Making Money ( from Photography)

1235»

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    ptrmcky
    Makes a very good point, it is very difficult to earn a living just from photography but if you can combine it with another skill, then you are in with a good chance
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    In my opinion, trying to earn a living as a photographer is a tough way to make a living and an easy way to kill a hobby.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think we may be doing it all wrong
    the way to make money seems to be
    make out of focus black and white limited edition prints
    preferably with lots of dust on the negative
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-26336525
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    edited February 2014
    OK I'll bite. I've been a little reluctant to post in this thread but here goes. The quickest way I've found to separate dollars from parents faster than Wal~mart is to photograph their kids on horseback. The best weekend, not week, grossed $1700. That included my wife printing while I shot. The shots were taken every hour in the outback so to speak. I had the run of the place and could take the photos where no one else could. It didn't take long to pay for printers, a flagship Canon 1D MII, and a 70-200 f2.8L IS lens. Rodeo on Saturday night was an added bonus of $7500 a year. Drag boat racing paid for large poster prints but the competitions are not that often. One new venue I'm looking at trying to develop is boat to boat offshore photography of sport fishermen. I get a free ride and paid to boot. Plane to plane is in the works. For plane to plane and boat to boat there is an added expense. It can be rented but if the venue comes together then I'll buy for the convenience of being ready on a moments notice.

http://www.ken-lab.com/stabilizers/2012-02-04-21-28-47/gyro-kits/ks-8-gyro-kit-detail
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I "sold" 3 more of my photos and they are part of my Chicago buidling series. Thank you sigma!

Now maybe this is way off topic but if you ever need to make an insurance claim you would need the proper business insurance if you make a cent from your photography. If the insurance company can prove that you made money then they will cover your equipment from your home insurance
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    ptrmcky,

So hows the framing doing? FotoFrame can be a nice mix.

framer
    aka The Picture Framing Grumble