Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited February 2015
    OK, which models would you guys eliminate?

And if your favorite model has been eliminated by somebody, feel free to chime in.
    Sprinkle wifi in everything...
    3K series -> end the DSLR, introduce a mirrorless with an F-mount and make the price at $500.
    Remove all 5K series except the 5500.
    7100-> I would love to see all the improvements I have previously mentioned, but I have a feeling Nikon is going to piecemeal the improvements...resulting in even more crap to have to maintain for parts replacement. I think they should just leave the 7100 alone, drop the price over time and replace the 300s with the 400 to appease those who need more. A 7100S update with the Expeed updated to the new version, wifi added, and the buffer increased may be a good stop gap for a year while allowing the body to remain unchanged if they must do something.

810-> discontinue the 800/800E (I think it is already done)
    610-> discontinue and just leave the 750, basically an improved 610.
    D4s-> wait until D5.
    Df-> convert to mirrorless in step with the 3K series and shrink it down even more.
    N1-> kill all series except one J and V model. REDUCE the price. Lower the MP until Aptina can give us DR, and increase the buffer to allow for 4K video. Increase weather sealing on all models to allow for water use.
    Compact cameras, e.g. Coolpix etc. -> kill them all with fire.

Software-> purchase an App and re-purpose with remote camera controls to improve experience in iOS and android.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    OK, which models would you guys eliminate?

And if your favorite model has been eliminated by somebody, feel free to chime in.
    Keep it simply is always the answer, too many choices confuse and overwhelm consumers for the most part.

The DSLR line only needs five models:
    D3xxx (entry level)
    D7xxx (consumer/advanced amateur)
    Dxxx (Dxxx advanced amateur/semi-pro, aka D750)
    Dxxx (semi-pro/pro aka D810)
    Dx (aka D4s)

This set keeps the lineup simple and reduces the number of manufacturing and design resources required. Not to mention that it would greatly reduce the number of cameras that would need support and different repair parts. This would also make it much easier for shops and dealers to stock items, rather than having half a dozen different kits of eight plus different bodies.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    And for those of you that would basically keep the current line (modifications to current models does not count, as almost everybody will modify something), what would you add?

Hmm.....hope this does not become another D400 thread........
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yikes Ironheart! It has been a long week. I will sleep in tomorrow.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    How about something like this:
    D4s all out speed and built like a tank
    D8xx - D9xxx pro level cameras
    D7xx - D7xxx semi pro
    D6xx - D5xxx entry level
    D3xxx more of an entry point ant shoot.
    DF for the retro folks
    The should enough and covers all the bases.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,727Member
    WestEndPhoto: "not become another D400 thread?" Look at the title. What is a pro DX body other than the missing D400? Some signs suggest Nikon will produce it to compete with the Canon 7D2 as soon as they are satisfied with whatever it is they are waiting for.
    See my respone to Ironheart pointing out the same thing.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member

It does feel like Nikon waited for Canon to launch the 7D2 and have checked it out before deciding the feature set for the D400.
    Yeah I'd buy that logic.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • squoopsquoop Posts: 37Member
    How about something like this:
    D4s all out speed and built like a tank
    D8xx - D9xxx pro level cameras
    D7xx - D7xxx semi pro
    D6xx - D5xxx entry level
    D3xxx more of an entry point ant shoot.
    DF for the retro folks
    The should enough and covers all the bases.
    I think you nailed it. Finally Nikon's naming scheme makes sense to me, thank you.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015
    Maybe some new body type designations for Nikon pro-bodied cameras?

s=model focused for sports ......

st= model focused for studio .......

w = model focused for wildlife ......

b = model focused for birding

What is needed is the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT system
    but I don't think that will fit most Dx users budget

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

I think you nailed it. Finally Nikon's naming scheme makes sense to me, thank you.

You are very welcome.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited February 2015
    I had always wondered why people griped about the D7000 series not being pro. It has all the buttons and ports you would need (but a dedicated AF on and PC sync). I own a D7000 and it preforms as well as the D700 in most low light conditions, proforms AF wise just as well as the D700 with the 14-24mm, 17-25mm, & 28-70mm, in any condition including very low light....

Well last Wednesday I retired my falling apart (literally) 80-200mm with the new 70-200mm vr2 (Rebates yay!).

The preformance with the AF was night and day. The D7000 couldn't keep up! It was backfocusing, indecisicive, and just plain slow compared to the D700 with the telephoto. I suspect it isnt just mine that does it. To be fair my first shoot was a dance in a theater in Very low light with gels and all sorts of white balance throw offers, and the second shoot was motocross the next morning, so I already didn't pick optimum situations, but wow what a stark contrast. It preformed much better than my D90 or the 70D preforms with the 70-200mm USM2 but compared to the D700 (or any camera in its league) it definitely was the underpreformer.

Yep a Pro Dx is still missing
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Keep in mind that the D7100 has a much improved 51 point system borrowed from the D300s, so I suspect it would handle such situations better than the D7000.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2015
    The D7000 has had a reputation for not performing as expected .. and is known for being a bit flaky in some conditions. have you updated to the latest firmware? there was a nice improvement in one of the updates.

My D7000 performs nicely with my 70-200 F4.0 :-) but I needed to change some settings.. the recommendation suggested in the BIF thread help :-)

Back focusiing is a function of the combination of lense and camera.. You may want to send them both in to nikon to calibrate.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited February 2015
    It is funny because the D7000 just got back from its yearly checkup about 3 weeks ago and the 70-200mm was purchased a week from yesterday. While I could have sat and tried to finetune the lens in the D7000 it just surprised me just how much better the D700 preformed given this wasn't the first "pro" lens Ive used on either.

Maybe a calibration is in order. Now the D700, that is a camera that needs to go in! the meter is bad, the pentaprism has fungus, it is brassed about everywhere. It probably has 300k shots on the shutter. That is next months camera expense
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    The D700 is a camera that is hard to let go of. The AF system is just spot on, no other camera I've used has matched it in terms of focus reliability. The D800 is better in low light, but not as trustworthy overall. The D7000 (I did own one for a while) was close in good light, but did't stand a chance once light dropped off. I haven't used a D7100, so no comment there, but since it is a newer generation chip I would assume it is better than the D7000.
    edited February 2015
    The D700 is a camera that is hard to let go of. The AF system is just spot on, no other camera I've used has matched it in terms of focus reliability. The D800 is better in low light, but not as trustworthy overall.
    My experience is the complete opposite. I have both, but I have not used the D700 for 2 years

Want a profession DX for under $2000? Buy a refurbished Nikon D800 camera for $1,779 ( see main BLOG ) set it to DX and cover the D800 and Fx decals with black tape

Big advantage with a D800 no need to wait for it to be announced or become available or for Nikon to get the bugs out. It is here now and it is a bargain. After the D810 it is one of the best cameras in the world ( IMHO)

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I purchased a used D800E as a result of Nikon being so slow to produce a D300s replacement.in spite of it no longer being listed as a current camera body on Nikon's website. My intentions were to be able to use the DX ability of the D800E.

And, I occasionally use this, but as my lenses are all FX (one modified) I use the full frame quite often. Probably the advantage of using the DX is the file size will be significantly smaller and thus file handling easier, IMO.

If one does not need 8 FPS, is not shooting a lot of action sports, and can manage large files when desired, the D800/E is a phenomenal camera, and the price as noted by sevencrossing is quite attractive.
    Msmoto, mod
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @sevencrossing: I don't see the point in buying a D800 and use it only in DX mode. In my mind the large sensor is part of its greatness. I have actually never used my D800 in DX mode. I agree that it is a great camera.

The point of a professional DX camera is the combination of high pixel density and a high shutter speed. For example the Canon 7D Mark II has a higher pixel density than the D800 and more than double the shutter speed.

Hopefully these permutations of pro cameras make it easier to understand my point:

High FPS, Large Sensor = D4S
    High Resolution, Large Sensor = D810
    High FPS, High Resolution = Missing camera

Sometime in the future we will see a camera with top values in all three properties, but I think it will be many years until it happens.
    edited February 2015
    @sevencrossing: I don't see the point in buying a D800 and use it only in DX mode. .
    Absolutely. Although some people did not want to handle 36 mp files
    I was just pointing out a refurbished Nikon D800 camera for $1,779 is available NOW
    and while it does not tick every box you can get it today
    It has Nikon quality, Pro controls and build for under $2000 which is what a lot of people seem to want

I think we will get a High FPS, High Resolution Nikon but it will be a more than $2000

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @sevencrossing: I agree, if Nikon ever makes a pro DX camera I hope they let it be great and not force it into a price bracket. We already have the D7XXX series for really good bang for the buck.
    edited February 2015
    After seeing Canon's belated and pathetic answer (T6S) to Nikon's D90 I'm so gland that I didn't go any further than T2i :P Even the D7000 has magnesium back and side cover and weather seal. if T6S was built with some metal frame and sealed moderately with rubber gaskets it would compete with D7100 but that was like 2 years ago.
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    edited February 2015
    You do realize that the D7100 competitor is the 70D, not a rebel camera, right? Not saying the 70D is any better, because it isn't. ;)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited February 2015
    You do realize that the D7100 competitor is the 70D, not a rebel camera, right? Not saying the 70D is any better, because it isn't. ;)
    I'm just saying what I see in T6S reminded me of D90 since D7xxx series evolved from D90 I was being sarcastic to some extent and also I was trying to point out how much more Canon need to catch up with Nikon. :)) :)) :))
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on