D850

Comments

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Heartyfisher said:

Since I reprogrammed my video buttons on my cameras to be ISO, I am happier with my non-profit-making controls than the pro controls.

Just curious... how do you video now? :p

Pistnbroke said:

U1...video button = ISO U2...video button = video EPLS

Actually, it's even easier than that.. just switch live view to Video mode and hey presto the Movie Record button is a movie record button again.. ;) ;)

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I will do that map iso to video thing !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    Guess when it will be announced and when will it be delivered ?
    My guess: Announcement - June 2017, Delivery - July 2017 with 100th Year Symbol.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    OMG I like the sound of that body...
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Ok, when do I sell my D810? Now, or after delivery of the D820?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,708Member
    edited May 2017
    As we all contemplate our "need" for the additional pixels in a D820 it would be good to consider this comment from a highly published high fashion photographer.

http://benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011/05/07/pixel-peeping-anal-about-number-pixels/ "

Sounds like what Ken Rockwell says, doesn't it?

I should add that the last I could find out he was shooting with a Nikon D800!

Here is an example of his work

http://benjaminkanarek.com/

He sells prints in these sizes:

Purchase Benjamin Kanarek’s images from his portfolio, in limited edition prints and signed by the photographer.

Formats available in centimeters:

(18X24),
    (24X30),
    (30X40),
    (40X50),
    (50X60) and customized sizes available upon request
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    I could not agree more. I know I do not "need" more pixels or a new camera. But, then again I left "need" behind with my 65th birthday. So, now, I am firmly in play land and my wife does not like me to play with a new corvette. So bring on the new toys!
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    bengiman might be right for what he does but if you need to crop you need those pixels......a 100% crop on a 6 MP camera is going to be useless
    rmp said:

Ok, when do I sell my D810? Now, or after delivery of the D820?

I can think of a very deserving cause for that D810 Robert...
    Always learning.
    Nikon are going to have to do something more dramatic than a 46 MP D820 for the aniversary/ to interest me . Spending say £2500 on a camera little different from the 810 for weddings is a no no. The days of 40 easy to get bookings has changed to 10 difficult to get bookings ie expensive advertising . Also a delivery in Sept is a bit late and in any case I would wait for the price to drop. Even a new 810 at present best price grey £1666 is more expensive than the £1404 I paid 2 years ago...Interesting times .
    Let's see if it is a RGBW backside illuminated sensor good for one or more stops of improved DR and noise. If so, it will offer significant advantages. If all it does is offer 10 more megapixels that likely won't be significant for most people. Nikon's really "big next thing" is likely to be a number of mirrorless bodies.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    edited May 2017
    'Rumors are reporting a slightly higher MP count than 42. I would hope so since 42MP is an insignificant increment above the 36.3 that already exists in my D810. To Donaldejose, I am hoping that Nikon will re-engineer the Df into a mirrorless design. That would get my attention very quickly.
    Post edited by MegapixelSchnitzel on
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    There is no way it will have one or even half stop DR improvement. Since the 36Mp FX (5 years ago) and 24MP DX (4 years ago), there is only very incremental improvements. The past few sensors from Sony did not show much up trend. I think they have pretty much hit the ceiling on DR and noise, and any small improvement will take a lot of R&D effort. Resolution may be the only thing they can work on. Even that seems be difficult if high yield is to be achieved.
    Recently improvements have been only about one third of a stop. However, if the rumor that it will have better low and better high ISO that would indicate improvement of more than one third of a stop; hence my suggestion of perhaps a BSI and RBGW sensor.
    Doesn't the D5's AF float your boat guys?
    Always learning.
    Yes it does. However, it is "trickle down" and not something new. Improved low and high ISO is new. The implication is also improved dynamic range and that might mean a new type of sensor.
    edited May 2017
    The AF on the D500 is FAST!!!
    Post edited by rmp on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

Doesn't the D5's AF float your boat guys?

Why yes, yes it does!

Denver Shooter
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Yes, it rocks my boat. It sounds like a very good upgrade to an already excellent camera. Personally though I wish for an xqd/cf version, since I have a large compact flash collection. But I am happy anyways with my almost brand new D810.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    PS. I do think Nikon must go mirrorless, but that is another discussion. The D810 camera line is to great to be discontinued anytime soon, or before there is a really good replacement.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    snakebunk said:

PS. I do think Nikon must go mirrorless, but that is another discussion. The D810 camera line is to great to be discontinued anytime soon, or before there is a really good replacement.

Back Screens are going to have to work a whole lot better in direct sunlight and viewfinder screens are going to have to graduate from marginal to really, really good before I am going to entertain mirrorless..

And I suspect its going to be a long, long time before that happens..

Denver Shooter
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member

snakebunk said:

Back Screens are going to have to work a whole lot better in direct sunlight and viewfinder screens are going to have to graduate from marginal to really, really good before I am going to entertain mirrorless..

And I suspect its going to be a long, long time before that happens..

Denver Shooter
    +1
    There will be many years of overlap between Nikon DLSRs and Nikon mirrorless bodies. Many people will use both during that time because each will have certain strengths.
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    what they need is adjustable blinkies , i have a d500 and the blinkies on the jpeg back of camera are way to sensitive by nearly a stop, ive toned down the contrast and set at neutral to try to tame them a bit , but it would be better if they tried to replicate the blinkies of a raw file , whats the point if having blinkies if its easily recovered , i want to know the blinkies are showing not recoverable then i can shoot for the blinks
    WTF are blinkies ?