• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    I am not too concerned about rigidity
    I will not be using along lens
    I dont need much extension.
    I tend to work at sunrise, when there is not much wind
    I want to be able to set it up quickly
    once locked, I want it to stay locked and not suddenly collapse
    I agree for normal use, the Manfrotto 055 is the lightest/ smallest I would consider
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Not a tripod, but a very nice monopod, this can be a walking stick, then used as a monopod, and on mine I have an ARCA Swiss clamp, so I can use the knob with its ARCA Swiss plate and have a normal walking stick, when needed switch over to a camera. I will test this out with about 15 lbs in a week or so.

Often, a monopod used with another stable object can suffice for a tripod.

http://www.trackspoles.com/walking_hiking.asp?Action=SherlockStaff
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    . A 'travel tripod' will always be smaller and lighter than a normal tripod and as such will be a compromise on rigidity and capacity (otherwise everybody would buy one and use it as their normal tripod). When a low budget is stipulated, more of a compromise must take place.
    One of characteristics of a Travel tripod seems to be a fixed, light weight, non removable, ball socket head.

The fact they are light weight, does not mean they have to be twangy, flimsy or even cheap

A studio tripod is usually heavy so it does not more between shots
    the best ones used to made of Mahogany and Brass

Dare I say, a normal tripod is a compromise :)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

So True! I will keep that in mind. Have to remember quality equipment is also important! A friend of mine is still using her D90 (strictly a hobby) and her photos are gorgeous after all these years!

the d90 was one of my all time favorite nikons... a bit noisy but really loved the pix that came off it

One thing to keep in mind which I just learned is no matter what tripod you buy make sure the head has a safety pin/lock/whatever, as I just found out by buying a travel tripod from a certain small british company that that told me the heads don't need them after mine has flown off suddenly many times and in 4 days broke 2 lenses and a pro body due to design flaws and no frickin safety lock the camera would just instantly fly off... awesome!
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I've just bought a Manfrotto 190 Go. I put the 804RC2 head off my 055XDB on to it.
    I love the 055 but I couldn't get into a suit case without dismantling it. The 190 Go with the head will fit into my suitcase no problems. I'm taking it to Singapore next week for some night shots - hopefully.
    I looked at the BeFree but I thought it was too flimsy
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I bought this a few weeks ago and it's proven to be a nice travel tripod. Benro FTF29AIN1 Travel Flat Series 2 Aluminum Tripod with IN1 Ball Head. Understand it is a travel pod so I'm not expecting it to handle gail force winds and super telephoto lenses but it has no problem supporting my D800 and 14-24mm.
    Load Capacity: 17.6 lb
    Max Height: 68.7"
    Min Height: 7.9"
    Folded Length: 21.7"
    Leg Sections: 5
    Weight: 4.9 lb
    One Leg Converts to Monopod
    Arca-Type Compatible Head with QR Plate
    Two-Section Center Column
    Compact Flat Profile
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited April 2016
    For travel, I use a tripod similar to what Autofocus uses: MeFoto A2350 Globetrotter. It also partially disassembles to create a monopod. Would I put my 300 f/2.8 on it and walk away? Not a chance. Is it steady enough to handle longer exposures with my 17-35 or 24-70? Yes. And as a smart person once told me, you can have the sturdiest, most expensive tripod in the world, but if it's so big and heavy that it prevents you from traveling with it it does you no good.
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    My gear is heavy, pro bodies and up to a 400 2.8 lens.

My tripod fit in my checked bag to fly, weighs 4. 7lbs, 24.4 inches folded length, f ully extended height 68.8 inches. @4.7lbs I can still pack using one checked bag. @4.7 lbs I can still carry it on my back.

For years I was using a aluminum tripod that was about the same size and could fit in my checked bag but weighed over 10lbs.

I'm using an RRS TVC-34L
    Some may not consider this a travel tripod but I do.

Bottom line, You may not need a 50lb capacity tripod today but over the next 20 years if you do you could find it cheaper to buy one today and be done with it.

Just saying...

framer
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    proudgeek said:

For travel, I use a tripod similar to what Autofocus uses: MeFoto A2350 Globetrotter. It also partially disassembles to create a monopod. Would I put my 300 f/2.8 on it and walk away? Not a chance. Is it steady enough to handle longer exposures with my 17-35 or 24-70? Yes. And as a smart person once told me, you can have the sturdiest, most expensive tripod in the world, but if it's so big and heavy that it prevents you from traveling with it it does you no good.

Use this as my travel option also and works well enough with the 24-70 and a D800 unless in very windy instances..
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Getting a "traveling tripod" is a very tricky purchase; thus, for those that seek such a gear, I highly recommend considering the type of photography he or she will be conducting, in relation to the gear being used. That is to say, if you are shooting some BIF or objects moving very fast, which require a gamble or a ballhead sturdy enough to comfortably hold a larger focal length lens (i.e. 200+ prince and up)...very few traveling tripods offer reasonable support and sturdiness. However, if your intention are to shot at night, where you will be using a wide angle lens 24mm or less, then your option in finding a "small, light, traveling tripod" opens up.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • CassieCassie Posts: 19Member
    How much should I spend for my first?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Golf's comments are good. Welcome back Ali.

There is a direct correlation between how much you spend and how sturdy the tripod is. The more money the better.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I'd buy the absolute cheapest one you can find ($15.95):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/796298-REG/Magnus_PV_3310_Photo_Tripod_With.html

When you get that, use it for a few weeks/months to figure out what you like and hate about it. Then you will go spend $400 on the one these guys are talking about:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926478-REG/benro_c2350q2k_2_series_carbon_travel_tripod.html

You will then throw your $16 tripod in the trunk of your car as emergency backup :smile:
    Cheapest lesson you can buy :wink:
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    That is smart thinking Ironheart.
    lmfao! I actually have that first one... I had some walmart dollars and online it was like $15, in store was $47, so I ended up paying like $5 for it and to use it as a speed light stand.

I did throw my d7000 on it a few times (no way it would have held up my d700) and I'd have to stuff a sock under the clamp to try and even it up (put a camera on it and it tilts heavily) but sadly I trusted it more than my "new" 3lt :D

Ironheart said:

I'd buy the absolute cheapest one you can find ($15.95):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/796298-REG/Magnus_PV_3310_Photo_Tripod_With.html

When you get that, use it for a few weeks/months to figure out what you like and hate about it. Then you will go spend $400 on the one these guys are talking about:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926478-REG/benro_c2350q2k_2_series_carbon_travel_tripod.html

You will then throw your $16 tripod in the trunk of your car as emergency backup :smile:
    Cheapest lesson you can buy :wink:

Golf007sd said:

Getting a "traveling tripod" is a very tricky purchase; thus, for those that seek such a gear, I highly recommend considering the type of photography he or she will be conducting, in relation to the gear being used. That is to say, if you are shooting some BIF or objects moving very fast, which require a gamble or a ballhead sturdy enough to comfortably hold a larger focal length lens (i.e. 200+ prince and up)...very few traveling tripods offer reasonable support and sturdiness. However, if your intention are to shot at night, where you will be using a wide angle lens 24mm or less, then your option in finding a "small, light, traveling tripod" opens up.

That is something to think about. When I bought my first RRS tripod, I bought the largest sturdiest one so that I would have a solid all round tripod. If I get a supertelephoto, it will even be fine for that. However, the more I travel, the more I am convincing myself to get the lightest that RRS has to offer, as the 200mm f/4 is the heaviest lens that I will likely use.
    So if I wanna spend a thousand what should I buy? It will hold my camera for video and I like that ghosty water stuff too. I might buy an FX camera and that new 24-70 zoom looks super!
    You know, I always tell people to spend more money on lenses, not cameras. Cameras are junk after a few years, where a professional grade lens just keeps going. Perhaps you appreciate that if you are thinking about the 24-70mm 2.8 (E or G?). I just bought the E and it is a great lens.

But a tripod. Buy a good tripod and you will have it for the rest of your life. My tripod is a third more than my most expensive lens (with accessories). I expect to will it to my son.

So you might think about increasing your budget a bit and going for this:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Series-1-Support-Packages?custcol25=2&custcol26=3

With the pano gimbal head for video and the BH-30 compact ballhead for that "ghosty water stuff", which by the way we call "long exposure". However, I think that you have captured the flavour a lot better......... You will also need an L Bracket to fit whatever camera you buy. If you get a battery pack, they make L brackets especially for them.

I have the top of the line RRS, but am thinking of also buying something like this kit for travel. My heaviest kit that I would likely put on a tripod is my D800 with a 135mm DC 2.0 or maybe my 200mm f/4.0, but more likely one of my AIS lenses (20-50). It is probably good enough for a 24-70mm 2.8E if you buy that, but add up all the weights and look at the tripod specifications to be sure. The pano head does not accept too heavy a load, but if you buy a D5500 with a smaller lens, you will be OK. If the BH-30 is too small for what you need, the BH-40 may be what you need. If you call RRS, their customer service is second to none. Better yet, I see that you are moving to California. Go on a nice weekend trip to San Luis Obispo where they make RRS and try them all out in the showroom.

If you are really thinking about jumping into the higher end and given that your favorite genres would benefit from a tripod (in fact, demand one), then I would consider devoting a little over $1,500 to the tripod and cutting corners elsewhere if your budget is tight.
    You may want to read this to avoid the "The poor always pay twice syndrome."

http://bythom.com/support.htm
    These tripods are complicated. That article is good my sister always pays twice which is why she is poor. The E has this VR which looks good. Wonder if it is worth it. I will use that kinda lens for video and street. More than a thousand. Wow I have to think about that?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I've played around with Golf's RRS tripod (in Maine a few years ago). It's an absolute thing of beauty and an engineering marvel. I am fully confident that it would keep any gear steady in anything short of a Cat 5 hurricane. I'm just finding that as I travel further afield to places like Alaska and Africa (where so much of your travel is on bush planes) that weight is such a premium. It's not that I wouldn't want to bring something like that, it's just that I wouldn't be able to.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited May 2016
    +1 on WestEndFoto's link. Buying once is a much wiser decision.

proudgeek - also consider a Gitzo tripod with the RRS BH-55LR tripod head. The series 5 Gitzo tripods are excellent and the 3 series are also very good. I did make a compromise decision and went with 4 extension legs instead of 3 since the folded height is less, thereby fitting into my large luggage. A 3 extension leg would not fit. So shop smart when buying a tripod and the head.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2016
    From what I read on this site a new to the market company in the UK does a good tripod with a quick release head..you don't need to take the camera off it just falls off itself....
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The marketing department has renamed that the "ultra quick release head" and is now charging a premium. YMMV. :lol: