Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    seems simple to me.. no wishfull thinking needed at all.. just make it similar to D750 body and AF system and the D5300 sensor. no rocket science to it.. so what if the FPS is not as fast as the 7Dm2.. really who wants more than 7 or maybe 8 FPS ? every thing else Nikon wins .. no ? GPS and wifi already in D5300 why not in D7200 what else needed ..?
    The 7100 sensor and the 5300 sensor are the same, I think the minor differences in IQ are related to the newer Expeed processor processing what comes off the 5300.

While it may not seem like a big deal, almost all action and bif shooters will take more fps. They live with what they have, but will always take more. Sometimes I shoot in 1.3 crop mode on the 7100 just to get to 7fps and artificially deepen the buffer.

I would like Nikon to introduce a better buffer and upgrade the shutter mechanism, maybe with a much quieter carbon fiber shutter. The motorized shutter stability mechanisms that Canon put on the 7Dm2 to help keep pictures crisp at rapid fps would also be a welcome addition. I doubt Nikon will introduce a new improved AF module on the 9300, but that would be amazing if they did.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited October 2014
    Somehow this got repeated. But FX is not the only direction the Company should take. The Canon 7DM2 should be answered!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am not interested in a baby D750. A little sibling to the D810 would really be nice.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I am not interested in a baby D750. A little sibling to the D810 would really be nice.
    i think we all want a baby d810 more than a baby D750 but the D7200 will probably be the baby D750. as that is probably what the rest of the world wants more.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

heartyfisher said,
    i think we all want a baby d810 more than a baby D750 but the D7200 will probably be the baby D750. as that is probably what the rest of the world wants more.

If the D9300 is the baby D810 I will wait. But not forever.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited October 2014
    But, would you consider that a pro dx camera?
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    would you consider that a pro dx camera?

My definition of a pro dx camera is whichever crop camera a pro uses. In the hands of a pro, a D5300 could be a pro dx camera. It's not the gear; it's the shooter behind the gear. :))
    edited October 2014
    @manhattanboy "... The 7100 sensor and the 5300 sensor are the same, I think the minor differences in IQ are related to the newer Expeed processor processing what comes off the 5300. ..."

You mean like the D600 sensor being the same as the D750 ? no no no .. the High iso from the D5300 is better by at least half a stop some say its 1 full stop.. just like what they are saying between the D750 vs D600.. so the D7200 should be better as to be expected... if its 24mp (i hope it is still 24mp) it should be the High ISO king for just like the D750 is the high iso king now ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited October 2014
    I just noticed 1) Lots of comments to the Steve Heiner interview (that the main blog refers to). Again, it's about Nikon not taking DX seriously. Lenses and the pro body .... My point is, every time this happens, we see new names and new people adding comments. - It's simply not true if some believe it's the same five people that keep whining. Even after all this time there's more desire (by far) for new high-end DX stuff than for any other product area.
    [In line with what Thom Hogan reports from his thousands of mails :-) ]

Observation no. 2) It still happens VERY often that you run into other enthusiasts that use the D300. They have NOT "upgraded" to FX. - It's simply not true if some believe there's no market for a pro DX.

Observation no. 3) I Went to a course for enthusiastic amateurs, so they must be "enthusiasts", right? They wanted to express themselves and to take pictures. They were NOT gear heads. Reality check: One out of 16 carried an FX. Most carried DX bodies. Many took excellent pictures. Many had only a vague idea what "fullframe" meant. - It's simply not true if some believe that users will eventually upgrade to FX.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited October 2014
    It's simply not true if some believe that users will eventually upgrade to FX.
    The question is what , if anything will they buy next
    many seem to have upgraded to, the excellent, value for money, D7100
    most people expect a D7200 and that may keep a few more people happy
    The question Nikon will be asking. Are we losing too many sales to other brands
    and if we did respond to 7D2 with a D400, would that increase our overall profitability
    the answer to this question seems to be no

People feel Nikon must respond to the 7D2
    Do they think Canon must respond to the D810

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,708Member
    The year 2015 will provide the final answer, one way or the other, to this question of a pro DX. If Nikon does not produce such a product next year, I don't think they ever will.
    edited October 2014
    The year 2015 will provide the final answer,
    December 2012
    It won't be long now and we will have the answers as to both the successor to the D7000 and the D300s
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Observation no. 3) I Went to a course for enthusiastic amateurs, so they must be "enthusiasts", right? They wanted to express themselves and to take pictures. They were NOT gear heads. Reality check: One out of 16 carried an FX. Most carried DX bodies. Many took excellent pictures. Many had only a vague idea what "fullframe" meant. - It's simply not true if some believe that users will eventually upgrade to FX.
    +1 for this paragraph. I have 4 friends who shoot either Nikon or Canon DSLR's, one is a D80 owner and the others are all entry level models. Over the past month I have touched based with all of them and NONE are interested in replacing their 2 generation old DSLR. They are perfectly satisfied with the results they get and cannot justify upgrading in their minds. They just want a camera that takes good pictures in automatic mode or program mode.

I think those participating in the Nikon and Canon forums are NOT the typical users. Their advanced amateurs and pros who do trade up when new technology comes along and we see how this new technology can benefit our shooting. Not all are "gear heads" but a good percentage.

Your right Sports, those at the workshop are not "gear heads" they have the kit zoom and one other lens for reach and they have no interest in upgrading.

IMHO:
    1. Nikon and Canon are after the new users who want a DSLR. They know there is volume that help lower the price.
    2. Nikon and Canon want to sell high end FX models to the pros...whether they do or do not meet expectations is another discussion.
    3. Continue to offer low priced DX lens for those kit buyers who need another lens; i.e. 55/70 to 200/300mm.
    4. Provide a progression for DX owners who want to move up to a better model with more features. The sub set of this group is the advanced amateurs and Pro's that want a DX DSLR in their tool bag.

Coming back to the original question "will there be a Pro DX body?" When Nikon released the D300 and 700 they were overwhelmed with sales. Great product produces volume. For what ever reason the marketing strategy has changed and it's apparent that there is no pro DX body in their plans.

The recent introduction of the Canon 7D MkII, note Adorama is shipping it now so we should start to hear how great it is, has caused Nikon (my guess) to reconsider the future of matching or beating the new 7D. Do I believe there will be a pro body replacement for the D300S....No. Will there be a model to counter the 7D...yes. Will it be the 7200 or 7300 or 9300....who knows. I just don't see Nikon countering the 7D with a pro body DSLR.

It's all speculation based upon my opinion and input from a camera dealer manager who has been in the business a long time.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I am relatively new to DX, Just 3 years with a D5100. I have been happy with what I can do. Coming from film I do have lenses that fit the FX format. I have an upgrade path that includes both DX and FX camera bodies. I was not around digital when the D700 and D300 were available. From what I understand from reading posts it was a good combination. I want to shoot both DX and FX. Currently I am acquiring lenses when I can, FX for the most part with one DX on my list.

I may not need the pro body but what I get now will have to last until I pass them on to the next generation of photographers. Having similar controls and feel is a big plus.

With what Nikon has available now it would be a D810 and a DX equivalent if an answer to the 7DII ever shows up. If not then that is a sale Nikon will not get. By the time I get to the D810 it may be the D8XX as I hope to upgrade DX first if I have the opportunity.
  • royalpig180royalpig180 Posts: 2Member
    I just noticed 1) Lots of comments to the Steve Heiner interview (that the main blog refers to). Again, it's about Nikon not taking DX seriously. Lenses and the pro body .... My point is, every time this happens, we see new names and new people adding comments. - It's simply not true if some believe it's the same five people that keep whining. Even after all this time there's more desire (by far) for new high-end DX stuff than for any other product area.
    [In line with what Thom Hogan reports from his thousands of mails :-) ].
    I agree that Nikon is ignoring the desire for a pro DX body, but I really fail to see the issue with the lack of DX lenses. The most commonly suggested reasoning behind "pro-dx" lenses is that they can be smaller than their FX counterparts and thus form a more compact system. This is silly though. The same people clamoring for these lenses are also the ones who want any D300 replacement to have the body style of a D300/D700/D800: that is to say, not compact at all! As someone else in this thread noted, mirrorless is probably the best solution for those who like DX for its size advantages. The D100/200/300 never offered a significant size advantage, certainly not with the grips that many of us shoot them with.

That said, I would like to see one or two DX lenses aimed at "pro-DX" users, but only where full-frame based focal lengths are a little awkward. For example, 70-200/80-200 is a great focal length range on FX and is great on DX as well for a variety of sports and action photography, but it just doesn't work as well for event/ journalistic photography as it does on FX because 70 simply isn't wide enough. The Sigma 50-150 F2.8 is the answer to this, but it'd be great if Nikon made on of their own. An 85mm equivalent also comes to mind, though I suppose a 60mm macro comes close...
    edited October 2014
    @royalpig180 - welcome to NRF...interesting screen name that you picked.

Based upon the video posted on the main blog of the interview with Steve Heing, you would think Nikon is going to issue some "exciting updates" to DX lens. His words in quote, not mine. I said it in September and will say it again....2015 will be the year of the DX. When I watched the video it sounds like DX and FX lens. Hopefully Nikon will update the 17-55 2.8 DX and introduce some DX lens with weather seals, and update these DX lens: 24-70mm F2.8 and 300mm F4. There are a few others but you get the point.

I would really like to see them update the 50mm and 35mm lens to catchup with Sigma too.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "2015 will be the year of the DX"

It had better be or else Nikon is on the road to irrelevancy. Sony, for one, is not standing still. It has a full court press going against both Nikon and Canon. Over the next 2 years one can expect to see a lot of game changing releases from Sony, particularly for its e-mount camera lines, both cropped and full-frame. They seem to be all in. Now I realize Sony has the reputation of investing in a product and then suddenly doing a 180 degree reversal without notice, in the process leaving loyal customers stranded, but its moves to take Canikon head-on in high level cameras seem genuine. If Nikon releases a "pro/enthusiast" DX camera in 2015, I'll buy it and whatever lenses I need to build a complete light weight travel system. But if not, Sony will probably get my money instead. As I've written before, I really like my D800 and the top notch (but oh so heavy!) lenses I bought for it, but truth be told my Sony A6000 is a complete joy to use. I wouldn't mind having more of the same, especially in a high level FF version. I will continue to listen to all the rumors and will wait patiently to see what happens between now and March 2015.
    edited October 2014
    @BabaGanoush - yes 2015 will be the year of the DX. After all there has been 5 improvements to FX models in the last 18 or so months. We will see Nikon introduce the D7200 and potentially the D3400 or D5400. After watching the Nikon interview I expect we will see several improvements to DX and FX lens next year.

Anyway we are off topic for this forum.
    Post corrected, thanks PB_PM.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2014
    Yup, the D7200, D5400 and D3400 are all due to ship in 2015. Maybe we'll see another DX prime to wrap things up. Nothing usual, but a year focused on DX none the less. Maybe a D620 thrown in just for laughs. :p
    We will see Nikon introduce the...D3300 or D5300.
    You do realize both those models are already available, right?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited October 2014
    Yup, the D7200, D5400 and D3400 are all due to ship in 2015. Maybe we'll see another DX prime to wrap things up. Nothing usual, but a year focused on DX none the less. Maybe a D620 thrown in just for laughs. :p
    We will see Nikon introduce the...D3300 or D5300.
    You do realize both those models are already available, right?
    The word "replacement" was left out but you got my point. Dah, need to reread before hitting the "post command". :\"> Edit comment: It reads better to say D5400 and D3400 as you indicated. Thanks for pointing out the slip.
  • royalpig180royalpig180 Posts: 2Member
    @royalpig180 - welcome to NRF...interesting screen name that you picked.

Based upon the video posted on the main blog of the interview with Steve Heing, you would think Nikon is going to issue some "exciting updates" to DX lens. His words in quote, not mine. I said it in September and will say it again....2015 will be the year of the DX. When I watched the video it sounds like DX and FX lens. Hopefully Nikon will update the 17-55 2.8 DX and introduce some DX lens with weather seals, and update these DX lens: 24-70mm F2.8 and 300mm F4. There are a few others but you get the point.

I would really like to see them update the 50mm and 35mm lens to catchup with Sigma too.
    I really hope that this isn't just a tease, but I don't have high hopes for "exciting" DX lenses. I suppose anything that's not another 18-xxx is a good start though.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is that the expensive 17-55 DX doesn't have VR that drives me towards the D750 so I can use the 24-120VR in church.

Come on Nikon, give the customers what they want. Business 101.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2014
    It is that the expensive 17-55 DX doesn't have VR that drives me towards the D750 so I can use the 24-120VR in church.

the D750 has by all accounts excellent high ISO performance somthing Dx will struggle to match
    church weddings are where high ISO performance is really useful

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am thinking it costs Nikon exactly the same to design a DX lens vs. an FX lens. They have also the V1 set of lenses and the various other bodies which have been offered…

Possibly the new "group" of lenses will be DX, yet work only on a new mirrorless body. Hopefully, there will be an adapter for the new mirrorless which will allow the use of "F" mount lenses. It is my understanding from information shared on NRF that the digital sensor technology requires a light ray to hit it at as close to a right angle as possible and as the angle of incidence decreases the sensor has more difficulties. This may mean only a DX sensor could work with a shorter flange to sensor distance as FX would require more distance to maintain the same angle of incidence.

IMO this supports the idea of Nikon and a DX mirrorless initially at least, eventually coming our with a full frame mirrorless in the future.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited November 2014
    I am thinking it costs Nikon exactly the same to design a DX lens vs. an FX lens. They have also the V1 set of lenses and the various other bodies which have been offered…

Possibly the new "group" of lenses will be DX, yet work only on a new mirrorless body. Hopefully, there will be an adapter for the new mirrorless which will allow the use of "F" mount lenses. It is my understanding from information shared on NRF that the digital sensor technology requires a light ray to hit it at as close to a right angle as possible and as the angle of incidence decreases the sensor has more difficulties. This may mean only a DX sensor could work with a shorter flange to sensor distance as FX would require more distance to maintain the same angle of incidence.

IMO this supports the idea of Nikon and a DX mirrorless initially at least, eventually coming our with a full frame mirrorless in the future.
    re the light angle. that is why i think the coolpix A was so interesting. its the first sensor from nikon that had the offset micro lenses which is mirrorless with a wide ANGLE lense.

The recent sell off may mean that
    1) a new version is coming
    2) mirrorless DX is coming !!!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on