.

New England does have great color, and yes from one end to the other can be different from one day to the next.

Maine has the coastline, and a ton of great harbors to see and take pictures of.

Vermont has (I think) better color for a number of reasons
    - Hard wood trees are more plentiful here (think Maple syrup / Trees. The roads seem to be better cut and laid out for great viewing
    - Ben & Jerry's, Cold Hollow Cider, Chabot Cheese - all on one road, a great trip:)

On the way to VT, you get to go thru NH which has some great places for photo op's. And then you get to spend time in Maine. It doesn't get much better than this folks.

Now I will say, having spent a ton of time in NY and PA, both have some wonderful places to spend time and enjoy the scenery and let's not forget "Blue Ridge Mountains / Skyline Drive in Virginia.

The Pocono's in NY

Oh, I am a beginner at photography but do enjoy the scenery.

Some of my photos can be seen here (and YES, I'm open to any thoughts on what I need to do to get better)

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal
    - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slalemand

If it ends up in this area, I'd love to consider being part of the planning, and would see this as an OUTSTANDING way to be with folks who could help me enjoy this hobby a whole lot more and get some great tips on doing what I need to to in fact get better quicker.

Skip