Critique My Image

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Like it. :-)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I never get tired of RR pictures. Vrey nice shot of the wheels.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • GrowlerGrowler Posts: 4Member
    Sorry people, image has been resized! Won't happen again!
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2014
    I just know no one will like this .. but .. i like it !! but I dont know why ..

2 photos one of the girls at twilight after sunset. the second is a sunset with gulls in the air.
    using colour merge to overlay the the girls layer over the sunset layer.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    @hearty - I would back off the vignette a bit, but I like it.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Very nice Heartfisher!
  • elopez95elopez95 Posts: 37Member
    I recently purchased my first ever camera (the lovely d7100). This is the first RAW picture I have edited with lightroom so feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    DSC_1423.jpg
  • @heartyfisher 2 girls back to back blended in the background as a watercolor painting, waves on the left, all very relaxed. I like it for the colors you used (except the too light blue-ish dress), but most for the mood you captured here. The dreamy expression on the faces makes it even better.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    A day for some street photography. This is one of the photo's from a day I went out to catch some street photo's. For me, the D600 with the 50mm f/1.8 is a good tool for that. Fire away and don't hold back.

Streetshots-9004.jpg
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @heartyfisher 2 girls back to back blended in the background as a watercolor painting, waves on the left, all very relaxed. I like it for the colors you used (except the too light blue-ish dress), but most for the mood you captured here. The dreamy expression on the faces makes it even better.
    Thanks for that .. I will see about toning down the bright dress colour.

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @elopez95

Welcome to NRF.

Here is what I might do with the image you presented. IMO the subject was the model and mine entrance. Also, a lot of tonal changes were made to bring out what I thought was more pleasing. In the actual shoot, I would have moved the camera up and included the pond, or cropped in, or included the feet, a lot of possibilities. The advantage of digital is we can shoot 20 variations of a scene and edit later.

Guest_Image_elopez95_02.25.14
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2014
    I am not good at street well i thought i was ok till i met this guy (Benizi Santamaria) he shoots the same streets where I walk daily but his photos are just incredible .. now I am just trying to improve.

check out some of his pics http://bendeasy.smugmug.com/Steet-Photography/Street-in-Colour/i-VpvJVGM

@ton re your image.. though I am not really qualified .. I would say that the image is missing a clear idea or feeling or message.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @ton nice catch with the girl on the guys rear. what f/stop did you use? the girl in the midle front seems out of focus/blurry. I agree that the 50 is a good lens for street. try a 35 and see how much more you like it.

@elopez95 what @msmoto said and did looks much better.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    this is with d700 and 50 1.4g, so lots of cropping and hence, not amazing detail. lots of minor imperfections and such, but its pretty hard to get it lit evenly and then not see yourself in the reflection. i duno how they do it tbh, maybe they shoot through a one-way mirror or something ?

omega seamaster
    edited February 2014
    @heartyfisher and @Vipmediastar_JZ The subject is that couple. I used the 35mm to try once, but the 50mm prime is the street lens for me. It was f/3.2, so the foreground here is out of focus, one of the reasons for me to put it here.
    @ton no prob just wondering. I love street yet im not good at it yet. I try to shoot at f/8 mostly because im doing buildings and people, it depends what i see while im walking. I do put it at 2.8/f4 if the moment serves me or if i have time.

I like the composition but but if the foreground people were not there it would be more striking. Good choice on BnW

I did a crop on my phone using snapseed The result was a portrait crop with the couple in the background. To me it looks better but overall I like the original landcape comp.

I hear you on the 50mm for a street lens. I also prefer 85mm and im using the 70-200 recently.
  • That is what I always did, I 'am used to it. A 50mm rangefinder. For a lot of years I had a Pentax ME super with a 50mm lens and a 125mm lens for portrait, that was it. It is a kind of old school street photography. You set it on a distance, f/2.8 to f/5.6 or so and on manual. 4 days later you saw your photo's. Normally your subject sharp in the foreground and you never crop.

There is a lot more possible now, last year in Antwerp I used also the 70-200mm.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    @mikep good capture!

Some critique:

- The picture is not as sharp as it can be
    - The "second" hand is off the tick mark
    - The picture is a bit too "flat". Needs more definite highlights and shadows (even reflections!) to accentuate the 3D shape of the watch. The rim and face of the watch is too evenly lit.
    - The colors are very muted, it almost looks desaturated, or like an overexposed picture that was brought back down in post. A "Seamaster" should have a beautiful deep blue color to it.

Check out this video if you haven't seen it:

Inspired by @ton do post some street for critique

I spotted him from across the street. I took a few shots and this is the one I liked. Cropped and edited in LR. I found a new tool in LR when you are in the crop section click on the O on the keyboard. This helped re-compose the crop and like it better. what do you guys think?
    d800-70-200 200mm/f4

Classics
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2014
    I like almost everything about the photo. A little more space in front of the subject might improve it. Also, it would be nice if the subjects eyes were not in the shadow of the hat. Kind of tricky to get for a shot like this.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Ok, while we are on Street Photography, I would appreciate feedback on this one.

_DSC7285.jpg

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G, ISO 6400, 85mm, f/4.5, 1/400 sec
    @WestEndBoy I like the comp, the look in her face and hair work for me. The bokeh is nice but the orange on behind her head might be too bright. Otherwise great job.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited February 2014
    @WestEndBoy I would have composed her a bit differently, maybe a bit higher in the frame (or pull back a bit) to capture more of her torso. Especially because she's wearing black, her figure looks a bit shapeless in this picture. Also I wish it was sharper (especially her eyes). Beautiful light.
    Post edited by Ade on
    edited February 2014
    @WestEndBoy Did you try black and white? No distracting colors. You see these kind of expression a lot on the street, I mean, looking at nothing, all by yourself and not aware of the photographer.

The tradition of street photography was that it always was in black and white, done with a rangefinder preferably a Leica. Fortunately color comes in, see the link Hearty gave, great color street photo's.
    For me street photography is frustrating, due to the moments I just missed (the most)
    edited February 2014
    @Vipmediastar_JZ That's a nice street photo for me, a determined, old fashioned guy. The timing is what it does, maybe a small slice from the right to get rid of the black piece of coat. The isolation is just enough, if you had used f/8 here, he had another guy on his shoulder, now he is separated.

The fun is, it don't has to be perfect.