D4, Discussion, Questions, and Answers

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited December 2012 in D3/D4/D5
I think this will help... a place to chat D4 stuff
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I love my D4. With that out of the way. I would like to know if anyone has changed the default buttons from what they have been programed.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • GenghisHotepGenghisHotep Posts: 15Member
    Love my D4 too. Haven't changed any of the buttons. Only downside is size and weight, but who cares? It's a bloody art machine!

I do have a question, anyone have problems with the QXD card readers? I have three and one has died already. Really surprised me. Curious if this might be a common thing.
    GenghisHotep On my MacBook Pro I went ahead and got myself a XQD Express Card Reader that fits right into my laptop. What type of computer system do you have?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I have changed some button settings.
    I set up the "new joystick" button to AF/AE Lock so I can focus and pan (actually both buttons). It only works when you press the actuation button fast after panning, if you mess around too long it seems that the camera overrules the AF/AE Lock. Anybody else have this experience?
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Hi Benji, I noticed the same thing. Actually I do not know, whether it is a matter of time, or distance on how far you pan away from your focus point. I did not pay too much attention to it, because I do lock the focus most of the times with the shutter button. 

Genghis, I did not have any problem with the XQD card reader so far. Mine took even a bad hit, so the housing has a dent. But still works like a charm. 

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My XQD Card has been in and out of the reader about 1000 times as I have almost 18,000 clicks on the D4. No problem.  I have set the function button on the front for virtual horizon which shows up nicely in the viewfinder.  But, one must turn it off if you want to use the meter reading on the side as the VH uses this as a guide.
    Msmoto, mod
  • squibcakessquibcakes Posts: 6Member
    Hi.

I´m very close to buy the NIKON D4, and all in all I think, from what I have read so far, and I have tested the camera a few times, that it´s an awesome upgrade from the NIKON D3 that I have now.

I like to know if there´s any one of you, who have bought this camera, if anyone of you have some problems with the green tint on the LCD screen.

I have talked with NIKON here in Denmark where I live about this, and they say that it´s the bests solution because the colour will be more accurate. I have my doubt.

I like to hear your comments and experience about this green tint on the LCD, and if there´s any way to fix it.
    Thank´s in advance. 
  • GenghisHotepGenghisHotep Posts: 15Member
    @Golf007sd Also have MBP (Retina) and it's got an SD card reader built in. Does the QXD Express reader fit into that slot? If so, how do you cram a QXD card into it? Looks too small.

And to Squibcakes, I have a D4 and a D800 and never noticed any green tint on either LCDs, despite many people reporting a tint problem. The D4 is the ultimate camera; it continues to amaze me. You can do anything with it.

And thanks MsMoto, good to know your reader is so durable. I've got two more readers that work. When the bad one went bad I was shooting birds and away from my office so, luckily, the camera's USB port came in awfully handy!

• zernickezernicke Posts: 14Member
    I recently noticed that when processing Nikon D4 RAW images on Aperture that the colors are not correct.  Specifically, if I set the white balance to a k value (such as 5600 for indoor strobes) that they come out at about 6100+ and too yellow.  Since they are RAW I can fix them, but kind of annoying.  Interestingly, this is not a problem with the D3s.  Also when I look at the metadata, the white balance says it is set to "auto" and the color space is Adobe even though it is set at sRGB.  I have found a few other people reporting this as well.  I get similar findings outdoors with strobes, always the color temp is about 6100.  The JPEG's are fine.  Anyone else notice this or have an idea?  I have put it on the Apple site.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
      Anyone else notice this or have an idea? 
    Get Lightroom 4.3?  :D
    Always learning.
  • zernickezernicke Posts: 14Member
    I heard it was kind of slow with a large library, what is your experience?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Well, I think there is a lot of fiction talked about that subject.  I have a fairly normal spec PC - 3Ghz quad core, 8Gb RAM, decent graphics card and SSD and now don't get a problem.  The last item I changed was the graphics card and that gave me a similar boost in speed as changing the 7200RPM HDD to SSD.  On the subject of large libraries, I listened to a podcast today which had Martin Evening as a guest - he writes in-depth books on Lightroom and Photoshop - and he now recommends one large catalogue!

For the price I think it is unbeatable.  Not a replacement for Photoshop, I still use that via the right click 'edit in' facility.
    Always learning.
    squibcakes: I have not had any issue with my LCD screen. Yet, I still have not come across another D4 owner to compare mine with theirs.

zernicke  I too would recommend you going the Lightroom 4.3 route. I find that is color rendition is far better than Apertures. 

GenghisHotep: I have the MBP 17" which came with an Express Card Slot verses the SD Slot. I have my original Sony XQD reader and for the time I used it, it worked perfectly. Have you called Sony or Nikon to see if they will replace the defective unit for you?

I would like to know if their any an add-on's that anyone of you have purchased in order to make your usage of the D4 more rewarding. The three items that I highly recommend you all getting are as follows:

squibcakes: I have not had any issue with my D4 LCD. I have yet to run into another D4 user to compare my LCD with theirs. 

zernicke I have to admit, I always play with my white balance, in post. Yet, for those times that I have not, I have not found any of the issue you are referring to. Also, I have found that Lightroom 4.3 does a much better job in color than Aperture. I really would recommend you giving it a LR a try. 

GenghisHotep: My MBP is the 17" model which at the time I purchased it, it has the Express Slot verses the SD Slot. I still have the Sony reader that came with my D4 and for the short time I used it, it never had an issue. In fact, I just pulled it out to test and all is OK. Have you called Sony to see if they will exchange the defective unit for you?

Three items that I would highly recommend for each of you to consider getting:  

With that said, what add-on have you purchased in order to make your D4 more useful. 
    I have not realized a green tint on the LCD even in comparison to the D700. My camera is set to adobe color space, why settle for the smaller color space?
    There is only a green tint if you think there is.  The fact is, our brain cannot remember colors, nor can it judge colors because the ambient colors are influencing this way too much.  Otherwise when we are under fluorescent lights, everyone would appear green and under tungsten bulbs we would all appear yellow. But our brain compensates for this and we think the color is normal or correct in a wide variety of situations.   The viewer is most likely more accurate but some of us were used to a red tint in the older cameras.

I cannot imagine myself trying to judge color from the screen on the back.  The ability to easily change color temperature in post makes it for me a non-entity.
    Msmoto, mod
  • tfleecetfleece Posts: 3Member
    Just a question

Has anyone changed the image review settings to have the up and down buttons on the mulit selector to go to next image in horizontal orientation ?  I can't seem to get it changed from left right to up & down and it driving me nuts

D4, D4, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII 2.8, 85 1.4, 300 2.8, 3 SB-910, 1.4 tele
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    Also when I look at the metadata, the white balance says it is set to "auto" and the color space is Adobe even though it is set at sRGB.  I have found a few other people reporting this as well.  I get similar findings outdoors with strobes, always the color temp is about 6100.  The JPEG's are fine.  Anyone else notice this or have an idea?  I have put it on the Apple site.
    I cannot comment on the white balance problem, but the color space one is not really a problem. Raw files do not have a color space (that's why they are called "raw"). What you set in the camera is how a Nikon application like ViewNX or Capture should interpret the raw file - either using AdobeRGB or sRGB. Aperture simply ignores that setting and converts the raw file into an internal color space - and I believe Lightroom does the same thing but I am not sure. Only when you export the image you will select what color space to use.
  • Bought the DK-19 a few days ago. No help at all if you use eye glasses. Just doesnt feel right, almost like a blockage to your face
  • tog4tog4 Posts: 8Member
    I have a Nikon D4 and i have had nothing but trouble with it. Its not fast (AF) or sharp the so called up grades (fixes) just don't seem to have done anything ,O except take away the green tinge. It still stops working i.e. it will not focus at all screen says F0 like there is no lens connected. AF is slow i think not any faster then D3s
    . it hunts way to much even trying to slow down the AF makes no difference, i got rid of my D3s BIG mistake
    so I'm getting rid of this and going back to the D3s much better camera less noise better iso low light. This camera is like the canon mk3 shit focus AF not any wear near as good as the D3s.For the price theses people want is a joke they release theses to quick before fully testing them come on Nikon get  your shit together 
    this is peoples hard earned money get it write before you release. 
  • neversinkneversink Posts: 6Member
    Ms. Moto... Call the green tint any color you want... I still see green!!! At least it doesn't translate to the computer screen once images are downloaded. So, what am I really seeing given your theory that "There is only a green tint if you think there is."

I'm not seeing a green tint according to you. What am I seeing then? A red tint? a blue tint? No tint at all? In the same vein, If I am not seeing the green tint in the image on my computer, it must be there. Am I missing something??? OY!!

Your color theory has given me a headache!
    :-O

• neversinkneversink Posts: 6Member
    tog4 - You must have gotten a lemon. I have one of the first issues of the D4 and never had any focusing problems. You need to exchange it. It is the fastest AF I have ever witnessed.

I took a picture series of my son jumping into a pool from a diving board. 24 pictures with varying distances, all razor sharp.
    ;tog4

Suspect you have a lemon.  Sorry about that.  But, these do exist and my guess is if documented with the objective data regarding all the problems, you should be able to receive a new camera.  My suggestion is to have an independent observer measure the problems of focus speed, hunting, etc., and send this data to Nikon in a registered letter.  Possibly do this on video.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2012
    About color:
    I am not suggesting the green tint is not present to some.  What I am saying is that based on hundreds of thousands of experiences shooting up to 11" x 14" transparency material in the late 1960's when the color had to be "camera ready" for the separation folks, we had extensive color viewing areas set up and were able to demonstrate six different fluorescent lighting scenes, three incandescent scenes and daylight, which showed the same object would actually appear green, red, blue, based on the source and the color temperature of the viewing conditions.  Thus the problem Nikon is facing, having had a warm viewfinder in earlier bodies, has cooled this off and made it what some of us call "greenish."   
    And, almost everyone sees colors differently.  The extreme is in those who are "color blind".
    However, color is very subjective and if we see the viewfinder as greenish and Nikon is willing to change this, go for it.  There is no right or wrong in the color until final production.  This is why some folks do not see a green tint in their viewfinder.  You have brought out a point, and I am going to try and grab a couple other Nikon bodies, shoot the same subject, then look at the images in the viewer.  And, my guess is the D4 may be the "green" one when compared to the older bodies.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod