D5 -- What will it take to make you upgrade from a D3s, D4, or D4s to a D5?

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @sevencrossing: NAS is a nasty thing :-) Walking for a full day with a D800 + 70-200 2.8 convinced me that lighter gear is the future. I would really have to need what a D5 has over a D800 to be willing to carry the extra load. It is not that it can't be done - its just not something I would do for fun.

Nikon should consider to offer a D5 - no grip version as they did with the D700.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    @sevencrossing: NAS is a nasty thing :-) Walking for a full day with a D800 + 70-200 2.8 convinced me that lighter gear is the future.
    Tell me about it :)

But sometimes, I can shoot a few yards, from my camper van

@sevencrossing: I can see where NAS is taking you: You "need" a D5 + 800mm + a camper :-)

Surplus Tiger tank would be a lot more fun: Scrap the 88mm - install the 800mm = You are good to go :-)
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    The Tiger tank had a very slow turret. An 800mm lens mounted on it could only photograph sloths.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

For that kind of reach a Nikon 1v3 + N1 70-300 seems more practical and economical
    edited June 2015
    For that kind of reach a Nikon 1v3 + N1 70-300 seems more practical and economical
    NAS is not about reach, or being practical and economical
    Its about bragging rights
    And a D5 + 800mm, wins hand down :)

That said, on a practical note, the high ISO performance of the D5, might just be a tad better than the 1v3
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    NAS is not about reach, or being practical and economical
    Its about bragging rights
    And a D5 + 800mm, wins hand down :)

That said, on a practical note, the high ISO performance of the D5, might just be a tad better than the 1v3
    I would rather have a D810 to take advantage of the awesome resolution of the 800. But I guess it depends on what you are using it for.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I always wanted the D4 so for me to go with my wishlist D4 I would sell two zooms, some lighting gear and maybe some stuff around the house and hoping to not spending more than $100 for the balance.
    edited June 2015

I would rather have....
    You are missing the point of NAS. The idea is to have both :)

Post edited by sevencrossing on

I would rather have....
    You are missing the point of NAS. The idea is to have both :)

I will buy a D820 after the defect period expires and use my D800 as a second camera. I will then buy the 200mm f/2 when Nikon applies the florite treatment.

In the meantime, I will buy the 24mm 2.8 AIS and 40mm 2.0 Ultron.

That will keep my NÀS satisfied.
    I would glady get the D820 and sell one of the D8x bodies but I need the D5 to photograph my kids. In the blink of an eye the perfectly pose will not happen again for days. Oh and birds and my dog running around the yard. Yep.

any word on faster shutter speeds? 1/16000
    Why do you want a faster shutter speed?
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    What would it take for me to upgrade to the D5? A B&H post that it's available.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Fast aperture shooting without an ND filter, would be my guess.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Fast aperture shooting without an ND filter, would be my guess.
    Mine , but I am curious to know, not guess.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Only one feature that would get me to upgrade. Being able to star images in camera... And maybe a wider AF array. Other than that the D4s is about perfect. I agree with msmoto's original comment about 80%. I have found that with the D4s I dont come home with any duds because I am not fighting the gear's AF system or noise limit like I did with my D700. The camera immediately tacked 30% onto what I could do at a shoot, not because I dont have the eye but because I am no longer focusing & fighting with a tool that cant get the job done how I need it done.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    edited June 2015
    @kyoshinikon: Well said: We dont want to fight our gear - we want to get the gear out of the way so we can focus on the picture/video in front of us.
    Post edited by henrik1963 on
    The Dx cameras may very well be top of the line - having the best features. But looking at the system - camera, lenses and other bits like flashes you end up with a very expensive and heavy gear bag.

I think Nikon needs to come up with a lighter and less expensive gear bag - one you can carry around - one you can afford.

The new 300 F4 lens is a step in the right direction on one front - weight.

Nikon will end up being the new Hasselblad if they dont come up with smaller and more affordable ways of taking good pictures.

......if they dont come up with smaller and more affordable ways of taking good pictures.
    I think that was the idea behind the Nikon 1
    @sevencrossing: I like the idea behind the Nikon 1. But it needs a lot of work.

Sony has proved that you can take good pictures with a small sensor - RX100.
    Nikon has proved that they can make a camera that gets in the way of taking good pictures.

Nikon has proved that they can make a camera that gets in the way of taking good pictures.
    Rubbish
    A bad workman blames his tools

@sevencrossing: No need to get rude - calling me a bad workman.

I am a great defender of Nikons 1 system - it is a good idea with a lot of good tech. I see no reason why you can not make good pictures with that tech. A lot of people take great pictures with Sonys RX100.

But there is no reason to defend bad design. Why can't the camera, the grip and the viewfinder be in one piece on the Nikon 1 v3?. Why not use an interface that camera users know in advance?

You may like the Nikon 1 cameras as they are right now - I dont. I think they are prototypes.
    I don't like Nikon1 cameras
    So I don't use them

I would love a lighter camera than my D800
    but not at the expense of IQ

I don't like Nikon1 cameras
    So I don't use them

I would love a lighter camera than my D800
    but not at the expense of IQ

There is always a trade off between IQ, weight and function. No matter what path is chosen, people will always complain.

Strategically for the long term, I think that it will be difficult for the Nikon 1 system to differentiate itself from high end camera phones and will suffer. FX, because of the weight and size required to achieve its IQ, will never have this problem.
    edited June 2015
    That is correct. Imagine shooting your 50mm 1.2 ais at noon without a ND filter.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on