Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,724Member
    2015 will be the last year Nikon has to field a D400 to compete with the Cannon 5DMarkII. If we don't see it come out next year, I don't believe Nikon will produce one. I am optimistic Nikon will produce a DX sensor in a pro body build for less than $2,000 in 2015. Hopefully, it will meet and exceed all the specs for the Cannon 5DMarkII. Certainly, it will have better dynamic range and image quality since all Nikon sensors beat Cannon sensors.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    2015 will be the last year Nikon has to field a D400 to compete with the Cannon 5DMarkII.
    Unless it has a full frame sensor that is unlikely. ;) I think you meant 7D MKII. :))
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014

Unless it has a full frame sensor ....
    The D400 will indeed be full frame
    it will also be mirrorless
    but It will not be announced in 2015
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Bah humbug, the D40 was a very lucky camera for Nikon (most likely best selling Nikon DSLR ever made). It also didn't stop them from making a D4. That said, I also agree that there will never be a D400.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    No D400 OK I will be happy with a D9XX. :)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    This forum has certainly degraded from the mythical Pro Body DX to food. Can someone bring us back on target? :-SS
    Perhaps we should accept after 6 years of prayers the patient is dead
    +1...totally agree with you. Just how long can you continue to discuss something that is not coming in the future.

:\">
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I still hope that there will be a pro dx. But the reason Nikon is not making one I believe is a strategic desicion to try to ge enthusiast photographers to buy inexpensive fx cameras instead of high spex dx ones.
    When did $2000+ become inexpensive?

Sorry, I meant the least expensive fx cameras, the D610 and D750.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Why do you think a different stick of inches applies to Canon? If they judge there is a market, there is a market. This thread has got a lot of 'nay sayers' bringing it down at the moment. Didn't the D300 follow the 7D? If so, why shouldn't the Nikon follow the Canon once more? See what they do, then beat it.
    Always learning.
    One idea for Nikon is to make a matching D500 dx camera when they make the D5. Basically the same spec but smaller.
    edited December 2014
    If so, why shouldn't the Nikon follow the Canon once more? .
    Because simply following your competitors is IMHO not a particularly good business model

See what they do, then beat it.

which Nikons products beat the 7D2 is very subjective

IMHO ( just my MHO)
    When it comes to value for money the D7100 and the D750 both beat the 7D2
    When it comes to speed the D4s beats the 7D2
    When it comes to makings large wall art landscape, the D810 beats the 7D2

I do understand other photographers have different needs to me

what I don't understand is, why they don't simply go out and buy a 7D2
    @sevencrossing: I agree with your three points under IMHO. For me it is the combination of speed and pixel density that makes a pro dx interesting. One reason that I don't buy a 7D2 is that it doesn't fit with my lenses. The D800 is my main camera but I would like a fast shooting top quality dx camera as a complement.
    If so, why shouldn't the Nikon follow the Canon once more? .
    Because simply following your competitors is IMHO not a particularly good business model

See what they do, then beat it.

which Nikons products beat the 7D2 is very subjective

IMHO ( just my MHO)
    When it comes to value for money the D7100 and the D750 both beat the 7D2
    When it comes to speed the D4s beats the 7D2
    When it comes to makings large wall art landscape, the D810 beats the 7D2

I do understand other photographers have different needs to me

what I don't understand is, why they don't simply go out and buy a 7D2
    WHAAAAT? Those comparisons are not even vaguely relevant: The D7100 is a prosumer, the D750 is FX (and neither are pro DX), and the D4 is 2-3 times the price of the 7DII.

As for Nikon always following Canon? In the camera body market place it is a perfect strategy. Imagine if Nikon blinked first and bought out a pro DX that was beaten by Canon within 6 months or a year. Sales to newcomers would go to Canon and you would then be posting saying what a bad idea it was to blink first. The camera body market is about best spec and newest. Seeing what your competitor has got then beating it is the only way to go providing you don't delay too long.

As for 'simply going out and buying a 7D2' (you keep saying this) - are you kidding? There is a/ emotional investment in a marque and b/ financial investment in system lenses and accessories which does cost a lot to change. No seven, the more sensible thing to do would be sell your house and buy both systems.
    Always learning.
    edited December 2014
    No seven, the more sensible thing to do would be sell your house and buy both systems.
    Why must you make your attacks on me so personal?

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Msmoto, mod
    Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?</blockquote

Lets be honest

this topic has been done to death
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,724Member
    Close to but not death yet, just give it one more year.

Cannon announced the 7D in September 2009. Nikon announced the D300 in August of 2007 and the D300s in in July 2009.

Cannon announced the 7DMarkII in September 2014. A D400 could appear in 2015 (a bit late) but I think 2016 will be too late. If Nikon can give us 24mp DX sensor with pro-build, large buffer and 10fps for $2,000 they will sell a lot. The D7200 won't be it. I think Nikon is developing a new sensor for this model. Lets hope for clean ISO as good as the D750 less one stop IQ at the top end of and maybe even a base of 64 ISO from the technology in the D810 sensor. If the price rises over $2,000 lots of people will just buy FX.

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

My take - which is mine to own - is that Nikon's management (or lack thereof) is really departmentalizing users. If you look at the Nikon USA site, the 'professional DSLRs' are all FX. I think that says a lot.

I don't put too much stock in NPS, either. I was in that program when it was free (and we got a nice magazine ;-) ). But really, it didn't mean a whole lot. It might make a difference to some at terrible times, but I really doubt it.

As someone mentioned, pros use a lot cameras - not what is strictly deem 'professional'. I don't think the moniker makes the camera more useful to the user. While a frame or two or three per second can be shown in an ad to look convincing enough to show that it's worth having the extra rate, it's likely ephemeral at best, but for the top two tenth's of one percent if even that.

But then, that's the catch. ;-) Marketing is hoping to lure some jakes in, and maybe it isn't so much, either. How can you become that top two tenth's if you don't have the tools?

But I doubt it really matters so much.

My best,

Mike

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2014
    @MikeGunter

I suspect we agree on a lot of things. The new technology, e.g., a D4s, will do so much more than I can ever use it is beyond anything i have in the past experienced. I suspect I could do almost all the photos I do, with the one exception, available light requiring high ISO, with my D90 and most could not tell the difference.

The issue of Nikon and how they think, I will never understand. Looking at sensor technology, and the ability for a DX to have exceptional detail, it certainly seems possible Nikon may offer one. But, equally possible is that they are going to bring forth the mirrorless in this format first, and do not want to have a DSLR which would be in any way competitive.

However, in the final analysis, the capturing of images, it probably makes no difference. A pro will use whatever tools are available and do it well.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    No seven, the more sensible thing to do would be sell your house and buy both systems.
    Why must you make your attacks on me so personal?
    Erm, aside from the fact that I disagreed with every point you made in your post (which I assume is ok as we all have our own opinions and this is a discussion forum), what did I say that is an attack or personal?

For clarification: I did not attack you personally. I'm sorry that you think I did.
    Always learning.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    Nikon's new crazy numbering scheme How 'bout D350, D450. D500-D550, D650, D850, and D950? :-))
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited December 2014
    I should probably go on record as saying that I am predisposed to BUYING a D7200. If Nikon does not bring that camera on line I will FINALLY switch to a different camera company. It will not be a Canon 7DMII. I am EXTREMELY happy with my D7100. I believe the D7100 is by far the best Nikon for ME, and when a D7200 comes out I will get a body and a lens to go with it. I do bet the D7200 is coming out in 2015. I am convinced that Nikon is ramping up for that big time. It also will be a BIG seller. Will there be a D400? I don't know either, but I would absolutely bet I will NOT buy one. The D7200 may lack pro features to some but to me it is the best compromise. I have also spent enough time to know the D3200 is a pretty good camera for what it is but when the D3400 comes out I will pass on that/ Focus grids are way too small, etc. Still the need for a small DSLR camera Nikon body in DX I believe this critical for Nikon to be in, The D5400 when it comes out may be a great seller and very worth me looking seriously at as well. But all this push for "pro" features to me just means expensive.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member

Depends on what you mean by "Pro Body" I for one have been clamoring for the Pro DX body because I hated the ergonomics of the D7100 and below and for that matter the D610 too. I loved the way the D300 felt in my hands.

My opinion of course but I think Nikon fixed the ergonomics problem with the D750! Love the way it fits in my hand and frankly I think it's the sweet spot in the Nikon line up (oops that for a different thread). My point being if you're looking for a all Metal Pro DX body, I don't think it's coming and I think the existence of the D610 and D750 are good evidence. But if you're expecting a high end DX camera in a Plastic or hybrid body (i.e. D750), it will come! Whether Nikon calls it the D7200 or D9xxx or what ever there will be a better DX body coming.

To bad I got the D750, it is such an incredible camera that I got rid of all my DX lenses and probably won't look back.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

It is what I am waiting for. I would like to pair up a D810 and a DX with the same control layout.
    Similar to what the D750 and D7200 roomer.
    A magnesium skeleton and a carbon fiber body looks like it could work fine and save weight.
    @retread: That makes two of us, although I have the D800. If Nikon put a great dx sensor in the D810 body and raised the speed to 10 fps I would be very interested.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    That locking mode dial has got to go ASAP!!!
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,