Good travel tripod

1235»

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    That sounds like its got legs ...probably 3.......
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,711Member
    edited May 2016
    We each have two of the three legs, lean against a building, wall or tree and you add the third leg. Add good hand holding technique and shutter button control and you reduce the need for a tripod. Not to mention VR and a modern camera body that allows you to increase your ISO. But if you want to shoot landscapes with a D810 at 64 ISO in low light I can see your point. For most travel shots I think you can get along without a tripod or bring a monopod.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • Ryan_in_AZRyan_in_AZ Posts: 13Member
    I bought a RRS TVC-33S/BH-55, and recently just got a TQC-14 with a BH-30 for travel. I am shocked at how sturdy the TQC-14 is. So much so, that I don't even bring out my TVC-33 anymore. The 33 only goes out if I'm driving. I also got the RRS travel clamp and it has replaced the need for a tripod in several circumstances. It will hold a D610/750 with a heavy Tamron 15-30/2.8 no problem on a railing. That little micro ball head is a beast in sheeps clothing.

• ajm057ajm057 Posts: 6Member
    Gitzo GT1542T Series 1 Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber Tripod is light small and yet also very strong - I fitted a Unique Ball head and have used it with 600mm f/4 lens without any problem. I also bought the shorter spikes that come with rubber feet covers and can be used on all ground types.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    edited May 2016

From what I read on this site a new to the market company in the UK does a good tripod with a quick release head..you don't need to take the camera off it just falls off itself....

lmfao, I need to put the videos of that up. I see their new models just came out and they all have that same head on it. Their older heads at least clamp down right but they "innovate" the rubber pad on top, I mean obviously a skinny X or thin typed XXX in rubber should cover at least 10% or so of camera... GENIUS ! So you have to constantly retighten the release plate which of course makes you have to find a tool or coin to tighten up or take off.

I don't think people think about the small things like that.. I mean save a nickel to leave the safety post out???? come on!

It's funny how they claim to be tripod geniuses. I can see the genius discussion group at thew company :

So ok, lets make the ball head lock smaller with a weaker locking knob and I guess a lot shorter since the lock will only be in contact with a small amount of the release plate (laughs all around and then someone says... those suckers with large area release plates and all that gripping surface... so ancient!) so ours will be smaller, provide a vary small surface area grab and since it's so important for the release plate NOT to move, let's go ahead and cover the release plate with a shiny, slippery paint because of course that will help it stay still! and then after a use or two the paint will start to crack, which on the positive side will give it a cool urban look but on the negative side out customers camera will magically just slide off tripod at some random time and ruin their gear***more laughs around***, yeah and then we'll string them along for months by telling them we'll replace their gear, hell we/ll even tell those suckers we'll upgrade their gear. Then we'll just trying them along for several months until they send us their broken gear and then we'll go back on our word *** more laughs around***, then we'll get them to send us the tripod backhand then we'll try to never talk to them again and we'll just keep their personal property as well.... and hell do we even need to go into all the issues, such as the leg locks not working right, not loosening or loosening during shooting which of course lets the tripod fall over or any of the other issues.

**Please note that this is a very sore subject to me and the above may or may not have happened as it was a dramatization and try and put a funny spin on my unacceptable issues with them... however, the parts about the heads design and cameras flying off (my d700 and 2 lenses) are true as are the parts where they promised me over 18 times that they would replace my gear and that I could upgrade etc... So please take my words sarcastically as I mean not to tarnish their name but just make you pay attention to what you're buying or else you'll end up like me with broken gear, empty promises,time wasted and money lost**

Now it is a good looking tripod and they did analyst hundreds of thousands of images to come to the conclusion that the most common color is the blue they use on the head. Really, they actually had to analyze that lol I found that it usually scares off wildlife, as they don't know it's the most common color just that it doesn't belong there. At least if they would have painted it red it would attract hummingbirds... of course assuming it holds your camera on it at all.

If you do like their design there's like 10 other companies that I'm assuming all get the same parts from a Chinese company and just have little differences like colors and heads that are made right and lord forbid have locking posts in them. And they don't seem to have all the issues the XXX ones have.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @daveznspace

I think we can leave the posts like the above about your tripod there. Please feel free to update us when you have either reached a resolution with the company or hit a wall. I have edited your post to remove the company name.
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

@daveznspace

I think we can leave the posts like the above about your tripod there. Please feel free to update us when you have either reached a resolution with the company or hit a wall. I have edited your post to remove the company name.

well here's the update.... I had to send it back and they promised an immediate resolution to my satisfaction. That was over a month ago. Currently they have my property and have only emailed me once since and that was on may 3rd to say they'd look at it that day and let me know the next day.... haven't heard from them since. They will get one more very brief chance honor their agreement or it's ready to be submitted for court.

Now I had no issue mentioning their name since their ceo told me to feel free to give them damning reviews as long as there isn't libelous content, which none of it has or will be, nor needs to be as they painted their own picture. He even said "Where we fail, we deserve to be shamed".
  • Nikonsince1974Nikonsince1974 Posts: 78Member
    edited June 2016
    Although it might be considered too "old school" by some here, the Slik U212 is a great travel tripod. I have traveled with mine for over 30 years. It is not made of carbon fiber, but it also does not carry the carbon fiber price tag either. It is still reasonably lightweight and compact and although it is stated to support up to about 7 pounds, I have had my D700 w/ MB-D10, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS Nikkor, TC-300 and Movo Gimbal head, about 22 pounds worth, on it and shot images of elk just after sunrise at 1/13 second and they are sharp as a needle
    Post edited by Nikonsince1974 on
    Nikon F2S w/ MD-2, FE-2 w/ MD-12, Nikkormat FT3, Nikonos V, F4S, D700

16mm f/2.8 Fisheye AIS, 18mm f/3.5 AIS, 24mm f/2.8 AIS, 28mm f/2.8 AI, 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkors, 35mm f/2.8 AIS, 50mm f/1.4 non-AI (AI’d), 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro w/ PK-13, 85mm f/1.4 AIS, 80-200 f/4 AIS, 105mm f/1.8 AIS, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS, 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS, TC14B and TC300.

Hasselblad 500CM with PM90 prism finder and A12/A16 backs, 40mm f/4 CF, 60mm f/3.5 CF, 80mm f/2.8 C, 150mm f/4 C and 250mm f/5.6 C lenses
  • harlequin2harlequin2 Posts: 4Member
    The best travel tripod weighs nothing, costs nothing and is everywhere you see a building, or a tree, or some other solid object that's tall enough and rigid enough to lean against. I've done 5 second exposures with nothing more than the side of a building to snuggle up to. Works a treat! OK, if you are in the middle of a desert or something, might be a problem, but then you can lie down and adopt the "sniper's pose" especially if you have a jacket or something to use as a rest.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    No question, simple can be great at times. I have a Leitz mini pod from the 1960's, easily carried in a pocket, yet will work for the long exposures when on a firm base, building, etc.
    Msmoto, mod