D4, Discussion, Questions, and Answers

Comments

• TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    edited December 2012
    Superb quality and performances (even though I think the D3s is still better in low light sports). Very tough and a good battery life (same as D3s, so ... very good). Maybe some refinement should have been made (cosmetics, in the same vein of the lighted buttons) while "upgrading" the D3s.

I love both D4 and D3s but for my activity, sports, there's no clear winner.

So my wishlist for the D4 is :

1. An OEM fast strap clip system (if you often use a, say, 300mm F2.8 with it's own strap and back to 35mm on the same session)
    2. The option to show the informations panel on the big back LCD permanently (or shut it off if necessary), just like, eeeeuurg, Canon do.
    3. Some option to lock near some "thumb/finger" buttons of necessary without having to remove button action.
    4. Place the dioptric button elsewhere (too close from the eye, so precise stting is a bit tricky)
    5 Well ... the option to have 2 x XQD, or 2 x CF, or the default XQD + CF ... at the price of the camera, and even though it would cost a bit more, a nice move to customize the beast. XQD is nice, but I didn't felt the speed difference. But XQD reader is in USB 3.0 which is nice...

Details details ... well, I don't think so. It makes all the difference.

By the way, is the internal USB transfer system in USB 3.0 too ?? 

Post edited by Tabazan on
  • GenghisHotepGenghisHotep Posts: 15Member
    MsMoto, I believe, nailed the color controversy. Very well put.

And Tabazan's question is a good one: is the internal USB on the D4 running at USB 3.0 speeds?

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2012
    The D800 and D600 are the only current Nikon bodies that have USB3.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    • Question about D4 exposure.....

Hi,
      I had a D3 before, which worked great. My D4 however, seems to have a tendency to overexpose pictures. Normally, Nikon cameras seem to underexpose rather than overexpose. At least this is my impression from D70 and D3. In 100 pictures at least 2 are overexposed. I turned it in twice but Nikon said, they'd re-calibrated it. However, while it doesn't happen that often anymore, it's still there...

So here are my questions:
      1. Does the D4 expose differently than the D3 (P-Programs)?
      2. How can I confirm or test at home if the camera exposes correctly?
      Regards
      Hartmut

Msmoto, mod
    And, as to exposure issues with the D4....at 18,000 clicks, I have had a few which seemed to be over slightly...half to one f/stop.  At checking I had the exposure on either spot or center weighted and the spot was hitting a dark area.  No problems when using matrix metering.

The test...shoot a gray card with matrix metering on P, enough light (constant source) to be shooting at a usual exposure level.  Like, do not use half second or something like that.

Change minimum shutter speed, use various settings in all modes, and see if the gray card looks the same in all images.  

Additionally, in shooting outside, make certain the manual mode is not set to a wide aperture, slow speed in bright light so as to make the camera unable to lower the ISO enough to prevent an overexposure.
    Msmoto, mod
  • DY8DY8 Posts: 13Member
    I've had my D4 since April and have to say it is simply the best camera I have ever owned or used. (D80, D300, D700). I shoot mainly portraits and wedding. I've never felt so free to concentrate on creating images and spend less time thinking of the equipment. Here's why. This camera performs consistently! Focus and exposure are right on and only makes a mistake when it's your own damn fault. I shoot in Manual mode 90% of the time controlling aperture, shutter and ISO, but for the first time ever I can feel confident allowing the camera to make a decision for me...ISO setting. I'm happy to set ISO-auto during an event and shoot away, turning it off when I have specific artistic reason. I've reset the video record button to be the ISO setting so when pressed the main command dial changes ISO and the sub-command dial turns AUTO on/off. This allows my right hand to control almost everything I need.  Also for the first time, I can set the camera to matrix metering and forget about it; no need for centre or spot for me anymore.
     The differences of the D4 to the D3 (though my use of the D3 was limited) is on the level of comparing a Mac to a PC. What's better on the D4 is appreciated most when in use, not from looking at spec on paper. Apart from the obvious fast performance, great AF and awesome exposure decisions, here are some of my favourite features:
    -fantastic ergonomics in vertical orientation, truly has reduced fatigue
    -I actually find the overall weight to be light for a pro camera and appreciably lighter than the D3
    -store focus point by orientation
    -in image preview the face recognition feature is super handy!
    -the joysticks are great for focus point control
    -ability to have a completely distraction-free screen for image preview
    -love having instant access to 1.5x zoom just by selecting DX image mode
    -BUILT-IN Network is just awesome for when I'm working in the studio allowing wireless preview on my iPad (I created a $60 near wireless solution in favour of the WT-5A)

The worst thing about the D4 is how it made me feel about my D700.
  • JamesJames Posts: 1Member
    I've had my D4 for a month now.  Primarily, I shoot sports teams with the occasional family portrait for friends.  Despite the occasional paycheck for these side-jobs, I still consider myself to be a novice.  I upgraded from a D90 that I've had since 2008.  I bought the D90 to resolve frustrations I was having with a Kodak DX4530 trying to get any decent pictures of bodies in motion in bad light.  None of my cameras were purchased for the video capabilities they possessed, including my D4; however, I have used both stills and movie clips of all three for similar sporting events.

As my second DSLR, most of the reasons why I chose the D4 were things I learned trying to shoot sports, at first as a parent, then as a the designated team photographer, and more so as a burgeoning semi-pro.  I needed a setup to handle high ISO with fast shutter speed and a high continuous shooting rate.

The change from the Kodak to the D90 was amazing in terms of the responsiveness and control.  Despite the challenge of high ISO to get decent shutter speed in poor indoor lighting, I felt like I had a fighting chance for a few good shots with an f/2.8 tele lenses.  With the D4, high ISO is no longer a problem; the continuous shooting speed and large buffer allow me to catch much more of the critical action moments.  Overall the D4 is a joy to shoot, and I find my biggest challenges are learning how to most effectively use this powerful tool.

In addition to shooting the teams, I spend a substantial amount of time at the practices as a parent.  I have found that it is occasionally productive for kids to see what they are doing well or poorly to help them improve.  It began with my child and spread to the other kids asking that I take a picture or video so they could see what they were doing wrong.  With regards to video, the Kodak was only slightly better than my camera phone at the time.  Even so, it was the only way I could catch certain items given the shutter lag.  With the D90, the better video quality was tempered with the short clip limit, the auto focus limitations, and the rolling shutter issues.  While it was much more useful for showing my kid, I still used videos very sparingly.  With the D4, the video clip limit has been raised to a more useful time, and the other issues I had are gone.  Additionally, the video quality is so much better.  The two options for 1080p/30 were more useful than I had expected, but the 720p/60 gives me just fast enough frame rate to see the motion clearly, and still smooth at half-speed.  It has been so effective, that now the coaches ask me to video the kids needing extra help.

One other caveat worth mentioning is that I had an old install of Nikon Transfer that I was using, and the files from my first days outing with the D4 were corrupted by the Nikon Transfer application.  Just in case anyone has the same issue, the fix can be found at Phil Harvey's ExifTool site - [http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html].

Regarding software...  Presently, I am running Windows XP Pro 64, and I use DxO Elite 8 for RAW processing and export to LR3 (which cannot handle the D4 raw files).  Within LR3, I use a few NIK plugins and Photoshop CS6 for adjustments.  I am not a fan of the direction Windows is going, nor am I a Mac or
    tablet person.  Is anyone using Linux/BSD based tools for pro-quality
    workflows?
  • Herbie49Herbie49 Posts: 1Member
    "Wobbly" memory card door
    I'm happy with my D4, which replaces my D700 (serves as a back-up now), but there is one thing that annoys me: The memory card door - which, incidentally, is the place where your thumb is placed when using the camera - slightly moves, the door is just a tiny bit too small. So, when operating the camera, the place where your thumb rests feels somehow "wobbly", if you know what I mean. In an early review by a US photo mag I read the same complaint. When I recently contacted Nikon Switzerland they claimed I was the first person to complain and that they could do nothing about it. The guy there even went as far as calling my complaint "a whim" (actually he used the German word for "fart"). True enough, the slack hinges do not impair the camera's functionality, but they do not correspond to the otherwise very good build quality. Has anyone of you encountered the same problem?
  • TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    @tog4

A lemon, surely.

D4 is fast. Very fast. IMO a bit slower than D3s, but at this level of speed, taking the righ picture depends more on the photographer than the gear.

Sharp ? Well, just use the micro adjustment for each lens. Front or back focus is a reality even on the expensive lenses (for Sigma, it's a tradition ;-) . The camera might also be touched by the FF or BF issue, in that case, back to Nikon service.

The problem with the D4 is ... when you come from the D3s which is almost the perfect camera, D4 seems not adding value. I also felt tempted to send back my D4 after some days thinking that the D3s is still much better, and get a second D3s for backup. And finally not.

D4 is a great camera with finally few youth diseases (D800 and D600 problems seems more embarrassing) . Surely Nikon will do some good job at correcting all these bugs through firmware updates.

Think only that D3s will not be better than it is now (I don't believe Nikon will put 1 pound more on firmware), but the D4 will.

But keeping a D3s is still tempting
    :>
  • tog4tog4 Posts: 8Member
    @MsMoto @neversink. Yes i had gathered that it was a lemon and it was one of the first also. Never mind these things happen, I have got to take it back and hopefully get it replaced or my money back. many thanks for all replays 
    on the forum. A Very Happy New Year to one and all.  Namasta
  • squibcakessquibcakes Posts: 6Member
    edited December 2012
    QUESTION ABOUT THE AUTOFOCUS SPEED ON THE D4. ( COMPARED TO THE NIKON D3 )

First of all I will wish all of you a Happy New Year.

Thank´s for your comments about my " Green-Tint-Question " on the D4.
    I have tried the D4, and I was surprised to see, that the speed of the auto-focus wasn´t as fast as I expected it to be.

I have a NIKON D3 now, and I expected the D4 to be faster in the autofocus speed, but it´s not.
    Is there anyone of you who have some comments or experience about  this?

Besides this question, I can only see advantage about the D4 compared to my D3.

Happy New Year..........Remember to take care of your eyes.....You gonna useém next year :-)))
    SQUIBCAKES

Post edited by squibcakes on
  • zernickezernicke Posts: 14Member
    I have a D3s and a D4 and they are both so fast to focus, it is hard to tell which is faster, but I would put my money on the D4 as sometimes the D3s has a little more trouble finding the focus.  When I put the D4 on "C" mode for action with the setting 'release then focus' option, it fires at a full 10+ frames per second and almost every single frame is in perfect focus.  I would be happy to give someone my D3s and $2000 for another D4.

As to my earlier comment about the color temperature in Aperture being incorrect, I have found that if I set the color temperature in camera to 500 degrees lower than the known temperature of my strobe lights, then it reduces the higher default temperature (which was 500 degrees off too high) in the software to the exact correct setting.  This kind of proves that there is a bug in the Apple Aperture program as to how it translates the in camera color temperature when shooting RAW.  Now the JPEG previews, and the RAW images are very similar.   I do not have to post-process the color temperature on every single photos with this change.

I do not use Photoshop, have tried Lightroom (3.x) and really did not like the workflow as much as Aperture.  I have a huge library in this program, plugins, etc. and really do not plan on switching.  I also do a lot of video editing, and it is a nice fit with FCP X.
  • AMusingFoolAMusingFool Posts: 5Member
    'Lo, all.

Like James, I got my D4 as an upgrade from a D90 I'd gotten in '08.  And it was an immense upgrade (perhaps not quite as much as the price would indicate, but still huge).  I've had no complaints about it; I think the only thing limiting my shooting now is me (well, on occasion, lenses as well; but mostly me).

I don't know how the exposure compares to a D3, but it definitely underexposes compared to my D90 (well, comparing similar shots between the two, I think it would be more accurate to say the D90 tends to overexpose).

As far as accessories, I've gotten a ZyXel MWR211 wireless router (battery-powered :), a Vello Freewave wireless trigger, an extra battery, and (of course) an RRS L-plate.  I just got the right-angle viewfinder as well, but haven't used it yet.

For the green cast, I never noticed it, but I just upgraded the firmware a week or so ago to the 1.03.  Boy, reds and blues sure pop on the rear LCD now.  Was wondering what had happened (when I noticed that, a couple of days later), until I remembered the firmware.  Not too sure what to make of it, except that the reds and blues are definitely much brighter than they should be (ie: than in reality).  But since it's just on the LCD, mostly taking a "don't care" approach to it.

Am curious, what kind of battery life have people gotten?  I only get 1100 or so shots per charge, which, while enough for my needs, is well short of what I'd been led to expect.

Now, if Lexar would just get their XQD cards out...

Oh, and someone asked about the USB on the camera.  Not 3.0.  Not sure what they were thinking of, on that one.  Too, not sure why not gigabit on the ethernet port.
    "Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"
    @herbie49 I agree the wobbliness of the memory card door is disconcerting, especially on a flagship camera. Every D4 I've handled including mine is like that, so it's not a defect as much as it is a design oversight.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    squibcakes: What lens were you using when you tested out the D4? The AF's system on the D4 is very responsive. 

AMusingFool I agree with you on that Nikon did drop the ball on not incorporation USB 3.0 in the D4. That said, I would argue that most photographers do not import their images directly from the camera itself. I for example, pull my memory card out and plug it right into the laptop. On my MBP 17" I purchased a XQD card that goes right into my Express Card slot and I'm good to go. 
    As for the battery life, I have shot all shot over 800 images, in addition to long exposure while doing HDR photography, and I have not yet had the opportunity to pull out my backup battery to use. I for one have been very pleased with the battery life. 

With respect to the memory door...I have no issue here. Flops open nicely and snaps back into place as intended. 
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It's rather interesting that a few well known Nikon photographers think Nikon might release a D4s or D4h as early as this upcoming winter, to drop XQD. 
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited January 2013
    As much as I would like to move to a D4, my Getty friends keep whining that it's noisier than their D3s bodies at ISO 3,200 (I don't mean to start a debate--this is just what they're telling me, and no, they're probably not down-sampling when comparing). DxO figures do confirm a slightly lower noise floor for the D3s. However, if I moved to a D4, I would really be compromised by having mis-matched bodies (a D3s and a D4), so I think I've settled into looking for a second, used, D3s.
    Post edited by studio460 on
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    @Golf007sd.  I was using the new 24mm 1,4 lens. What surprised me a lot is, that i felt it took a very long time to focusing from one point to another point ( Very long time, is the same time as if the lens were on my D3 ), and I find it somehow sloppy that NIKON didn´t get more attention to the speed of the autofocus ( I`m not thinking about the autofocus in the HD-video ).

I have recieved some comments from people here in this forum, using NIKON D3s and have upgraded to D4.

That´s not what I´m looking for, so therefor I´ll try again.

IS THERE ANYONE THAT HAVE UPGRADED FROM A NIKON D3 TO NIKON D4, THAT CAN TELL ME IF THERE´S ANY DIFFRENTS IN THE AUTOFOCUS SPEED. ( USING A 24MM. OR A 35MM. LENS )
    I THINK BOTH OF THE CAMERA´S ARE SLOW IN GETTING FROM ONE POINT TO ANOTHER.

THANK´S IN ADVANCE.

I like to know if there´s any rumors about dropping the XQD-card, and where to find more information about that

@squibcakes  Just want to throw this out for consideration regarding your D4 focus speed. What is the setting you have for "Focus Tracking with Lock on"?  If its not already set to OFF or 1(short), perhaps you can give that a try and see if focus speed is more acceptable for you. When turned off, focus is instant when switching quickly from one subject to the next, otherwise focus is designed to pause for obstacles that may have gotten between you and your subject. 

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    squibcakes  I have the 24 1.4G and its focus is spot on. Not sure what the lighting conditions were when you tried it out on, but for me it is quite fast.

I have the exact setup at DY8 suggested to you. Give that a try and get back to us.

With respect to the XQD, rumors are always flying about, but I have not read or heard anything as of yet in Nikon to do away with this interface, should they come out with a new D4 body. I think the XQD is a great achievement, CF & SD cards are not capable of delivering the type of Read/Write through that XQD technology can. 
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Hi DY8 and Golf007sd.

Thank´s for your comments.
    I haven´t bought the D4 yet, so I´m not able to try your suggestion out at the moment, but I´ll copy it and remember it for later use.

I`ll try the same methode on my D3, to see if it have any influence on the autofocus speed.

I`ll write back to you later on.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @studio - You don't wanna start the debate, but I do want. as a current d3s user I'm thinking of upgrading my camera. not that I'm not happy with it, though the facts and figures just speak against it. I know that I should be able to get around $3300-$3500 for my d3s, and as the time goes the price goes down too. I've already seen d4 from the second market being sold for $4000-$4500 and I know that in a period of 2-3 years my d3s will drop its price even more. so, do we have any users that had d3s before and moved to d4. if so, what's Your opinion about the upgrade?  
  • tfleecetfleece Posts: 3Member
    D4 question

This is driving me nuts  !!

Is there an option on image playback to switch the left & right to up and down for reviewing the next image ?

The previous D series had this option
    D4, D4, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII 2.8, 85 1.4, 300 2.8, 3 SB-910, 1.4 tele
    Read 338 of the manual and this may solve the problem.

Msmoto, mod