The next NRF members "getogether"…...

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    It may be that be that I will be traveling in a trailer over the next few years and that Triple D and Glacier are very definitely on my plans. From my perspective we can have a get together anywhere at any time, of any NRF folks who want to gather. Once a year we will no doubt try to get all the mods and Administrator together as we have done twice so far.

I wonder how Texas is during the early spring…. LOL Or New Orleans…. Actually, some of the hot venues when off season can be had for deep discounts on the motel rooms. More to be disclosed…. ;)
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am very interested in Glacier and the Triple D. Have not been to Glacier in 20 years.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I'm considering a driveabout in September. I drive somewhere, pickup wife that flies in, drive for a week, put her back on a plane and I drive home. She only has one week of vacation left. I'm thinking Denver to Reno. I'm open to elsewhere if it happens in September. 2nd choice is South Dakota, 3rd Montana.

framer
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    I'm considering a driveabout in September. I drive somewhere, pickup wife that flies in, drive for a week, put her back on a plane and I drive home. She only has one week of vacation left. I'm thinking Denver to Reno. I'm open to elsewhere if it happens in September. 2nd choice is South Dakota, 3rd Montana.

framer
    If you are considering Denver, don't think twice!

I just moved here from Pennsylvania and I can't begin to tell you all of the photo opportunities.. I've met quite a few professional photographers and have picked up on some awesome animal photography locations. I've personally been chasing Moose and Elk. Unfortunately, my computer was stolen in a cross country move.. So I can't show you my photos at this time. If you are in and around Denver, make sure you check out Rocky Mountain national park. The landscapes, waterfalls and wildlife are hard to describe in words! :)

Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • YetibuddhaYetibuddha Posts: 388Member
    There has been some talk about Glacier and the Triple D in Montana the first part of September. Is there still interest?
    edited July 2014
    My plans are contingent on my disposal of certain properties and this has not happened as of yet. Thus, no travel to Glacier this year for me. As it is about 2400 miles, this is eight days of traveling for the round trip. Fun, but not something I can do this year.

And, as you know well, Glacier, in particular, Going to the Sun Road, opens late and closes early due to the unpredictable weather conditions.I think from June 20 to September 20 is roughly the season.

Of course, there is always a possibility of a winter shoot at Triple D, but this is highly specialized and maybe not for everyone.

Thus, no plans at present for this exciting, but for many, remote venue. More to come….
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    More to come….. I think what I will do in 2015 is to plan out some venues where i will be for several days and maybe we can have some more regional "get togethers".

A few that have been given are St Augustine, Florida, where I would no doubt be in my Airstream in a campground.
    The Black Hills of South Dakota and Badlands are also of interest as the morning and evening shoots in the Badlands are rather unique.
    While Route 66 offers many nice images, this may be a bit difficult unless we can specify an area with other desirable shoots.
    For those who are interested in motorsports, I will no doubt be at some road course venues and we could gather for a session of chit chat if anyone has an interest.

Just a note to keep the thread up to date….. ;;)
    Msmoto, mod
    MsMoto, like the regional get together idea.

The wife and I are interested in South Dakota, Badlands, and the wildlife in that area. Our relatives who make 3 to 4 trips there a year always come back with discussions of the 1,000 of animals they see; buffalo, elk, etc.

Knowing you like motorsports, keep us in mind if you come to Ekhart Lake, WI. We would be happy to meet up with you and provide a list of other Wisconsin photo opportunities such as Devils Lake, and other state parks.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I can second New Orleans during the mardi grass :)
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited November 2014
    I am seriously wanting to go to Iceland in the spring/summer. Having already been there once I know it is fantastic.

Though everyone thinks it must be super expensive, it can be done on the cheap; using B&Bs, a decent rental car, and not eating at the touristy restaurants. Airtravel is easily booked, Icelandair services Europe and The US, and it would be an adventure as well.

I will enjoy organising it, and we could meet up in Reykjavik for a week's worth of lifetime experiences?
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    Just an FYI….World of Outlaws is in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA, today, Friday, and Saturday. If anyone is there from NRF, give me a PM and I have an espresso machine in my Airstream…..LOL

As to some of the other venues……they all sound great. But, then again, I can go to a flea market and enjoy shooting photos…..
    Msmoto, mod
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    I can second New Orleans during the mardi grass :)
    Funny thing; that *was* on my bucket list. I was just in NOLA for a week and talked to a few photogs I ran into along the way.
    One does weddings and was scouting locations and the others sold their shots at the French Market. They were all locals. Is carrying higher end gear an invite for people to chat you up? Dunno, but I like it. ;) When I asked where were good places to shoot during Mardi Gras, they all mentioned somewhere other than NOLA. :O I got friendly with the some of the hotel staff and they cringed at the very mention. Okay, I can see it. Try driving in Manhattan during the marathon.
    New Orleans... but not during the Mardi Gras.....the French Quarter and area have many photo ops...especially when two or three go together for personal security.
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Iceland coming up...

We are a couple of guys now seriously planning a trip to Iceland. We will fly into Reykjavik from Greenland and Denmark, stay in B&Bs, and if possible take one or two of the smaller trips from this company; https://iceland-photo-tours.com

For some of the works of the leading photographer in the company see http://www.iuriebelegurschi.com/Iceland/

Question is how many we will be, and when we go?
    You guys have a great time. I think anyone wanting to visit Iceland, this may be one of the most beautiful photo venues I can think of.... but, maybe not for old ladies.....LOL. Maine was cold and windy enough for me.
    Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited December 2014
    NOLA for New Years and the Rose Bowl! Roll Tide!
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    NOLA for New Years and the Rose Bowl! Roll Tide!
    Isn't Alabama playing in the Sugar Bowl? FSU and Oregon are in the Rose Bowl.
    Go Bucks!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, I was thinking NOLA, Sugar Bowl and wrote rose.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Sorry, I was thinking NOLA, Sugar Bowl and wrote rose.
    Not a problem. Your going to laugh, I am a big Buckeye fan but have my money on #1 Alabama. I can easily separate my heart from reasoning on sports teams. It was so easy to take OSU and the points.
    My daughter went to Alabama, my wife went to Oregon. I'm thinking maybe I should sit this one out. :)
    My daughter went to Alabama, my wife went to Oregon. I'm thinking maybe I should sit this one out. :)
    Oh yea. My prediction is Alabama to play Oregon for the National Championship on January 12th.
    I would not get between these two ladies. That should make an interesting evening. :))
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Well ladies & gents, I just booked my first ever trip to Europe as an adult. Last time was in 1977. Will be going to Hungary and Poland for sure...after all I got to see my buddy Adamz. Will be traveling between Jan 20 to Feb 11th, 2015. The entire area is all new to me so I'm open to all ideas. If anyone is within that region and would like to meet, plz let me know and hopefully we can make it happen.

Once, I get back I will start planing for our 2015 Annual Gathering. I have a few places in mind and will fill you all in soon.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Golf007sd: I hope you like the cold :-)
    I guess this means I have to spend more time here, huh? :))

As to some get together ideas, bring it on Ali....
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    ali - the house is ready for you :) and the list of photo opportunities is growing. can't wait to see you!!
This discussion has been closed.