Nikon D4x

Comments

• MJphotographyHKMJphotographyHK Posts: 2Member
    My suggestion to Nikon: DROP the video for any new models, concentrate on producing higher quality "still" cameras.
    Then you can satisfy the "real pros" from those who don't know which side they bat from (AC/DC).

I currently own two D3s, however decided strongly against wasting my money buying the D4 since is mostly for video enthusiasts!

I would like a higher MP with improved ISO range and skip the D800's 36MP, otherwise there is no reason to buy the new D4x.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @MJphotographyHK: What an introduction to our forum. L-) 8-|
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have no real idea how to do video on my D4....maybe someday....

I would kinda hate to see a D4x....as it may cause a serious financial drain.......
    Msmoto, mod
  • zernickezernicke Posts: 14Member
    I have a D3s and a D4 and must admit to picking up the D4 more often than the D3s. The D3s is great, the D4 is just a little greater (except for the card door). As to video I have a dedicated video camera (Sony F3) but on occassion I use the D4 for video and it works really nicely. I record externally to a Ninja 2 and get sound from an external lav mic wireless to the camera. It really is a nice option when you want video.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I have no real idea how to do video on my D4....maybe someday....

I would kinda hate to see a D4x....as it may cause a serious financial drain.......
    LOL Msmoto ... me too. I would like a D4x with something other than a D800 sensor. What would be the point of that? Hopefully whatever comes out later this year will build on the D4's low light capability, fps speed, and the D800's megapixel size. Go ahead Nikon, give us a high performance D4x that will compete with medium format cameras. Oh, and up your game on the lenses so we do not have to go elsewhere to maximize the camera's capability (new Zeiss series coming this fall). I am not asking for much ..... ;)

Occasionally a decent image ...
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I used to hate video... Now embrace it. As a Journalist it can be a lifesaver. I would be happy if the D4x was a D800 that did 8fps
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited April 2013
    I too would not be too bothered if the New NikonD4? had video, I am sure Nikon are closely looking at the competition . Just one thing, please Nikon start the price right so photographers who want to buy the new model don't have to wait 12 months until price meets the model
    I suppose There's no chance of that happening.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Thom Hogan made some interesting predictions today about what cameras to next expect from Nikon, and sounded pretty optimistic about the D4x.

Can you tell I'm a little desperate for good D4x rumors? ;)
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
    Me too
    I know this is an old chestnut subject but is over 4 years since Nikon brought out the D3X and time must be getting near for a new Flagship camera. I will not speculate on spec has this as been well discussed by previous members, all of which is either hopeful thinking or wishful thinking. Like D300 owners we patiently wait for the 4/5 year cycle to end so that the usual Nikon vers Canon leap frog race can continue.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2013
    The D4x was in some ways "replaced " by the D800
    but the D800 lacks high fps
    the next Pro FX Camera should address this
    but will it be a D4X? a D810?
    or we will have to wait for the Rio Olympics in 2016 and the D5 and the D900?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Predicting anything from Nikon is IMO a real crap shoot..... I am of the opinion Nikon has been caught in the same problem so many have in the business world.....a severe downturn which has everyone revisiting their decision making to stay profitable. Thus, what we may have seen in years past may not be the way we will see things in the future....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited September 2013
    Thus, what we may have seen in years past may not be the way we will see things in the future.... - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/430/nikon-d4x#Item_63

There was a gap of over 10 years between the F and the F2
    I think we will continue to see small upgrades ( eg D610)
    but overall Nikon may well decide to reduce their product range so No D400 and No D4x
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    The D5300 is supposed to have a new EXPEED 4 processor. Likely Nikon will produce some variations of this EXPEED 4. One variation could make a 24mp 8fps D400 possible and another variation could make a 48mp 5 fps D4x possible. The needed buffer ram should be cheap. As component parts become available at reasonable prices Nikon will likely assemble them and offer both a D400 and a D4x.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Possibility doesn't necessarily lead to logical conclusion. Just because you can imagine Nikon making something doesn't mean they will. Its nice to imagine a company riding the cusp of innovation and providing every possible innovation into each product at every chance. Sounds good on paper, but no company would last if they ignored market statistics and analysis in favour of the power of positive thinking. Like anything, product limitations are deliberate and the degree of difference between each product is calculated so as to provide the best returns possible for the company. This means we get what we get rather than the best they could have possibly done for us.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D4x was in some ways "replaced " by the D800
    but the D800 lacks high fps
    the next Pro FX Camera should address this
    but will it be a D4X? a D810?
    or we will have to wait for the Rio Olympics in 2016 and the D5 and the D900?
    Why? The D3x was a "slow camera" so there is no need for a D4x to be fast either. If the D4x was as rumored 48MP+, then even with Expeed 4, it would be hard pressed to be faster than 4FPS. Cameras like that are not going to be used by sports/action shooters, at least not as a primary body. Such users will go after the D4/D4s.

I agree with others though. The last generation semi-pro/pro lineup was a wash because it was the era in which FX came into existence (D3/D3x/D3s, D700, D300, D300s). That is simply way too many semi-pro/pro cameras in a four year period. That's why it is more likely that we'll see the D4, maybe D4s, D4x, D800(e) and that's it. Four, maybe five models rather than six. To be honest I could see Nikon leaving the D800 and D800E on the market for four years, without an update. Canon has nothing that can touch them, in that class. The 5D MKIII is a more mid-range camera, so it might be updated with more MP to catch up in the coming year. Of course now I'm getting off topic.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Of course Mike and PB_PM are correct. If Nikon determines a D400 wouldn't sell enough units to return a profit, they won't make one. Same for a D4x. It would seem to me a D400 would sell in sufficient units to be a hot product but the D3x may not have sold many units since it was priced so high. I would think a 48 (or so) megapixel D4x sensor and an EXPEED 4 processor could be added to a D4 body for less than $1,000 additional cost resulting in a $7,000 D4x as compared to the $8,000 D3x. If Nikon can price such a D4x for just a thousand dollar premium I would think it would sell sufficient units. We will see what the next 12 months brings. Considering that fact that DxOMark now rates three Nikon FX sensors higher than MF digital backs one would think Nikon would want to market a D4x as an inexpensive medium format substitute. If so, it probably should be optimized for skin tones.

As an aside, I see D3x bodies going for $4,000 (half price) which seems to be a good deal until you consider that for $2,000 less you can have the same 24 megapixels in FX with much better high ISO ability.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Id be surprised if Nikon determines a D400 wouldn't turn a profit. The demand for one seems to be out there (Not just on NR) I know MANY D300/D300'ses users who are begging Nikon to do something... I doubt the processor in and of itsself had a huge role in why the D800 was limited to in terms of fps... Sony has been doing high mpx high fps cameras for years many of them mechanical as well as optical. I think it is more of a cost issue. If Nikon would produce a 36mpx D4x that could pull 8fps (which I am sure they can) how would that affect their D800 sales and D4 sales. If it would they would have to cost it out of the other 2 reducing the amount of buyers. If that new buyer pool is not big enough the product isn't considered viable anymore. Almost all companies nowadays are interested in direct short term profit. Why else do you not see nikon truly innovate in the pro sphere even when it seems obvious to do so? Because the risk is either a loss of profit or a smaller profit margin than there currently is. Remember sony is the innovator but they are also something their nearest competitors watch... If a true innovation doesn't pick on quickly it is dismissed...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    edited September 2013
    Sony is innovative in the sensor space, but that's about it. In other areas, like when it comes to cameras? Meh, they are just throwing crap at the wall hoping something will stick.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Do we know if Nikon was pleased with D3x sales figures?
    I'd guess no, but of course I'd be guessing.

Given the theory that Nikon is now trying especially hard to maximize short-term top and bottom lines, I would think the company's perception of the success/failure of D3x would greatly influence decisions to produce D4x.
    edited September 2013
    My guess is that Nikon expected low sales numbers for the D3x so they increased the price to create a larger profit margin which would make the camera profitable even though fewer units were sold which is why it was so expensive. It is sort of funny. Back then (2009) Nikon figured few people would really need a 24mp FX sensor so they would sell few units and had to extract a large profit from each one to make the project worthwhile. Now, just four years later, the bottom of the line FX body has a 24 mp sensor as does the entire current generation DX line. The rare top of the line megapixel number has become the standard across the range. With 24mp as standard in Nikon's least expensive DSLR I would think Nikon would want a "halo" product in the range of 48 to 50 mp. It would also be possible for Nikon to use the D800 sensor and an EXPEED 4 processor in a D4x to obtain double the resolution of the D4 and similar high fps at a cost not much higher than the D4.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    For me, I am more interested in the D4s because of the more highly attractive features such as low light and fps. Price aside, I am not surprised at how much better the D3s sales were compared to the D3x. Nikon's marketing strategy is interesting in that they released the D3 in 2007, the D3x in 2008 and then the D3s in 2009. I guess the D4x will hit stores around January after being announced in December. The following Chrismtas the D4s will hit. I have a feeling the D4s will be a remarkable camera.
    Not too sure how they can make a D4s as the D4 already has video
    I supposed they could make a D4x by removing it
    edited September 2013
    Not too sure how they can make a D4s as the D4 already has video
    I supposed they could make a D4x by removing it
    You haven't tracked Nikon very long have you? Nikon released the D2Xs and D2Hs simply with an updated LCD, minor buffer and firmware updates over the original D2X and D2H.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited September 2013
    haven't tracked Nikon very long have you

No I am a bit of a newbie. I did not get my first Nikon F till 1966

I am with Msmoto what we may have seen in years past may not be the way we will see things in the future....

Firmware updates no longer need a new model