Critique My Image

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2014
    @WestEndBoy

The effect you were looking for is what would determine any critique I might have. Maybe having the light more on the eyes, as the eyes and lips determine our face…. but, it is nice…. possibly crop a bit tighter?

@ben_dmb

I think I would be making the color warmer, and darkening the branches so as to pull the bird forward… only suggestions…

@Vipmediastar_JZ
    If the watch is black, the lights are fine, but I might have used a background so as to separate the object from the background. Sometimes having a reflection in the bezel will define it better….Ade posted a nice video earlier in the thread with some suggestions for shooting a watch.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    thanks @msmoto i missed the video and ill check it out. The watch is black and white. After I see the video I'll give it another try.
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    So, I listened, and this is the result

DSC_1443

Opinions?
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Much nicer, ben_dmb! I might even add a touch of vignette.
    Vignette added with Perfect Effect 8

DSC_1443
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    @WestEndBoy

The effect you were looking for is what would determine any critique I might have. Maybe having the light more on the eyes, as the eyes and lips determine our face…. but, it is nice…. possibly crop a bit tighter?
    Thanks for the input. I was working with available light and this is the shot out of several that had the most light on his face. I might have added some if I could. I have been upgrading my gear to make that easier.

I tried cropping, but I love the background so much that I can't seem to part with it..........

ben_dumb, the vignetting looks good.

• JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Vignette added with Perfect Effect 8

@ben
    There are always big discussion about how much beautification on a wildlife photo is allowed. I am not a purist, but I think it is good if one can see if it is a photo shot in a zoo or in the wild.

Your image has the problem, that there are many tree branches distracting the viewers eye. Vignetting, like you did, is one way to deal with it. For your image though I probably would have used the dodge and burn method in lightroom or (even better) photoshop.
    Make all the very bright branches darker, so that essentially the brightest object in your image is the bird itself.

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Just drop the exposure 1-2 stops and brush just the bird back in at the original exposure and see how that looks. Season to taste.
    Always learning.
    @ben_dmb

I like the overall direction and vision.

When looking at the image in large size (on Flickr), some flaws become visible. E.g, one can see a dark outline around the bird which wasn't in the original picture and doesn't blend well with the bird's feathers. Also there are some distracting elements (e.g., the thin bright line right above the bird's head) which could be cleaned up, and some other artifacts which may be there naturally or might be the result of flare.

This is where some more careful / tedious / advanced photoshopping might pay off -- but that may or may not be your cup of tea.
    I'm not quite there wtith my skills.
    What software are you using to edit? You might be able to get close to the results you want using only global adjustments (exposure, contrast or curves, color balance & vignette) and avoid tedious dodging/burning/brushing, etc.
    Well, first off, these shots were taken through a 3 pane glass, hence the flare ( reflections) . For editing I use Aperture. Secondly, right now my mind is in the "other part of the world" and I kind of lost focus for the moment. I will try to get back to this picture in a day or two and do some better editing.

I really appreciate everybody's input and critique. This is better than expected for me, I am learning a lot from you guys, and your comments are welcome.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    had another go at a watch today, whereas the last one was lit from either side, this one was lit from above and below. its only after in post you notice the tiny imperfections and bad reflections, hopefully next time will be better

seiko 5
    @mikep

This is about perfect….. for advertising, one may want to get more drama, but as I see it, this is an excellent product shot...
    Msmoto, mod
    @mikep looks nice. I can't wait to give mine a try again
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    wow i was expecting critiques and got compliments, so thanks. there is a weird white shadow from a card that was in front of it on the underside, so there are improvements to be made for sure .....

hopefully i can get done what i need to with my nifty fifty rather than having to buy that new lens i have been thinking about (85 pce) .... we shall see
  • SilenceBrokenTTSilenceBrokenTT Posts: 12Member
    D7000 Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 @ f/2.8 ISO 100 1/250th
    D7000, D3100; Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8; SB-910, MB-D11, AlienBee 800
  • elopez95elopez95 Posts: 37Member
    Decided to take on the task of photographing one of my four stubborn huskies today. The results were better than expected.
    DSC_2065.jpg
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Very nice image Elopez95. Visually quite striking. If you can get the legs back, I would do that. I would also level it.

SilenceBrokenTT. You could level that one slightly, but I would find it hard to improve on. I like the setting and cropping would take away from that.
    edited March 2014
    A year later from the previous pic. I braved the 20 degree weather and decided to do a power walk to millennium park. I shot about 1 story high from the rink. I cropped the photo and carefully avoided shadows as much as possible from other skaters. I talked to him afterwards and he told me he was from Vietnam.
    D800 70-200 140mm f2.8 1/5000 iso 100.

Pointy

@SilenceBrokenTT try bringing the highlights slightly down on the shoes maybe the dots will show up better with added texture to that area.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    @Vipmediastar_JZ

It is very difficult to critique a shot like your skater. The subject is very difficult, shade on white ice…. And, we do not know what the subject was capable of doing. From this angle I would like to see him in the middle of a flying spin, off the ice, so his shadow is not connected!
    Msmoto, mod
  • SilenceBrokenTTSilenceBrokenTT Posts: 12Member
    Thanks for the tips :) Didn't even think about bringing highlights down on the shoes, those things were pretty bright.
    D7000, D3100; Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8; SB-910, MB-D11, AlienBee 800
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    edited March 2014
    Comments?

600_1775b_pp

D600, 85mm f1.8, f8, ISO 100, two softboxes.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @ donaldejose, theres lots of good in this photo, her look, smile, the angle at which you photographed her are all excellent. The only things I'd experiment on: the crop - I'd like to see the crop just below the front shoulder just to give the head a little more of a base to sit on. The eyes - if you whitened them in post, perhaps pull back a little on that. The added lower eyelashes... that's a tough technique to master. I'm a nit picker though...please excuse me.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL