D850

1394041424345»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member

Possibly not, but a/ it isn't hard, and b/ Canon do it.

Yeah, add that to the list of things that they should just do.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    D810 + D500 = D810s

framer
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That would be one sweet camera framer.
    Always learning.
    Has anybody used the focus stacking facility? It strikes me as pretty unfathomable.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    No. but see www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYq_3NkAyZM
    Thanks for that link Donald.

My problem is that he didn't explain anything about the focus steps and the number of shots which is what I am finding unfathomable. It's all very well saying practice, practice, practice, but you could do 10,000 clicks and waste a week of your life trying to work out what they could have told us or at least given us a guide towards. I think Nikon should have given us a table of examples i.e. from a fairly two-dimensional butterfly at close range to a landscape shot including the same shots taken at different focal lengths. That would be better than nothing.
    Always learning.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @spraynpray Have you looked at the D850 Professional Technical Guide (Useful Features) that you can download from the D850 Product support page? It may have some of the information you are looking for and describes the functionality in a little more detail. I have used it and it does take a little bit of practice but once you get the hang of it is pretty amazing the images you can capture. I initial started using 100 shots, focus width of 5 and 00 for the shot interval that wasted a lot of time and shots learning the functionality. I switched to 20 and 30 shots instead of 100. I hope this helps.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I have not done it so I don't know. Maybe this reference can help? http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/tables/macromicrodof
    Thanks Guys, I'll take a look.
    Always learning.
    @vtc2002 - can't seem to find that on the Nikon UK site - have you a link please Vic?
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray The following are links to the Nikon USA website for the D850. Let me know if you have problems with accessing the link let me know. You can PM me and I will email you the document.

Link to download center for Nikon D850
    downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/359/D850.html

Link to download center D850 Technical Guide PDF
    download.nikonimglib.com/archive3/O1LUC00Ehgk603S4Vcm47v4V3J84/D850_TG_Tips_(En)02.pdf
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I have used the "focus shift" feature and it seems to work as described. I agree that the "stops" could have been more closely tied to the depth-of-field of the lens-and-f-stop in use. In fact, I will predict that in some future camera version the camera will consider lens, f-stop, and distance-to-nearest object to suggest a stops setting. AI is creeping into our cameras.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Those links work fine Vic thanks.

Role on ai!
    Always learning.
    Let me know if that guide helps.
    Yes Vic, it is excellent thanks - although there is a glaring mistake in the tables for the focus shifting guide! Apart from that though, it is very good.

Between you and Donald, I am sorted for info - many thanks.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I tried the focus stack. My mistake was leaving the 105 2.8 macro at f4 vs f8 or f16.
    Photoshop failed at creating the stack. I got the trial version to Helicon and it did better but I'm not happy. It was a user error here but I was also randomly guessing how many steps and photos. I decided to not do anything with that set. Maybe I'll try flowers again once winters goes away.