D4, Discussion, Questions, and Answers

124»

Comments

• tog4tog4 Posts: 8Member
    @Msmoto I do believe that you yourself made that comment of LEMON to me in an earlier message
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Yup, I did say "suspect you have a lemon". But, this was a guess as you had had so many issues with the camera and I believe you were returning it at that time. My statement was in support of your actions.

And I stand corrected on my post of having not heard of a lemon. It is something I have not actually seen myself.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    @tog4, you are not impressed by the D4? If you thought, the D4 makes you a better photographer, you are right, it doesn't. It does provide you with a lot of tools which are improving your workflow as well as your results in challenging situations.
    The firmware updates we have seen to the D4 did not change the camera (or the skill of the Photographer). Improving the limitations of physics with software, like distortion control of lenses at certain apertures, does not indicate the camera was a 'lemon'. I call this continues product support, rather than a rushed out product.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited January 2013
    D4 users may like this video better than the prior one.

Post edited by donaldejose on
  • TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    @tog4, you are not impressed by the D4? If you thought, the D4 makes you a better photographer, you are right, it doesn't. It does provide you with a lot of tools which are improving your workflow as well as your results in challenging situations.
    The firmware updates we have seen to the D4 did not change the camera (or the skill of the Photographer). Improving the limitations of physics with software, like distortion control of lenses at certain apertures, does not indicate the camera was a 'lemon'. I call this continues product support, rather than a rushed out product.
    Jürgen
    Jurgen, + 1

Regarding the D4 (having the D3s too), I think they could have go further in ergonomics ( % of zoom on the LCD, OEM fast strap system - when swapping from, say, 300mm to smaller lenses, USB 3.0 for cable transfer, 2 x XQD or 2 x CF in option, etc. "would be nice" details ... ) but overall, it's great.

I'm not totally convinced vs the D3s with its sensor (bigger, but ... ) and found it more harsh (image speaking) than the D3s. AF is very good but not better as it's older brother.

Great, but not impressive vs D3s ... ;-)
  • DY8DY8 Posts: 13Member
    wow, why would anyone complain about a company that supports their products by issuing firmware upgrades?? Or otherwise suggest their products are lemons as a result. That's the whole point of firmware upgradability. I complain that Nikon DIDN'T issue a firmware upgrade for the SB-900 to fix the overheating issue and instead created the SB-910. This latest upgrade fixes something I didn't even know was wrong and I use AF-C all the time; so as far as I'm concerned they just made my great camera an even greater camera.
  • Moreover, the low light performance of the D4 is better, than the D3's bodies by a small margin
    I'm sorry but I can't agree - based on what I've read recently. Obviously the D4 is a wonderful camera - you've got one, and I'd be more than surprised if you started slagging it off :D However the fact remains that when we get to this level of sophistication ANY of the top players will produce stunning images -but only if the person taking the picture knows what they're doing.

Personal aside: I'd hardly call the D4 a lemon....
  • The firmware updates we have seen to the D4 did not change the camera (or the skill of the Photographer)
    Couldn't agree more - in fact (and this comment should actually appear in 'What we'd like to see in 2013') I would be glad if there were some human firmware updates to correct a whole series of 'popular' misconceptions regarding photography...

:-))
    edited February 2013
    OK, a note...I updated the Firmware on my D4 and it still works...so miracles do happen. Make certain if you plan on doing this yourself, you open the Zip file as it will not work if this is not unzipped.

This is the D4 A:1.04 / B:1.02 firmware upgrade download for those interested, released on January 29, 2013.

@ darkslide

If you check here http://www.sensorgen.info you will see the measurements on the D4 sensor are far superior to the D3s. I suspect those who have experienced the D4 as better than the D3s are utilizing the advantages as demonstrated on this link.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • squibcakessquibcakes Posts: 6Member
    Hi.
    I like to know if any of you here on this forum still have the green color problem on your LCD-screen after you have maked the Nikon firmware update (1.02)?

I´m thinking of buying this great camera, but it´s a lot of money and at the same time geting the green tint screen.

Look forward to hear from you, Thank´s in advance.
    Hi, I have a D4 from very early in the delivery. My body is updated to the latest version.

As I would never use the monitor on any camera to judge the color balance except in a very gross way, I may not be the one to say what I am going to say. But, IIMO I have never noticed any green tint. If one was used to the warmer color on a D3s, it may be green, but my suggestion would be for you to examine the camera and decide for yourself. Most of those who have a D4 find it is a very good camera. You will see a lot of interesting photos on PAD some shot with a D4.
    Msmoto, mod
  • challydeanochallydeano Posts: 28Member
    Who cares what color tinge there is - just remove in post.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I usually find that people who knock a particular camera don't actual own one
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Just looked at my D4 and my D800E and don't see any color difference between the two monitors.
    @DenverShooter

Same for me....looking at the monitor, all the different viewing conditions, not very reliable. But, what I do find useful is the histogram, lets me know if I have screwed up a little or a lot....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I don't know about the D4 but the D4s is pretty good. Additionally there is a monitor adjust somewhere buried in the settings. While I wouldn't call a D4 a lemon I noticed a big difference between the cameras as I did with the D3 & D3s. The subtle things make a huge difference.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson