D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Nikon would be stupid not to respond to the 7D MkII, it's just a matter of when they're coming out with it.
    Isn't that what the D7xxx line if for?

A bet is being made here. If Canon makes a bet with the 7DMkII and Nikon makes a bet with a lower priced D620/D750, we will see who was right.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited September 2014
    Nikon would be stupid not to respond to the 7D MkII, it's just a matter of when they're coming out with it.
    Isn't that what the D7xxx line if for?

A bet is being made here. If Canon makes a bet with the 7DMkII and Nikon makes a bet with a lower priced D620/D750, we will see who was right.
    Not quite, the buffer is good but not as deep as the old D300s is. I would assume the next D7100 replacement to have a more pro build and a better buffer.

Honestly, I think we would have seen a D300s replacement had the earthquake and tsunami had not occurred.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I think to your point, they can just enhance the D7XXX line.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Nikon would be stupid not to respond to the 7D MkII, .
    They have, its called the D750

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    There remains room in the line up and price point range for a pro body as a DX D300s successor. The top DX now costs about $1,100 and the bottom of the FX line now costs about $1,900 for a spread of about $800. Take the "guts of the D7100, add a pro body, pro AF, large buffer, etc and you could have a D400 (or D9300 or whatever). The D750 uses a new smaller and lighter (and cheaper to build?) body construction. Perhaps that same new body construction could be used (with built in hand grip) as the top of the line Dx pro body. Pro bodies should not have to last 10 years anymore. A 4-5 year life expectancy should be fine since the technology will be sufficiently advanced every 4 to 5 years to force most pros into an upgrade anyway.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Face it folks, if there was going to be a D300s replacement, it would have been here by now. Stop beating a dead horse.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 PB_PM

Admins...isn't it time to close this forum. We have the D9300 for anyone that really wants to plead for a D300/D300s replacement. @donaldejose built a good case why thee will not be a D400/D9300. Think about it.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I wouldn't beat a horse, but I think there will be some kind of great dx camera coming up.
  • pigeyejacksnpigeyejacksn Posts: 36Member
    Yes, dead horse, but like everyone else I have to chime in with my opinion :-). I finally gave up waiting. Seeing the 750 was likely coming I sold my 18-200, 17-55 2.8 and bought a 24-70 2.8. I'm in the midst of selling of a couple of my other DX lenses now. I am happy with what the 750 has to offer and it looks to be the closest follow-up. I still grab a lot of great shots with my 300, but it's showing its age and time for me to move on. I didn't want to invest another penny in the DX format seeing as it just seems to be moving more towards consumer grade cameras and the 7100 seemed like too much of a step down. The 750 seems top of the line enthusiast, but at least I can move upward in the future if I choose. I agree with everyone above that says a D400 would have been here by now. I have kept getting excited and consequently disappointed with every D400/D9xxx rumor. I'm done with it.
    D750 w/MB-D16 Grip, D300, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, TC-17E II, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 10.5 DX, Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8, Lens Baby Composer, SB-700, Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND Filter.
    http://www.photographsbyrob.com
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited September 2014
    The thread is still active and pretty succesful, so why close it?
    If some find it no longer relevant, then simply stop reading it (and posting to it).

[Added: ]
    I'm done with it.
    [Added:] Thanks for sharing. I fully understand. When the rumor appeared, I, too, saw the D750 as the "solution", and the extra $ was there, but it's not a D620 I'm after..... which is what the D750 looks like to me.

Personally, I'd say that with the new Canon 7D2, chance of a D400 (or D9300) got up from 10% to 40%, but it's still quite low. But if I had given up, and had nothing good to say about the subject, I would leave the thread.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • pigeyejacksnpigeyejacksn Posts: 36Member
    I know what you're saying Sports. I didn't like the 610. I love my controls on the D300 and was sad that the 800 is the option to get the same control layout as the 300. But the deal breaker for me was the 51 point autofocus being placed on the 750 vs the 610. That alone to me was worth the money with the type of shooting I do. I just couldn't justify the $1000 premium on the 800. I hope it does arrive some day though. The D300 has treated me well.
    D750 w/MB-D16 Grip, D300, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, TC-17E II, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 10.5 DX, Tamron 90mm Macro f2.8, Lens Baby Composer, SB-700, Singh-Ray Galen Rowell ND Filter.
    http://www.photographsbyrob.com
    edited September 2014
    Think about this a minute. If there is no longer a market for a D400 type camera why is Cannon just now going to release their version: the 7D2? Is Cannon stupid? Just because many people here stopped waiting and purchased something else does not prove there is no longer a market.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Nikon would be stupid not to respond to the 7D MkII, .
    They have, its called the D750

One's crop frame, the other's FX...?
    Face it folks, if there was going to be a D300s replacement, it would have been here by now. Stop beating a dead horse.
    Financially it wouldn't make sense. Nikon's bread and butter is DX. If you look at their sales they depend on DX. Maybe not high end DX, but a halo camera is always welcome.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    "If you build it, he will come" Field of Dreams
    Financially it wouldn't make sense. Nikon's bread and butter is DX. If you look at their sales they depend on DX. Maybe not high end DX, but a halo camera is always welcome.
    The D7xxx line being the top of the line DX model doesn't seem to be hurting DX sales in the least. Only the over saturation of the camera market is doing that.
    edited September 2014
    Think about this a minute. If there is no longer a market for a D400 type camera why is Cannon just now going to release their version: the 7D2? Is Cannon stupid? Just because many people here stopped waiting and purchased something else does not prove there is no longer a market.
    Canon is NOT stupid. Canon has good Marketing and is going to make some money. Nikon missed the opportunity. There are some that say it's (D9300) sitting in the warehouse waiting on Canon to ship or will go into production when Canon announces. I don't believe it. Canon is going to sell lots of camera bodies and us Nikon users who moved on and are smiling with the IQ are just smiling.

We Nikon users need to STOP BEATING THE DEAD HORSE!
    Fixed typo...thanks PB_PM
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited September 2014

We Nikon users need to STOP BEATING THE DEAD HOUSE!
    I sure hope so, beating a house is painful. :))
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    You know beating a house is going to hurt your hand. LoL
    If we look at history, how often has Canon released a new type of DSLR body and Nikon doesn't reply? (in this case the type is a 10 fps, pro build, crop camera)

It's not that I am left in the dust, beating an animal or a building. I just think Nikon will reply.

If Nikon doesn't reply it may be due to some kind of internal principal desicion. It could also be that Nikon are reluctant to make two cameras at the same price point.
    Or Nikon thinks that the D7100 replacement will be more than able to handle whatever Canon comes up with.
    @PB_PM: Yes, the name of the D400 can be D7200. Or Nikon Dh as in dead horse.
    One more thing... We have been talking about a mini D4 and that is basically what Canon has done. The question is if Nikon also reads this thread :-)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    Yes there is a market for a Pro Dx but I think it is a small one
    In the UK the may local newspapers bought D300s but most of the papers have now closed or are part of a international media group
    The local full time photographers have retired

I think Nikon have made a Policy decision, that when people want to go pro or upgrade, they want them to move up to FX. This is clear from the lack of DX pro lenses
    Nikon and Canon do not have to make like for like cameras. There is room for both of them and that is the situation they will try to maintain . They will be more worried by the new players in market such as Sony

If you think the 7D MkII is better than any Camera in the Nikon range, we at NRF are not going to stop you from buying one
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited September 2014
    This thread was about the longest thread on the old Forum, and now continues the "tradition". So, we will continue to keep it alive, at least until there are 100 pages.... :-*

After all, it is about having fun, isn't it?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    The length of this thread demonstrates interest in the subject. Those who are disgusted with Nikon and with those people still believing in (the fantasy of?) a pro DX can stop reading it.
This discussion has been closed.