D7100

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Good idea. If it would be the same for all Nikons, why not - although you still can't do overhead shots with it and need to lay down for the floor shots.

Fortunately Nikon decided to make them all different. And I find myself already carrying a lot of accessories - such a viewfinder is really wasted money.

another three words: WLAN connected phone/ipod. Like Phase One could do - but stop, they already have a toucscreen. Tough photogs need buttons, the more the better. Did you ever use such a swivel display, @PB_PM? It's only a question.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2013
    I have used swivel screens on compact camcorders, and a friends Panasonic M4/3s camera. I never found them overly useful for my shooting style. Not to mention that they are basically useless in daylight. I don't do over the head shooting, and I don't mind lying on the ground for a shot, a little dirt never bothers me.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I had a D5K with the swing out screen and loved it. I am often unhappy that the D7K doesn't have one.
    Always learning.
    Question answered, thanks @PB_PM. I just never think of always taking all accessories with me, so a swivel display is something I already have on camera/s (G11 has also one).
    Here it was quite handy and here
    and here
    it got me the picture without thinking of an angle finder. Against sunlight most of the time my left hand gives enough shade.

Now, thanks again for giving me the idea of doing a series with this display :)
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I am still glad the D7k did not have a swivel screen. I would have broken it right off...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@ kyoshinikon, to each his own. The swivel screen would make a terrific add on for me for additional reach up and down. As an old reporter, getting those POVs add dimensions to the story I would welcome without the muss and fuss. Breaking the swivel off is unlikely to happen, IMHO.

Different stokes...

My best,

Mike
  • BrucePhotographyBrucePhotography Posts: 40Member
    Hi all,

@ kyoshinikon, to each his own. The swivel screen would make a terrific add on for me for additional reach up and down. As an old reporter, getting those POVs add dimensions to the story I would welcome without the muss and fuss. Breaking the swivel off is unlikely to happen, IMHO.

Different stokes...

My best,

Mike
    +1 to MikeGunter, I have extensively used the Canon 60D and I love the tilt screen. So many times I'd like to get a really low view but I the circumstances are that I just can't fall down on the ground. The 60D is a real godsend for do low level macro shots. Also who says you have to swivel it out if you don't want to. You can keep it like a conventional screen if that is what you want to do. Once you try it, however, you won't want to limit your shots any more. I really do wish the D7100 had a good tilt screen. Heck, I wish all Dslrs had a big, good tilt screen.

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Lol. I definitely see a use for it. I just like my gear hardy. I would love to access liveview wirelessley through a tablet. I do many overhead shots for work and use a superwide and my monopod to get them... A "viewfinder" view would help. That self timer on the D7k is a godsend tho
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    The trick with a swivel screen is not to be an idiot with it which, judging by the youtube videos that came out with the D5000 is not easy for some owners. There are no points for deploying it in a millisecond - don't forget, you would not even have got the shot in some cases without it, so playing the "I have to be fast to get that great shot" card is stooopid.

I needed to be a metre higher than head height to get a shot with my D7K the other night, but I missed the shot due to not getting the angle right with it held up high. You youngsters wait until your joints creak - then you will see the sense in them.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think the swivel would certainly be good for some of the shots I have done...like the auto show, recent group shots, or anytime I have it on a monopod to access a viewpoint not possible any other way. But, in the future, my guess of course, we will see a pair of glasses which one can wear and see in a virtual image a tethered image of what the camera is seeing, allowing an even better view when out on the end of a stick. Sort of like Google's virtual reality glasses, maybe.
    Msmoto, mod
  • shutterdancershutterdancer Posts: 21Member
    Msmoto...that would be much better than a tilt/swivel screen,and soon EVERY camera will come with built in wi-fi......why they don't already is a mystery to me!
    If these glasses bring their own camera, they bring as well their own problems. Regarding the experiences of those rare glass users, the inbuilt camera is clearly recognized as such (which is a good thing, so it's owner will not be accused for cheating) and how would you remote control the cam?

I tried to create my own iWatch with a new iPod touch and an arm-/wristband, using CamRanger to remote control. I wanted and got a hands-free holder for the screen and got also:
    clumsy design with cable, additional device with own (spare) battery
    would need one big battery for extensive use of LiveView - but consumes cam battery quite fast.
    difficult to read in bright sunlight because of the additional glossy touch foil
    Not usable, if the camera has to be placed out of my hand's reach and a zoom is mounted
    To get height, a telescopic center column is great - unfortunately also heavy and less stable

I just tried a combination of 4 segments of a monopod and a Gitzo systematic. The height of this "big wobble" is 2.66 m, huge, but sometimes not worth the effort.

Best in aspect of simple and stupid is a long and lightweight monopod, the swivel screen of D5100/D5200 and an infrared control.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I took my new D7100 for its first outing this weekend and was very happy with it.

The first thing I liked about it was everything worked. It shot well in the night time hours without a flash (shooting drag bikes). There was some noise but not a lot for a DX camera, very pleased. All my stills were shot in jpeg this time (normally everything I shoot is in RAW) and I'll be continuing to shoot in jpeg because of how well it did.

I shot some video for the first time and it worked great, I didn't but I'll eventually get the hang of it. It had a bit of a time focusing (video) at times but I was shooting at night and expected it. What really surprised me was the sound control. I was shooting with an external mic and the D7100 compensated for the loud motorcycle engines all on its own.

I see where it has a 1.3 or 1.5x zoom option. I didn't use it but will try it out shooting drag boats this coming weekend and let you know how it does.

For a DX camera I'm giving it a grade of A+, and I'm a picky old buzzard when it comes to my gear.

Here's a couple of stills shot in tough conditions for examples:

This was shot with the sun directly behind him, cropped about 50%.
    Brian Starting Line

I used a little Topaz DeNoise5 on this night shot.
    Lisa Winning Run
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks for sharing your comments on our first outing. Very nice pictures.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    treated myself to a d7100 yesterday ,my two other cameras needed upgrading imho and after a lot of soul searching i decided to stay with nikon and try this one out .only taken a few garden test shots so far ,but it seems sharp as a razor.
    i think i,m gonna fall in love with the 1.3 crop mode ,and the led's in viewfinder are a boon as well .gonna have to get a battery grip (generic will do ) as its just a bit to small for my big mutt hands ,but that aside it was a good choice .
    my other path which i never took would have been going back to canon and getting a 6 year old 10mp pro body and changing all my lenses .i went for a brand new up date camera with 2 year warranty instead of a more expensive 6 year old one with 3 months warranty .as the knight said to indiana jones you have chosen wisely LOL
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    edited July 2013
    had a play with it yesterday and very impressed so far ,the definition is in another class i have renamed this camera the D71-0H-0MG .stunned by it so far .

Post edited by blackfox on
  • PhotophunPhotophun Posts: 43Member
    I do love my D7100 but... There is an oil spot that I could not remove and so the camera went off to Nikon Canada in Richmond. Was quite surprised that I must pay to have it removed. One would think they would offer better customer service on a 3 month old camera?
    I doubt you'll end up paying anything. I had my D700 cleaned free several times at the Richmond Repair center. Then again I just walked in...
    I walked in as well and they charged me. Not to happy about paying for cleaning a stubbern caked on oil spot from my sensor on a 3 month old camera.
    Did you have your warranty papers and receipt?
    Sure did and was told no, this is not covered under warranty. Mind you, it may just be the staff I was dealing with as I felt like I was interrupting their day at work. As you had a much better experience, you must either be far better looking than me or have a smile that can work wonders.
    edited August 2013
    I guess the other difference could be the level of gear I have? Maybe users of higher end gear simply get better treatment?

I find the staff there is mixed. Some of them are great, more customer service type, while others are just engineers who get shoehorned into customer service when the reps are on their lunch.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    This should have been covered by the warranty.

I would right a letter to Nikon with copies of the receipt and warranty info. Be nice and explain your disappointment that this was not covered under the warranty. This is not normal and should be covered by the warranty.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I am still glad the D7k did not have a swivel screen. I would have broken it right off...
    Hi all,

Different stokes...

My best,

Mike
    Really late to the discussion, but I can see the merits of a swivel screen. However, I'm not sure how durable it can be.

For those who want it, I guess you could get around it by using live view. You're not going to get fast AF but at least you'll get something. I used that for some hard to get shots at an auto show. Hold it stead was a problem though.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Truth is that some people can break anything and others never break anything. If people can stop themselves using it pointlessly and carelessly, it will be perfect. Live view on macro is excellent as well as overhead (crowd) shots.

I had it on the D5000 - it was great. I saw some dumb mutts on YouTube flipping it in and out like gunslingers - duh! You make your own luck to a large extent.
    Always learning.