Well, FINALLY we get an updated 80-400

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2013
    Well the price just dropped a staggering £400 in the UK

Nikon are clearly going all out, to piss off anyone who buys equipment when it is first released

( incidentally ignore all my previous post say how wonderful this lens is like all Nikon products it is rubbish)

yes I am really pissed off and will recommend any one buying a new lens to buy a sigma )
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I'm sorry you feel cheated, but Nikon can do whatever they like. If you have to have something right when it first comes out, that is the price you pay.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited June 2013
    I don't feel cheated, I expected a price drop but not so soon and not so big

Any idea when the D4 the 600mm f 4 or 24 mm f 1.4 are going to become affordable

a mate delayed buying a Canon lens only to watch it nearly double in price

as you say, Nikon can do what they want and so can I. I will no longer recommend Nikon gear
    I am not surprised, it was overpriced at launch (still is IMO). Sales were likely lower than expected and the price was lowered to help move inventory.
    before buying the 80 -400 I was looking at the Nikon 200-400mm f4 G VR II AF-S ED Lens

which was and still is over twice the price
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am looking for the $1995 US version..... but, this does not help my original version maintain any value.... and now I have a nice paper weight....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    edited June 2013
    I am looking for the $1995 US version.....
    It will be the kit lens for the D400
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    @Msmoto; it can be converted into a coffee cup, and that would be really cool:)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @sevencrossing: Well it is still $2700 in the States. With that said, I can understand your disappointment. But, I must say...one thing has nothing to do with the other position you have taken. We all know that our gear will decrease in price over time...how long for that to take place is unknown. Be that as it many, for me the price has its own place when buying a new product...the real value is with I have been able to accomplish that hold priceless value. When you got this lens, you were very positive and happy with its performance. That level of result has not changed...so enjoy the lens and forget about cost of acquiring it.

Cheers mate...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @sevencrossing, many credit cards offer price protection, I always use one of those when buying electronics, perhaps you have this coverage. Also some retailers will let you "return" the item and "buy" it back again at the lower price. Looks like you bought it 2 1/2 months ago though...
    Oh, I think I will just give it to my son....my version was very sharp...for those who have not seen this photo...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/7415833014/sizes/o/in/set-72157629918001642/
    Msmoto, mod
    before buying the 80 -400 I was looking at the Nikon 200-400mm f4 G VR II AF-S ED Lens

which was and still is over twice the price
    And it's also a constant aperture lens, the two lenses not even in the same league.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    WHAT IN THE WORLD??!?!

I just for the first time saw the price tag on this fellow! Are they kidding??? All the time I thought this was something aimed at the interested-amateur market and expected something like 890 $/€!

Holy cow. That's a lot of money for a consumer-level looking, non-constant 4.5-5.6 aperture, large zoom-factor lens. I hope the build and optical quality matches its price.
    edited June 2013
    I hope the build and optical quality matches its price.
    yes IMHO it does

I not too sure what you have against non-constant aperture lenses but if I am working at 400 mm; I usually do want to stop down a bit, so f 5.6 is not an issue for me
    not only is it half the price of the 200 -400 f4 it is approx. half the weigh and half the size
    it has replaced my 70-200 f 2.8
    IMHO it was worth the money I paid 3 months ago and is now a bargain

• FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    edited June 2013
    it has replaced my 70-200 f 2.8
    Wow, ok. Sorry, on the images it just resembled that... what is it... 70-300 zoom that a friend of mine got with her D5100. Which is why I was so shocked about the price. THat's all. (After all, 2,700 is a big stack of money even for the pro-level range.) But that impression was obviously wrong – glad you're so enthusiastic about it even after the price drop.
    Post edited by FlowtographyBerlin on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Does anyone think we will see a price drop in the U.S very soon for the new 80-400mm. I have saved up $2100 so far. Still about $1400 (including tax) short with the TC-14E II. Would anyone recommend getting the TC with this lens? I think I want it.
    edited June 2013
    Would anyone recommend getting the TC with this lens? .
    not really TCs are never very good with zooms
    I use mine with a D800 and simply crop if I need more "reach"
    ( it certainly does not work with a x2 )

edited June 2013
    If someone has a TC which is compatible, I would certainly try it. The result may be better than cropping or not. My suggestion would be to use manual focus, live view, as this is the best way to focus at f/11, which is what one has with the TC-20EIII. I will try to get some results from a friend who has a D800E and all of the above.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited June 2013
    I have tried the new 80 -400 with the TC-20EIII with a D800 and the results are awful

T I think here is simply too many elements ( a total of 27 )

the great feature of the new 80 -400 is its blistering fast focusing, so using manual focus seems a bit pointless
    Thanks for the response. Msmoto it would be nice to see some results with the 80-400mm and TC-14E II. I have done some searching and seen a few but more is better and different kinds of pics. sevencrossing I can tell you really like this lens. What do you use this lens mostly for. I'll think about the TC and do some more searching but will probably get it just to have it if needed.
    edited June 2013
    Its a "fun lens" (most of my "work stuff" is done with a 16 -35 )
    my work stuff pays for my "fun" gear

Its great for candid portraiture and street photography
    I have started doing some local, wild life photography
    I love the speed of focus but the peregrine falcons that are nesting near by, have eluded me to date
    I realize I do not have the patience to be a proper wildlife photographer but, being somewhat retired, I am having fun trying
    one day, I will learn how to post photos on NRF
    Thanks. I retired 1 year 2 days ago and moved. Have not stopped working (house,land,trailer,mom and a thousand other things). Wish i was somewhat retired. At least i could say i had to go work at a job. Wife works from home,means no peace (just kidding). K I'm saving as fast as I can. Well back to work to setup dual monitors for her. Hope I'll get done soon and she will give me time to play with all this stuff I have been buying and also learn to post on P-A-D. You are all like one GIANT brain full of so much information. Thanks again.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    results with the 80-400mm and TC-14E II, are quite good but going down 1/2 stop makes a noticeable improvement, and a full stop provides another slight margin. Focus on D800 is no problem.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Shot at the Southwick Pro Motocross Nationals, 400mm.

a8
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited July 2013
    D800, ISO 320, 1/400 sec, @400mm, f9, tripod, VR off, 100% crop

moon_2_20jul13
    Post edited by autofocus on