Critique My Image

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    How about this (old) one, heavily cropped in this case.

Lente-1061.jpg

Nikon D300, 50mm f/1.4, ISO 200, f/8 snapshot
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Shooting watches is like shooting cars….we set up the reflections to our liking. In any subject which is highly reflective the same rule applies. One moves around a lot of light and dark cards, almost exactly like seen in the video.

The street shots….love 'em. Vipmediastar_JZ, I might have given more space on the subject right, less on subject left. WestEndBoy the opposite…more room on subject left…. but cropping after the fact is really nonsense as I have no idea what you have to work with. I like to crop using the rule of thirds. Both a these images are superb.

Ton, love the "snapshot"….of course a bit closer would be nice, but I suspect you grabbed this before you could move in…guessing.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2014
    Benizi's my mentor / kungfu master for street .. he posts images just about every day and each of them are head and shoulders better than mine.. no I feel like a baby midget next to his skills ... and he is such a nice chap !!

see this posted this week ...

photo by benizi santamaria
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    _DSC7285.jpg

OK, I tried the black and white and I left more on the subject's left. Not sure I like the sign though. I wish it was sharper too, but at ISO 6400, that is about the best that could be done, even with the 85mm 1.4G. She was only about 7 or 8 feet away from me too, so I could not get more of her.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @msmoto I will recompose and go back to the thirds. After I posted I played with it again and I can remove the black part on the right side. On the left I just have dirty snow slush but I think I can manage to get a better composition. I'll try it tonight.

@WestEndBoy much better bnw. The sign does distract a bit but I like this version better.

@ton I like the moment of the couple. I like the comp too. great job.

Too bad we have another cold week. i cant wait to releive my stress by doing street work the stress myself finding time to edit lol
  • I suspect you grabbed this before you could move in…guessing.
    That's a good guess, but you have to take the shot first and see what is possible later.
    It is different now digital, then whith a roll of 36 :) We can do it now.

Question, I 'am a big fan of your - family of men -, do you ask the people to pose for you? It is a kind of street photography too.
    One of the reasons for using the 70-200 for architectural was to get certain angles of view that I couldn't with wide or 85mm.

So far what do you think for this lined up shot. Lens correction was applied in LR.
    d800-70-200 125mm f/8

Lined up
  • elopez95elopez95 Posts: 37Member
    Thank you very much for the input on my last photograph! On this one I couldn't decide whether or not to crop out some of the left side as I somewhat enjoyed the background. I appreciate the advice!
    DSC_1398.jpg
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited February 2014
    @ elopez95, lovely photo. I like environment in location photos if it's not a headshot. So, for this photo I'd leave in the background. It's a part of the story.
    In terms of editing, here's what I'd consider: You see that patch of light above the horse's head? ... It sort of blends into the light ON its head. Now look at the patch of light above the subject's head...yet her head seems to be in a bit of shadow. What I'd do in post processing is drag a mild bit of exposure brightening diagonally across her face and chest to bring her out a bit. That brightening would also blend into the light that is already behind her head and right shoulder. I think that'll draw attention to her even more.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    @vip - I think I understand what you're getting at but I think you should have gone a bit further to arrive at the destination you were shooting for.

- By shooting black and white you've forgone color as a method of trapping the brain, as it were, instead relying on geometric shapes. There are many strong vertical lines in the image. In my opinion the tops of the buildings add little to the image because they break the continuity of the lines (as does the sky), but not in a way that balances the lines. The result is the crop seems off somehow; incongruous. I would ditch the tops of the buildings and the sky and focus on the symmetry of lines, which leads me to:

- An advantage to using a long lens for architecture in addition to angle of view is the compression effect it creates. While there is some compression in this image, I would have tried going the full 200mm (or beyond with a TC) to maximize it. This would have brought the strong vertical lines in all three buildings closer together, and presented a scene not normally visible to the human eye. And:

- The angle of view you've chosen, and the crop/framing, don't really support the strong vertical lines in the image. The lines are on an angle, giving the impression they are closer to the camera on the bottom of the image than at the top. I would suggest simplifying the perception of the lines by shooting from a higher vantage point, creating close to perfect vertical lines, perpendicular to the eye, resulting in a stronger presentation of depth. Alternately, completely change the perspective of the image and shoot the vertical lines from below, so they are leading - but that would render a much changed result. And finally,

- Cropping the buildings lower below the shadow line would have given less dynamic range for the camera to meter. That would mean more shadow detail and less black without having to artificially boost the shadows in post.

Cheers.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    @Ton

My street photos are done during a conversation/interaction with the subject. I usually ask permission, confirm I am going to give them something, then shoot….I do not recall having given directions very often. I give them $3.00 usually…

My conversations are about asking them how things are going, how their job is..and I often explain my perception of the process of asking for donations is what they do for a living and I consider this their job. During the entire process I am also reading the subject to make certain there is not some change in them which could suggest a risk for me.

Must be time to go grab some more…..

@WestEndBoy

I like the B & W, but I think you were correct in the first crop… see, what do I know?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2014
    @Elvishefer thanks for such detailed reply.
    I cropped the image on my phone using the app snapseed and the lines does transform the image. The crop is now in landscape (I'll re-edit at home later).

I was aiming for lining up the buildings. I been lining them up and other buildings for the last three months with my eyes and looking at different views that my lens from 24 thru 85 wouldn't be able to get.

your CC will help me on my next walkabout. I will keep your advice in mind.

Usually there are power lines or a building that blocks a view but I will try harder with this lens as it does get heavy trying to compose but I will bring the tripod once it warms up.

There is a story about that block that another photographer told me about. It has everything to do with positions of the buildings and the light and why the architects chosed the designs in that block area, however he was refering to the block where I was standing. I will shoot that side of the street next.

Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Edgy self portrait. Trying a light set up for a portrait session next week. What's good, what's not good?

BWtest2
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I like it a lot.

But also there's a feeling of empty space behind you to the background. It's like you're floating in the foreground. Maybe that is part of the edgy effect you're looking for? I might experiment with a longer focal length to compress the background a bit (but step back if there's enough room, to preserve the wide viewpoint). Also maybe a more open aperture.

Is that a light stand in the background?
  • GrowlerGrowler Posts: 4Member
    I took this shot the day of the Feb 22nd 2011, just after a massive EQ destroyed my city. You can't really see in the small version of the photo, but this church is cracked, windows broken, top of the cross fell off and is on a lean. This Church is still damaged and waiting the fates of insurance etc 3 years later.

Was a very dark afternoon and the sun peeped through as I happened to be stuck in traffic. So i climbed on top of my car and got this. I really love it, the erie feeling to what is a historical day for my country.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Looks like image has been over-sharpened, or HDRed, due to the bright glow around the tower.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited February 2014
    Last year in March when I was trying out the D800 and 24-70 This was shot at 70mm from above the rink.
    Maybe this year once it warms up a bit I can try it again with the 70-200

70mm 2.8 iso 100 1/5000 cropped to remove people

Skater
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    @Msmoto That's the way you do it, contact is very important, Yeah grab more.

@Vip You better warm up for more, this is a good one. The composition is good, the expression on her face, practice very serious, good choice B&W. unbelievable that there is still some movement with 1/5000, that is good, I prefer movement in this kind of photo's, but you need an ND filter in this case, if you want to keep f/2.8. The shadows from the other people are distracting, Try in your LR 5 the spot removal tool, it is a good content aware removal tool now, as you know. In PS, an even a better content aware removal tool.

Some idea's when you go back, grab some on other times of the day, you can experiment with longer shadows. or movement is also fun. Not easy this black and white. Sometimes I put my LCD on monochrome, if I want B&W just for the feel, you make color anyway.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Thank you Vipmediastar_JZ, Msmoto and Ton for you comments on my previous image.

Here it another one of my son that I would appreciate a critique on.

_DSC1016.jpg
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    Please critique this photograph.

DSC_1443
    Hi Guys, There are a number of forums that i go to which have critique sections like this. and the guidelines usually are that when you post your images for critique you also post some background info(gear settings,exif, lighting issues croping/processing etc) and your own critique and thoughts. This will allow a better and more focused response that will be more helpful to the OP and the forum..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited March 2014
    @ WestEndBoy lovely expression and image.. The top bits of textures and colours are nice but I feel there is too much space and the textures pull attention away from the face but when the eye gets there there is nothing to see... I would crop some of the top part out(about 1/2 way between the edge of the frame and the top of his head) which should bring attention back to the face... nice cozy processing.. what did you do :-)

@ WestEndBoy lovely expression and image.. The top bits of textures and colours are nice but I feel there is too much space and the textures pull attention away from the face but when the eye gets there there is nothing to see... I would crop some of the top part out(about 1/2 way between the edge of the frame and the top of his head) which should bring attention back to the face... nice cozy processing.. what did you do :-)
    I did not do any processing. It is straight out of the camera with available light. I took about 25 images and this was the one with the best lighting on his face.
    edited March 2014
    @ben_dmb : cute bird ! :-) the light and high key effect is nice (was that done on purpose?) but it does seem a quite bit over exposed (1 maybe 2 stops over) .. there is a lot of overblown areas on the branches and on the feathers...

edited March 2014
    Im also putting a watch here for critique.
    Nikon D7000 Sigma 150mm macro.
    I believe I was testing out the Beauty Dish or I just wanted a photo of my watch.
    I forgot to get exif info. Currently Im setting up my mac from scratch

Bulova