A get together in 2014 for forum members FREEPORT, MAINE/MARCH 27-30, 2014

Comments

• stevefstevef Posts: 10Member
    Yes those are my images. I live walking distance to Portland Head Light so end up with way too many shots of that light house. If you click on the images in the post, it will take you to my smugmug site.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @stevef: Thanks for sharing. Outstanding images. Looking forward in mounting my camera in your back yard, so to say, and taking some snaps. Moreover, I hope you are willing to join us and have some fun this coming March. If this is acceptable to you, please send me and Msmoto your contact info and we will get in touch.

Cheers....
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • stevefstevef Posts: 10Member
    You'll have to help me out on this one. How would I send contact info directly? Thanks.

• Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Superb composition in some of these pics.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Private Messages are sent by clicking on a screen name, i.e., Msmoto, and when the profile appears there is a a link "Send Msmoto a Message".
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    OK, I was planning to show up but the wife has to go to Grenada that week on business. I bought myself a ticket yesterday. Cold or warm, warm wins...

Hopefully next time.

framer
  • PyratPyrat Posts: 10Member
    So, I'm quasi- local ( 2 hours away- in southern NH) and will be attempting to join for at least one day- is the Hampton the de facto headquarters for activities? My new 610 is on the way, and by then it will time for it's salt spray baptism, best to have knowledgeable officiants with me to supervise the ceremony.
    D610, 11-16 Tok, 17-50 Siggy, 35 f1.4 Siggy, 70-300AFS, 24-120 f4, 70-200 f2.8 vII, 50 f1.4D, 85 f1.4D, 55 2.8AIS Nikkors. SB 900, SB 600, B&W, Lee filters
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Well, There's a lot of things to do in the area but since the weather is always an issue, there's LLBean in Freeport and the rest of the shopping and the city of Portland just south of Freeport that has some interesting architecture and a first rate art museum that frequently features photography of local artists, and the State of Maine museum in Augusta does a great job of explaining Maine history with a number of historically significant displays.(non flash photography permitted) It can be hard to get good access to the coast with the state beaches and parks still closed but there are some interesting areas down by the Freeport town docks and in
    Portland harbor and there is a water taxi in Portland as well to get to some of the harbor islands. Of course there are literally hundreds of good restaurants in the area. The weather can be really cold and raw or fairly mild and enjoyable so plan to bring appropriate clothing and foul weather covers for your gear. And last of all, Maine is a really big place and the roads can be dicey so plan your time (its a full day's travel from Portland to Acadia national park). Have fun!
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Fritz: Thanks for your input. If possible come join us....cheers :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I'm sitting here trying to get up enough energy to shovel snow and I had a few more random thoughts. The south coastal area of Maine from Brunswick to the New Hampshire border is almost over populated and ocean front access can be really hard to find. If you go north from Freeport, north of Brunswick, the coast opens up and you can find lots of small villages and seascapes with lots of interest and texture. Popham state beach is open year round and it has the reputation of being the most photogenic beach in the state and if you get there on a grey day with the surf up it can be spectacular.
    If you get tired of the coast you can drive west from Portland on route 302 and you will be only about two hours from the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. The Kancamaugus highway is a seasonal route that runs through the middle of the forest and it has great photo ops. And there is always Mount Washington, the highest point in the northeast and that is spectacular any time, and if the snow is off the auto road you can take a livery to the top. You can spend years shooting the landscape of the top and never capture all the texture and beauty of those scenes.
    I hate to say it but I think you will find you just haven't enough time to see everything you'd like and the weather is going to a bit of a problem this time of year. Have fun!
    edited March 2014
    Here is the kind of fun we had last year in Colorado…

Oh, Jeff Zwart is a first class photographer...
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Just a point of interest…someone will have some studio lights at the get together and will be taking head-shots of the attendees…just FYI...
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    All I can say is you guys are crazy going to this location this time of the year. I am so tired of the cold weather there is no way I would travel to Maine for more. I get out a lot and take pictures in the Winter but am getting to the age where the old bones get cold so easy. :((
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    As I sit here looking at the thermometer that reads -4 in central New Hampshire I couldn't agree more with Photobug.
    It's a little warmer on the ocean and one month can make a big difference.
  • brian09223brian09223 Posts: 9Member
    IS there a designated Hotel and Meet-up area?
    edited March 2014
    NRF members in Freeport.
    FREEPORT, MAINE FROM MARCH 27 - 30, 2014

Hampton Inn Freeport, and having stayed at dozens of Hampton inns around the country, I have found the accommodations exceptional. - I have no idea if any rate exceptions are still available, but here is an old link.
    http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/P/PWMFPHX-NRF-20140324/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
    Here are some thoughts about what i am planning on at present:
    Arrive Hampton Inn, Tuesday March 25
    Scout Seacoast venues in afternoon
    Seacoast photos Sunrise March 26 & 27
    Dinners together on March 27, 28, 29
    Informal get togethers to be determined.
    Depart on Sunday March 30 after breakfast

I will be doing some more investigation of venues around Freeport, but I just might be doing a lot of street photography of the other visitors to Freeport.

So, it might be nice to review who is going to be at the Hampton Inn and when folks are arriving. If you would please let me know by PM or post on this thread. I will do some investigation as to the evening dinners and it might be possible to have some get-together in a room and show images on the TV as most are capable of HDMI connections.

More to follow and please offer up ideas if you have them.

Oh, food ideas:

http://www.azurecafe.com/dinner.html

http://www.1912cafe.com/menu/

http://www.antoniaspizzeria.com/_pdf/antonias-takeout-menu-2013.pdf

http://tuscanbrickovenbistro.com/menu/dinner/

Pricey:
    http://www.harraseeketinn.com/maine-inn/maine-dining-room-menu

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Tuscan Bistro has good food. Don't know about the others. Was there about 4 years ago.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I had one of the best meals of my life at the Harrasseeket a few years ago. Don't discount Portland which is a great small city with lots of photo ops and great restaurants and its only 30 minutes south of Freeport. Freeport to my mind is pretty much LL Bean and a bunch of outlet shops and not much else. The coast line at South Freeport is pretty developed and hard to get access to but there is a small harbor,and a state beach that might be worth exploring. Pickings might be better further north.
    I forgot to mention Portland Head Light is iconic and more or less accessible. The folks at Hunt's photo in Portland might be a great source of local info.
    Thanks, Fritz...
    Msmoto, mod
  • bonefishmonbonefishmon Posts: 2Member
    If not mentioned earlier, a stop for lunch or dinner at Gritty McDuff's brew pub in Freeport or (old) Portland is an absolute must! It is the only place we go to eat when visiting LL Bean.
  • bonefishmonbonefishmon Posts: 2Member
    It's a little warmer on the ocean and one month can make a big difference.
    Not in Maine it isn't. If the water is in the low 30's and the breeze on shore.............? It's 33 degrees in Long Island Sound today. I have the time to come up and will, regardless of the weather. Maine is Maine. No matter what the season. If you love Maine in the summer and have yet to experience an early winter to spring transition, this might be an good time to visit. The farms are an astounding subject with long rolling fields and weathered boards. Plenty of snow that may stay around. I may just get out the Nikon F5 and shoot some black&white. Maybe a few rolls of Velvia. \:D/
    I referenced a comment from mainland NH. Right on the water it is always a little warmer than inland ( in the winter). I am on Southcoast MA and it was friggin cold yesterday and today, but eventually it'll warm up. And we have to keep in mind: there is no wrong weather, just wrong clothing.
    I talked to a guy that runs ski day trips here out of New Bedford and this ski season is still in full swing up there. Maybe we can get some action shots at a ski resort.
    I am sure we will have more ideas than we can agree on, when we are there, so overall I am not worried about the program.
    MsMoto, I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of central get together on Friday night, so we can all meet and make plans for the weekend.
    As noted above, I will be at the Hampton Inn, Freeport, from Tuesday evening until Sunday morning. A message can be sent to me at the Hampton, or if anyone wants my contact info, send me a PM and I will give you my phone. Most likely, we will have dinner together Thursday, Friday, Saturday evening, all dependent on how many folks we have in Freeport. Other activities are as determined.
    Msmoto, mod