D5 -- What will it take to make you upgrade from a D3s, D4, or D4s to a D5?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    What do you mean by hybrid?
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    edited February 2015
    @WestEndFoto: Think Fuji X-Pro 1 in a DSLR body - Live view in the finder kind of thing - not a bad idea if you ask me. Turn off live view and you are back to the good old OVF :-)
    Post edited by henrik1963 on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    So basically a Nikon version of the Sony SLT cameras then, because that's the only way hybrid could work with a DSLR.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Not quite sure how the Fuji works, but if you are talking an optional EVF with the ability to switch back to an OVF, meaning same D4 performance with the OVF, then that could be interesting.

The Sony SLT is a flawed design. You are giving up transmission to the viewfinder and basically downgrading all of your glass by a half stop. For low light performance, transmission is the most important aspect of a lens.
    @WestEndFoto: You got it right - that is the idea. Not saying that is what Nikon is going to do - just floating an idea.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    So basically a Nikon version of the Sony SLT cameras then, because that's the only way hybrid could work with a DSLR.
    I think that would be The Nikon's Betamax
    Nikon may not be as innovative as Sony but there products don't have a habit of becoming white elephants
    It was Sony Betamax, version 2. They have done nothing to develop that line. It is the fundamental reason not to trust Sony if you want more than one lens.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The SLT didn't need much development, since it has the old Menolta/Sony A mount with tons of lenses available. Yes Sony is not trustworthy when it comes to cameras, but the A mount series is the most supported, even with the release of the A77 MKII last year.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with msmoto about the difference between d3s to d4s. Except maybe in the video department.

The new 300 pf looks extremely appealing... wonder how it truly compares to the 300 2.8 vr2 before I jump the gun. Size and weight are not a factor for me.
    +1 it is very appealing. I also wonder how the new one compares to the existing 300mm F4D lens. That is why I am waiting for the Dxo results, Nasim's testing, and Popular Photography testing.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Bob, where are you? I need a second D4......LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited February 2015
    If the D5 weights significantly less that the D4, and the ISO capability stays the same, I know where you can pick up a slightly used D4. :)

I love the D4 for indoor sports and other poor lighting situations. But I would really love to be able to carry that capability on an all-day shoot.

Will the 171 focus points be a game changer? How?
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    edited February 2015
    If the D5 weights significantly less that the D4, and the ISO capability stays the same, I
    The D810 is significantly lighter than the D4
    I do see the speed of the D8xx series starting to to compete with D4 D5 cameras
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I agree, I find myself carrying the D810 on all-day shoots, and I do not have any real complaints about using it at ISO 1600. But, I have not faced any situations where higher ISO was needed. Maybe tomorrow. :)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • AKUKANKAAKUKANKA Posts: 3Member
    Amount of the focus points is not that necessary. More important thing is that how they actually work. Even 21 points is enough if they are wide-spread and reliable. Any Nikon body I have tested, including the pro ones D3s, D4, D4s, focuses best with the center point. That will be the case also in the future as the light comes straight to this center point. For example, fast moving birds that are flying towards you are difficult subject to focus if you use 9/21/group AF with long lens. Center point in single point mode produces most reliable results with good gimbal head when something is coming towards you. Side-moving action is more reliably followed with 9/21/group AF.

So for the D5:

-Reliable and wide-spread focus points, no matter how many points
    -More resolution like 20-24mp
    -Native Iso 51200, meaning that 25600 will be very clean, like D4s ISO 12800
    -more FPS, well if possible to make it work with no restrictions for AF
    -Lighter body than D4s
    -Better DR and colors more like D610/D750/D810 which look better than D4s in landscape photos
    -Longer exposure options than 30sec like D810a. Will need this for night sky photography!
  • HallvardkHallvardk Posts: 19Member
    You gotta have in mind who this camera is targeting. I would bet that most people buying a D5 is either a sports photographer or a journalist type of photographer. Yes, you will have those amateurs who has way too much money laying around, but these top notch cameras are targeting a very specific crowd of people. More than 20-22 MP is too much for magazine or newspaper work, and the ISO performance is already so good, that just some minor improvements are needed.

My bet is that we'll see an improvement in connectivity, maybe adding wifi and some functions that make it easier to share and deliver images faster. We'll also see better focusing, a lighter body (considering how much lighter the big pro lenses have gotten lately), and some sort of party trick.

- 20 MP
    - 100 whatever focusing points
    - 12 FPS
    - 64-51200 ISO
    Gosh, I really meant to say, in regards to the OP question.....about $4,000.......
    Msmoto, mod
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I'm guessing around $6k
    I would trade my D4.....guessing about $4,000 is the difference.... :((
    Msmoto, mod
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    @Msmoto, you are probably right. I will be looking at it when it comes out. I've enjoyed my D4 but the D5 seems like it will be a significant upgrade. Lets hope. I don't know why I said that since it will cost me money. :-)
    We now have something to go on

New 20MP FX sensor
    4k video
    173 autofocus points
    Native high ISO of 102,400
    15 fps
    Body design similar to the D4s
    Announcement expected in late 2015 or in early 2016

any one saving their pennies?

In my mind you really have to need one to want one. For what I do I would be better of with a D8xx than a Dx.
    In my mind you really have to need one to want one. For what I do I would be better of with a D8xx than a Dx.
    Yes but if, like me, you suffer from nas, you still want one
    and the 800mm to go with it
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    170+ AF points could suggest a mirrorless design with focusing being accomplished on the sensor.
    I doubt they would hobble the model where focus counts the most with an inferior focus system.
    Don't think hobble, think hybrid. Is it a coincidence that the nikon 1 also has 171 focus points? I don't think so...
    I would be curious to see how they accomplish 15 fps. With only 20 megapixels, data throughput should not be a problem. Focussing will be quite the accomplishment.
    The v3 uses 171 focus points, and has PDAF built into the sensor. I would not be at all surprised to see some of the 173 focus points on the D5 sensor for the ability to focus when the mirror is up. This has been one of the barriers to cracking 10fps.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    What will it take for me to upgrade to a D5? Only money! I am guessing those 173 focus points have to be on the sensor and not in a new focus module. Thus, there will be no need for AF fine tuning. Every lens and every zoom will be perfectly focused on the sensor plane at every single mm. If I somehow find the money I will pay for that new feature alone. Also, it should automatically find the face and focus on the near eye.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    What will it take for me to upgrade to a D5? Only money! I am guessing those 173 focus points have to be on the sensor and not in a new focus module. Thus, there will be no need for AF fine tuning. Every lens and every zoom will be perfectly focused on the sensor plane at every single mm. If I somehow find the money I will pay for that new feature alone. Also, it should automatically find the face and focus on the near eye.
    I do not believe (I could be wrong) that the need for fine tune is related to the AF sensor location since that itself can be 'fine tuned' and all lenses would behve the same.

It is related to PD focusing anticipating the speed and direction that the lens can achieve focus change, and presuming when focus is achieved. That is why PD is faster than contrast detect which waits for focus o be achieved.

If someone on the forum is truly expert here, I would welcome clarity on this issue.

Regards ... Harold

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.