What is next for Nikon?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    And of course @retread, you could use that D810 to shoot DX shots like @MsMoto does. That would give you nice reach with your longer lenses.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    That would work but really don't think I want to spend enough to back up one D810 with another. Having a ball teaching grandkids and the DX will be a little smaller for there hands. Even with the heavy glass. Ages from 7 to 14.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    I can see the point of having a D810 and one of the existing Dx cameras eg a D7100 . can't see the point of a D810 and a camera that does not exist
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If I were to get them today that is what it would be but I have more time than money so have to be patient anyway so can wait. Looking at other lenses also so can wait and see what happens.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Hopefully Nikon is developing a real Video Recorder like Canon has.
    That would work but really don't think I want to spend enough to back up one D810 with another. Having a ball teaching grandkids and the DX will be a little smaller for there hands. Even with the heavy glass. Ages from 7 to 14.
    Kids are never to young to learn about using a camera. Nice age group to learn photography.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Kids are never to young to learn about using a camera. Nice age group to learn photography.
    So true, my grandson is 7 years old and he really enjoys shooting pictures.
    Last Saturday we asked him to take a picture of the family adults together and he said he would if he could take one of us making faces, here it is! LOL I'm on the left, one with the beer gut!

EthanSHot

• CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    The old 55-200mm VR kit lens is long overdue for a redo. Nikon should make one that's as sharp, light and compact as the new 18-55 VR II kit lens. Nikon should also do a 10-18 VR and a new, faster focusing 55-300 to counter Canon: those guys are churning ever sharper, quicker and quieter plastic fantastic lenses for their crop sensor cameras with their new STM motors, they now have new 10-18, 18-55, 18-135 and 55-250 zooms plus a new 24 f/2.8 prime, while Nikon's only come out with the new 18-55 and 18-140 still using their old noisy (very noisy and slow in the case of the 18-55) motors. This is a really sad situation: Canon is making great, sharp lenses but have no bodies to take maximum advantage of them (the 7D MkII doesn't count: it's gonna cost way too much and is too heavy to make the best of their light, plastic fantastic lenses) while Nikon is making great bodies but are stuck with blurry and noisy lenses designed at the beginning of the DSLR era. Hope Nikon is not simply giving up on the DX costumer: there is a huge lot of us who don't plan on going up to FX.
    edited September 2014
    Know this, here at NRF, we have very little tolerance for those that wish to troll.
    ...while Nikon is making great bodies but are stuck with blurry and noisy lenses designed at the beginning of the DSLR era..
    with statements like the above why is this guy still about?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    LOL ! the 18-140 is the "kit" super zoom that is rated best in its class by DXO and by my experience it is true I have posted my review here on this forum. LOL ! @CaMeRaQuEsT There are so many unsubstantiated false statements in your little post! are you a dishonourable unethical troll or ... an ignorant fool. I think we can forgive ignorance if you are willing to be educated.

as I count it "strike 2"
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Know this, here at NRF, we have very little tolerance for those that wish to troll.
    ...while Nikon is making great bodies but are stuck with blurry and noisy lenses designed at the beginning of the DSLR era..
    with statements like the above why is this guy still about?

If you care, please read and assimilate my statements wholly and carefully and don't jump into quick conclusions. I own a 55-200 VR and, other than it being very lightweight and compact, there is not much else going for it: it is a blurry lens off center, it has a very noisy focusing motor and it is slow to acquire focus, but then what can you expect for a lens that's being sold for less than a hundred bucks and its design is almost 10 years old, right? What happens is that for that same hundred bucks Nikon is now shelling out a redesigned, state of the art, sharper, even lighter and extremely compact 11-55 VR II that's more in tune with the current generation of 24MP DX sensors and I am now wishing that Nikon does the same for their 55-200 VR because I had to buy a 70-300 VR to get the sharpness and focusing speed that I need but it is a heavy FX lens and I'll rather carry a lightweight plastic fantastic 55-200 VR II if it was at least sharper. Also, please go out and try any Canon lens with STM and see for yourself how quiet and fast they are, Nikon just doesn't have anything similar, and Canon has basically revamped their whole line of crop sensor lenses these past 2 years around STM and new, sharper optics, even bringing out a few new, very useful lenses with the technology: for example Nikon doesn't have a 22-24mm prime lens for DX (equivalent to a 35mm for FX), which I believe is the most useful general purpose prime lens of them all (I used only a Nikon E 35mm f/2.5 for almost 20 years with my F3 and never felt wanting) and Canon has now 2 out, one for their EF-S mount and one for their EF-M mount, meanwhile Nikon expects you to buy the film era 24mm D that can't even autofocus with the cheaper, motorless bodies. Continued...
    edited September 2014
    Also, please go out and try any Canon lens with STM and see for yourself how quiet and fast they are,
    Not really possible as I only have Nikon bodies

I do however often work with a Canon user, in some situations his gear is better than mine, in others mine better than his

The statement Nikon are making blurry and noisy lenses would indicate you have not tried the New Nikon 80-400mm VR AF-S Yes the old Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR was slow noisy and not very sharp But the latest offerings from Nikon are gobsmacking amazing

I agree Nikon has a poor selection of DX lenses which is why I believe they are trying to encourage serious photographers to use full frame with Cameras such as the D750

LOL ! the 18-140 is the "kit" super zoom that is rated best in its class by DXO and by my experience it is true I have posted my review here on this forum. LOL ! @CaMeRaQuEsT There are so many unsubstantiated false statements in your little post! are you a dishonourable unethical troll or ... an ignorant fool. I think we can forgive ignorance if you are willing to be educated.

as I count it "strike 2"
    If you read carefully, in my original comment I do single out the 11-55 VR II and the 18-140 VR as Nikon's newest DX lenses and say that they both are still using relatively noisy motors compared to the almost silent STM from Canon, I don't say that they are not sharp lenses. I do also browse DXOmark before deciding on a lens to buy and I don't see any Nikkor DX lenses other than the 10-24 (which I own), the 18-105 VR, the 18-140 VR (both of which I'm considering buying one out) and the 35 (I've never liked 50mm equivalent lenses), all of them no older than 5 years, that resolve at least 11 perceived megapixels with any 24MP DX body combination. Worse, both of their "premium" DX offerings, the 16-85 VR and the 17-55, are priced out of the stratosphere and can't resolve half the potential of the 24 MP DX sensors.

Not really possible as I only have Nikon bodies

I do however often work with a Canon user, in some situations his gear is better than mine, in others mine better than his

The statement Nikon are making blurry and noisy lenses would indicate you have not tried the New Nikon 80-400mm VR AF-S Yes the old Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR was slow noisy and not very sharp But the latest offerings from Nikon are gobsmacking amazing

I agree Nikon has a poor selection of DX lenses which is why I believe they are trying to encourage serious photographers to use full frame with Cameras such as the D750

Just grab any Canon body with a STM kit lens at any store and try autofocusing it: you'll probably hear nothing at all and wonder if it is actually focusing. These STM lenses are Just the best companions to a nice video capable DSLR, but then Canon doesn't make any nice video capable crop sensor bodies other than the new and sobering priced 7D MkII, all the others output full of moiré, jaggies and false colors.

I should have added "DX lenses" in my so often quoted statement, but yes, that's the point I'm leading to: I really hope that Nikon is not making all these great 24MP DX bodies with great video capabilities for us all to buy and then push us up to FX by limiting the range of nice and sharp DX lenses available. I really don't care about heavy super zooms (18-200 and 18-300 ranges) that are full of distortion and aberration and that are just not sharp enough to do the 24MP DX sensors justice, and what's the point of making featherweight bodies to then couple them with heavy FX lenses? Yesterday I was taking some photos and videos with my D3300 coupled with the 70-300 VR inside my kid's school gym and at one point my arms started shaking (the lens' VR worked flawlessly to isolate that) because I was getting tired of trying to keep a steady hold for the 5+ minutes duration of the video shoot and I couldn't use a monopod, much less a tripod, because I had to keep moving around and changing angles, going from overhead to eye level to waist level all on the same single shot and I purposely didn't use the 55-200 VR because last time I used it in the same venue and all my videos came out blurry off center even though I was using a tripod on that occasion.
    edited September 2014
    <

Just grab any Canon body with a STM kit lens at any store and try autofocusing it: you'll probably hear nothing at all and wonder if it is actually focusing. These STM lenses are Just the best companions to a nice video capable DSLR, n.
    Being fairly deaf I very sure, I will hear nothing :)

In the days of 16mm film I was trained to use a steenbeck, but I was pretty hopeless at editing; so I have never tried to shoot video
    So true, my grandson is 7 years old and he really enjoys shooting pictures.
    Last Saturday we asked him to take a picture of the family adults together and he said he would if he could take one of us making faces, here it is! LOL I'm on the left, one with the beer gut!

EthanSHot
    So cool...the picture...not the beer gut. :D Just kidding. Great picture.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm always posting about features of Canon gear and the lens range they have - does that make me a troll? I need to know so I can put my house on the market and buy a bridge to live under.. :))

Just to balance it, my mate with the canon 7D has a theory - remember this is HIS theory - that Canon will not bring out a high res camera a la D800/E/10 because it will totally destroy the credibility of a lot of their lenses, He reckons Canon normal and wide zooms are utter sh*t and will not touch them anymore. I have certainly never seen CA on any Nikon lens I've owned like I have on his Canon offerings.

As to noisy motors - your priorities are different to mine. So long as it focuses fast and has great IQ, I can live with a little noise. Get yourself an old 'D' type lens like my 60 macro - now that's noisy! Great IQ though.
    Always learning.
    I do actually own the complete Canon EOS M system, well at least the parts that are cheaply available to buy on this hemisphere, so I am actually really a troll (and a cheap one) and do live under a bridge. ;)

From what I see, by revamping their whole EF-S lineup of lenses this couple of years and bringing out the 7D MkII, Canon is reassuring their crop sensor customers that they are being taken care of (after 5 long years of neglect, I must add) as a unique market segment that has its particular needs that don't necessarily mix with those of the FF segment and whose customers are not all interested in forking over the big $$$$ to upgrade to FF; I am sure that Nikon is watching Canon's every steps in the crop sensor market and will react accordingly: the huge cry for a D300S replacement from so many faithful pro DX body owners, coupled with how well the market's reaction to the 7D MkII has been, will definitely push Nikon into line: the DSLR market is ever shrinking and they need to sell to as many customers as they can to squeeze every last drop of juice they can from their factory investment base, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Nikon's next barrage of new DX lenses to revamp a lineup which, in some instances, are really long overdue.

As of Canon's unsharp-masked-from-the-factory FF lenses, well they are revamping them, too, to catch up to Nikon's sharp FF lenses, I hear that they are doing so to prepare the market for their next 45MP 5DMkIV, their own D810 killer.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    @CaMeRaQuEsT I get that you cant afford better lenses so, save for them. I saved for 8 months to get the new Nikon 80-400 AF-S. Just save and get what you need or want. Nikon makes lots of very good lenses that go on crop bodies. Just look at P.A.D... :-B
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    We all know that Nikon has been neglecting DX lenses until the 18-140 and a few new lenses. And the D400 is MIA.

Maybe as suggested 2015 will be the year of the Nikon DX systems !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    It would take a mirrorless pro body to make me move (i.e. much smaller and lighter with IQ at least as good as the D4. )

I think the Sigma "art" lenses are making new standards for lens sharpness, and I hope Nikon will up the competition.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @CaMeRaQuEsT

Yes, interesting interview and like most of the Nikon talking heads, the answers are usually, "yes, this is a possibility we are looking in to". I do hope the mirrorless full frame Nikon is coming in the near future, but I was hoping for a D400 as well…. LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    @CaMeRaQuEsT

Yes, interesting interview and like most of the Nikon talking heads, the answers are usually, "yes, this is a possibility we are looking in to". I do hope the mirrorless full frame Nikon is coming in the near future, but I was hoping for a D400 as well…. LOL
    Caught me by surprise with that one Tommy. You are shooting a D800 in DX mode and I thought you would be satisfied. Does that tell us you want more fps than the D800 for your "bike" photography?? :-))
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    What's the value of a statement on another rumor site? One of the better ones, it has to be said, (Sony Alpha) but still, not that much, probably ...
    Quote: "And Yes, Canon and Nikon will offer FF mirrorless by late 2015."

Fact is that Nikon right now has an excellent line of new FX bodies that requires no updates for a long time. This leaves plenty of space and time and resources to prepare the next, huge step. Will the next year be used for the mirrorless bodies to be completed?
    It's obvious that a new line will support F-mount, but it should definitely also feature a new mount, so a few brand new lenses will probably be part of the initial announcement, and require resources to be spent during 2015.
    ........... If there's any truth in the rumor.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110