What is next for Nikon?

124»

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Photobug

Sorry to be slow about returning a comment.... what has happened is I shoot the D800E in full frame, and crop. I think I might be doing some shots this coming year, planning on the Superbikes at Road America, and may try the D800E, 400mm f.2.8, TC-20EIII combo in DX.....like how does 1200mm equivalent sound.... The critical issue will be how well the camera can focus and how well the photog can follow the subjects.... may be a comedy of errors....

Also, same combo with some birds outside my window.... and these may be very soon. As yet I have not done the AF Fine Tune on the body/lens combination, so this will have to come first.
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    Notice the main NR blog is saying Nikon is starting a new campaign to show cell phone users how they can "speak louder" and say more by using a DSLR for photos rather than a cell phone. Of course, this is obvious to us. Is Nikon's objective to "prime the pump" of FX sales? No, too expensive, to huge a leap for cell phone photographers. Nikon is "priming the pump" for DX sales next year. So expect 2015 to be "the year of DX." What DX products? Likely, a new DX compact coolpix with a variable lens, many new DX lenses (please top the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with a wider range f1.8 zoom like 18-55 or 70 f1.8), a new top of the line DX body and a new iteration of some current DX bodies. Also expect next years promotional material for new DX products to feature young people using them.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @donaldejose: If the Nikon equivalent of the Sigma actually focusses in the low lights it is usefull for, it will already be useful. My mates Sigma is relegated to manually focussed night shots now which is ridiculous for a low light lens.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    Update on my prior post: Thom Hogan reports today "the camera Nikon sent these millennials to make all these great shots? D750, 24-120mm and 70-200mm f/4 lenses, a Speedlight, and because all great stills need it, a microphone." Sort of cheating, isn't it? How many young people can be expected to leap from their cell phone to that equipment? I think it would have been better to give them a D3300 or D5300 kit and a Nikon supplied photo tutor so they could learn how to use it off Auto. Help them produce some outstanding images and videos. Certainly, the D3300 and D5300 kits are capable of that. Nikons FX products should be reserved or the follow-up campaign launched just prior to the next round of FX upgrades and that campaign should be titled "I am stepping up my images." Move young people from cell phones to DX and then from DX to FX by showing them clear differences accomplished with that equipment. But since when is marketing logical?
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    It seems like a bit of cheating, alright, but that doesn't even touch Thom's strongest point about why this campaign is a bit silly: look at the pictures on the site Nikon provides for the campaign. A 10 yr old with a cell phone could take pictures like that. So why buy a large, clunky DSLR with no facebook tie-in?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Photobug

Sorry to be slow about returning a comment.... what has happened is I shoot the D800E in full frame, and crop. I think I might be doing some shots this coming year, planning on the Superbikes at Road America, and may try the D800E, 400mm f.2.8, TC-20EIII combo in DX.....like how does 1200mm equivalent sound.... The critical issue will be how well the camera can focus and how well the photog can follow the subjects.... may be a comedy of errors....

Also, same combo with some birds outside my window.... and these may be very soon. As yet I have not done the AF Fine Tune on the body/lens combination, so this will have to come first.
    1200mm equivalent...oh my. Your right that could be a comedy of errors BUT if it works you could nail some great shots. Look forward to seeing and hearing about your results. Without the TC-20EIII the lens in crop mode there should be not problem focus tracking of BIF. If that lens + TC works that will be amazing.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited November 2014
    Notice the main NR blog is saying Nikon is starting a new campaign to show cell phone users how they can "speak louder" and say more by using a DSLR for photos rather than a cell phone. Of course, this is obvious to us. Is Nikon's objective to "prime the pump" of FX sales? No, too expensive, to huge a leap for cell phone photographers. Nikon is "priming the pump" for DX sales next year. So expect 2015 to be "the year of DX." What DX products? Likely, a new DX compact coolpix with a variable lens, many new DX lenses (please top the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with a wider range f1.8 zoom like 18-55 or 70 f1.8), a new top of the line DX body and a new iteration of some current DX bodies. Also expect next years promotional material for new DX products to feature young people using them.
    Gee...that sounds familar..."the year of DX". LoL :D =D> =))

+1 totally agree with you. There is no way people will move from cell phones to FX DSLR's. If they do a great job of Marketing with as you said with younger people in the ads and the right price points DX sales could improve. We so badly need improvements in DX lens and some new DX focal lengths. Hopefully they will put out some FX lens at 35mm and 50mm to challenge the 3rd party lens.

I watched the two videos and those are FX DSLR's. Dah! When is Nikon Marketing going to get it right?
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |