Well, FINALLY we get an updated 80-400

Comments

• tonydee23tonydee23 Posts: 2Member
    This lens focuses extremely fast and I'm considering the TC-14E II. I'd like to hear from those of you that could not focus in daylight, are you using an older camera body?

Compared to the Sony 70-400 that's been shiping for a couple of years, the Nikon focuses much faster, however Sony will catch up in July 2013.

Nikon 80-400G on D7000 [f5.6], converted without lens correction
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8682453421/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8627582673/in/photostream
    Sony 70-400 on A55 [f6.3] [f5.6] respectively, DXO lens correction
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8674242507/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8730792953/in/photostream/
    Sigma 120-400 on D7000 [f9], DXO lens correction
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8562202816/in/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8566222153/in/photostream/

It's easier to get flight shots with the new Nikon due to focus speed. I feel the Sigma needs to be stoppped down to get results that can be compared to the competitors.

The tripod mount is a bit smaller on the Nikon than on the Sigma and I consider this a plus as it helps the lens fit into a backpack.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2013
    @tonydee23

Welcome to NRF. Maybe you could post a full size image to Flickr and then we can see what the lens does.

Also, it would be nice to see the Exif data so we know what the settings are...thanks
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • BrucePhotographyBrucePhotography Posts: 40Member
    Question: Does anyone know if this lens can sense when it is on a tripod and do a tripod compatible form of IS like the 500mm? I've been having some trouble with IS on when mounted on a Wimberly, then I tried an Arcatech ballhead. I hate to have to use it without any IS at all. I'm doing harbor seals during the pupping season this week.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2013
    Question: Does anyone know if this lens can sense when it is on a tripod and do a tripod compatible form of IS like the 500mm? .
    No, VR is ether on or off; when on, it is ether normal or active

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    I have no problem leaving VR on when on a tripod. From todays raptor visit (no tripod).

Red Tailed Hawk pair
  • squoopsquoop Posts: 37Member
    The VR does auto-detect tripods. From the lens description at nikonusa.com:
    "Nikon's second generation Vibration Reduction (VR) enables shooting at shutter speeds up to 4x slower than would otherwise be possible and makes a tripod optional; but when one is needed, the lens automatically delivers specialized VR correction for tripod shooting"
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ squoop

So correct...although the instructions supplied with the lens make no mention of this that I could find....
    Msmoto, mod
    I just finished reading a view of the new 800mm lens and it said that AF really goofed up until he got new firmware for the D4. My question is for a D800/E and the new D7100 in particular, does the current firmware of these cameras support this lens? I've had quite a bit of problems with the d7100 and this lens but there is no firmware update as of yet. I've seen plenty of fine photos with other peoples D7100 as well as the D7000. I was one of the first to get my D7100 and my firmware is 1.0.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There are no firmware updates for the D7100. What problems are you having? What focus mode are you in? What lighting conditions?
    There are no firmware updates for the D7100. What problems are you having? What focus mode are you in? What lighting conditions?
    Bright Sunny Afternoon (west coast), lots of waves, lots of water in the air, hazy, 80-400 on a tripod, IS on, seals were about 100-150 feet away. I was facing west and north -- tried to keep sun to my back as much as possible. I loaned my Canon 5D3 with 500 F4 lens on a Gitzo series 5 tripod with a Wimberly to my friend and he got very acceptable shots right next to me. My D7100 with the 80-400 was on a Gitzo series 3 with an Archtech ballhead with IS on (his IS was also on). Most of my shots were between 1/500 and 1/10000, ISO 200 at F5.6-6.3.
    Autofocus mode? You have 1/10000 as a speed setting? I want your camera :-)
    For the most part I was using AF-S using the 1.4 teleconverter shooting at 1/500 (on a tripod) at F8. In this forum I don't know how to upload a JPG. If you tell me, I'll upload a JPG sample unchanged so you can see what I mean. It is representative of the whole day.
    Here's the instructions for how to post:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day#Item_110
    In short you have to have your jpg published to a URL which you then put a HTML "img src" tag into the forum pointing to.

At speeds above 1/500th VR will become less and less effective and may even be worse than just turning it off. I wouldn't use it at 1/1000, tripod or no tripod. Google "Nyquist Frequency" and realize that VR samples at 1000 hertz.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    edited May 2013
    Tried it out a few days ago in a Nikon shop in Johannesburg....all hand held with a display D800.. focus was very snappy and pictures looked crisp and sharp....well balanced also on the 800.....so it's now on my xmas wishlist.....now looking for my father xmas :D
    Post edited by CEBlueclouds on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2013
    ...I was using AF-S using the 1.4 teleconverter...
    And issue found. Just because the newer cameras can focus with lenses of a max aperture of F8 with the center points doesn't mean it will focus well beyond F5.6.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2013

If anyone can see this, check out that I don't believe this is an AF problem. The shot is just horrible. I was using the new 80-400 on a D7100. I'd appreciate any ideas on what happened. By the way, I have nearly 1,000 other shots that look similar that were shot on the same day with the same equipment. Meanwhile my friend was shooting with a 5D3 and a 500mm Canon and his shots were OK. He did have a Wimbely on a Gitzo series 5 whereas I was using a Gitzo series 3 with an Arcatech ballhead and all the shots that I took looked similar. I believe that I left in the exif but who knows because I'm not familar with Flickr or uploading to this blog.
    Post edited by BrucePhotography on
    edited May 2013
    If you double click on the icon you will go to flickr - Maybe...

edited May 2013
    Sorry for the large size but I thought this blog would resize automatically

_BLP0024_0024
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2013
    Considering that the entire image looks out of focus, I'm not sure how it's not a focus issue. :-?

(yes I looked at the image on flickr, not just the distorted version here.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tonydee23tonydee23 Posts: 2Member

An updated to my May 16th post, here's a full resolution shot, shot wide open (5.6 for 400mm):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65854329@N05/8784720536/

For edge sharpness, look at the left edge, some of the grass is in focus; remember, the "edge" in this shot is only part way to the edge of the image circle since it's crop sensor.
    Considering that the entire image looks out of focus, I'm not sure how it's not a focus issue. :-?

(yes I looked at the image on flickr, not just the distorted version here.
    Notice that the foreground is really, really out of focus as well as the far background (you did click to enlarge - the compressed image is even way worse). The focus box was on the seals head and the whiskers look kinda sharp. To me, the whole thing looks like I was shooting through some sort of diffusion filter instead of the B+W F-Pro UV filter.

@Bruce, From what I can see from EXIF data, you have the 80-400 + TC 1.4, effective focal length of 550mm. You are shooting at 1/500th, f/8. You mentioned it was quite windy? In any event I think 3 things are working against you 1) At this focal length you should be at 1/1000 or greater. 2) VR should be off at any speed above 1/500 3) The combination of hazy air, a low contrast scene, and being at f/8 + TC will make accurate focusing hard.
    From what it looks like to me you have motion blur happening in addition to marginal focus. Up yer shutter speed, turn off VR and see what happens.
    @Ironheart, OK - I have shot other environments and not had this problem with and without the tc. Some I need more time to test out this lens. Thank you for your comments.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @BrucePhotography: There is something wrong here for sure. In addition to the suggestions Ironheart, please make sure that you did not accidentally put the body in Manual mode via the AF/M button...which I'm sure you know is located on the left hand side next to the lens release button. Can you give us the link to your flickr account so we can see the other photo's? Thx.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I just finished reading a view of the new 800mm lens and it said that AF really goofed up until he got new firmware for the D4. My question is for a D800/E and the new D7100 in particular, does the current firmware of these cameras support this lens? I've had quite a bit of problems with the d7100 and this lens but there is no firmware update as of yet. I've seen plenty of fine photos with other peoples D7100 as well as the D7000. I was one of the first to get my D7100 and my firmware is 1.0.
    I have run my 800mm extensively on my D4 and D800E and haven't seen any AF issues (unless you consider really fast and sharp to be an issue). I am running the latest firmware in both. I haven't tried my D7000 with it yet.

Denver Shooter