A get together in 2014 for forum members FREEPORT, MAINE/MARCH 27-30, 2014

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Welcome to NRF, Skip. It looks like you will be only about thirty minutes away, so we will expect to see you. The schedule and other particulars will be published probably in January as we draw closer to the Second Annual, NRF Members Get-together.

If you have specific photo op venues, please feel free to share them. Wildlife is a popular subject, landscapes, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Msmoto, mod
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    It's been MONTHS since I got on here ! Well, I did just post about the new 58mm/1.4. I would like to go to this -- which falls right after my Birthday in '14. I know Golf007 will be there, too -- right?

Anyone thought about Vermont? I don't know the east coast very well. I see other suggestions...Anyway, will keep checking this post.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Birdman, I live in northern VT and am likely going to the meet up (staying with family in Freeport). If you have any interest in exploring VT before or after, I could potentially help you with transportation. The weather that time of year here (and in ME) can be a real mixed bag. We could be snowshoeing or we could be in t-shirts. For instance, two years ago on St Patrick's Day it was over 70 degrees. Last year on Memorial Day it snowed 3 feet in the mountains. As Twain said, "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes." At least I think it was him.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Jeepers, I used to live in Freeport back in the day; now I live in central New Hampshire and I've got to say that New England in late March and early April is just the pits; It's cold, it snows, and everything is just drab. It'll be late April before things start to green up and we all come out of hibernation. About a week before Memorial Day is a better time to come, its not too crowded and most of the state parks are opening up and the merchants are opening up for the season
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2013
    @Fritz: The gathering is not just about photography it is far more than that. Moreover, taking picture is about using the gear you have regardless of the condition, thus will allow us to gather some primary data in how some of our equipment function in such enviornments. I'm looking forward to the "pits" it is going to put many of us that do not shoot in such climates the ability to fine turn or add additional skills to our photography style. After all, if all I ever did is to play golf in sunning, no wind, hence, "fair weather golfer" then when condition change, so would my game, hence I would score badly. Adapting to the environment is key, if one want to master his skills.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • the207the207 Posts: 1Member
    March 27th is my birthday..and I live in Maine. I am sure everyone will be going to llbean...
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Be there or be square :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    March 27-30th So now that arrangements have been set for the American Sector, why don't we do the same date in the UK. Any Uk members interested?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Could be, depends on where you are thinking of @Paulr.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited January 2014
    Spraynpray, I am based in Leeds however to be fair to the UK Sector, maybe the middle of the country including Scotland and perhaps a shorter period. Maybe Manchester Area Has good Airport Links. If Manchester was chosen then perhaps a major Camera Trade store and Nikon Uk could be persuaded to get involved. subject to numbers.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Maybe the lake district could provide a good venue?
    Always learning.
    Lakes would be perfect, I do know the South Lakes well with some incredible place to visit. It could be our own Miniature Yellowstone.
    Sounds good. I guess we have to wait to see how many members express an interest in the trip. I wonder if the timing is a bit tight though. A lot of places could be booked up I reckon.
    Always learning.
    We'll I will be a SOB, I just a request for a big job from the 24-29th; thus I might be coming in on the 28th. Arrrr
    Would not worry about it Golf007sd Looking at the response, The British sector would seem a shy bunch who prefer their own company.
    edited January 2014
    @paulr: I think he is referring to the USA members meetup in Freeport, Maine. We are, after all, poaching their thread. :\">
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • henryvshenryvs Posts: 27Member
    Hi folks. I'm wondering if there are any fees to participate in the weekend, or if everything is arranged on a per-event basis - like park admissions, etc? I'm trying to assess my overall costs before fully committing (i.e.buy my plane ticket!). I can guesstimate what my general costs (for hotel, meals, park fees, etc) might be, but if there is any additional fee above and beyond to participate that would be good to know. I'm also wondering whether I'd need to rent a car while there or if we will organize some form of group transport (which we would of course share the cost of)?

On a related note, I'm debating between a direct flight from Toronto to Boston and then driving, or spending more time in airports (one stopover) and going to the Portland, ME airport. If enough people fly in to Boston the morning of the 27th, perhaps we can rent a car and drive to Freeport together.

Thanks for help with these questions. There are some good air prices from Toronto that are motivating me to ask this sooner rather than later. :)
    Toronto photographer (shooting with Nikon of course) who loves documentary, music, event and street photography.
    www.culturesnap.ca
    We will be close to Portland where renting a car would be the best idea. From Boston is a long drive through busy traffic. As to fees, there are none to attend, and at this time we are not planning on any fee based activities. We may decide to go to a special shooting venue but nothing been decided. My guess is one of us will come up with some ideas before the get together.

Last year we went to the top of Pike's Peak, Michael Garmin's Magic Town, the zoo, and ate some meals together. Also we were able to see the new 800mm f/5.6 from Nikon courtesy of our member DenverShooter.

If there are more questions, either post them or PM me.
    Msmoto, mod
  • henryvshenryvs Posts: 27Member
    Hi @Msmoto. Thanks for your helpful reply! That gives me a good sense how to budget. I'll look into flights to Portland as well then. Thanks again.
    Toronto photographer (shooting with Nikon of course) who loves documentary, music, event and street photography.
    www.culturesnap.ca
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Hello UK Nikon rumor planners,

If you plan a UK party, errr I mean meeting, please plan it in the late summer or fall. That way us US nuts would have an excuse to visit the UK. Since I have never been to Scotland or Ireland I vote for either of those two. We can still blame the entire trip on @Msmoto.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    edited February 2014
    Well, we are about seven weeks away from the second get together of NRF members in Freeport. Here are some thoughts about what i am planning on at present:
    Arrive Hampton Inn, Tuesday March 25
    Scout Seacoast venues in afternoon
    Seacoast photos Sunrise March 26 & 27
    Dinners together on March 27, 28, 29
    Informal get togethers to be determined.
    Depart on Sunday March 30 after breakfast

I will be doing some more investigation of venues around Freeport, but I just might be doing a lot of street photography of the other visitors to Freeport.

So, it might be nice to review who is going to be at the Hampton Inn and when folks are arriving. If you would please let me know by PM or post on this thread. I will do some investigation as to the evening dinners and it might be possible to have some get-together in a room and show images on the TV as most are capable of HDMI connections.

More to follow and please offer up ideas if you have them.

Oh, food ideas:

http://www.azurecafe.com/dinner.html

http://www.1912cafe.com/menu/

http://www.antoniaspizzeria.com/_pdf/antonias-takeout-menu-2013.pdf

http://tuscanbrickovenbistro.com/menu/dinner/

Pricey:
    http://www.harraseeketinn.com/maine-inn/maine-dining-room-menu
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • stevefstevef Posts: 10Member
    I can provide a couple recommendations for photo locations.

For a scenic drive to the coast, I would recommend the drive to Orr's and Bailey Island. Take route 1 north just past Brunswick (about 15 minutes) then turn south on route 24.

Link to Baileys Island on Google Maps

For sunrise/sunset, regardless of what the weather may be, there are a number of photogenic lighthouses within driving distance of Freeport.

About 30 minutes away just south of Portland there is Portland Head Light, Spring Ledge Light, and Portland Breakwater Light:

Link to Portland Head Light on Google Maps

Link to Spring Ledge Light on Google Maps

Link to Portland Breakwater Light on Google Maps

A little further south (about 1hr 15 minutes) is Nubble Light
    Link to Nubble Light House on Google Maps

And about an hour to the north is Pemaquid Lighthouse
    Link to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse on Google Maps
    @stevef

Thank you so much, I think i have my first days figured out…..sunrise!
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2014
    @stevef: Those are some fun places to visit...hope you can join us. As for me, at the moment, I will be sitting right next to msmoto and drinking some warm stuff as we take some of those shots. Looking forward in putting some of my new toys to use...a.k.a Wonderpana Freearc /w the graduated ND filter setup for my 14-24 2.8.

Question: Are those images that you have taken personally?
    Post edited by Golf007sd on