D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Test shot 2265, there were spots on the sensor. I did the things which are in the manual pages 301-305. I also did this procedure with my D300 all the time, nothing new. I do not wet cleaning. Since the last check I changed lenses a lot of times also in a dusty environment.

After 3 times blowing the sensor, making 3 test shots, there still were spots left, the same on all test shots. In the left corner (2), but also on other places on the sensor. Normally this was not so with my D300 after I cleaned it, this is different for me.

The spots were visable on the f/22 and f/16 shots (nbr 2270 and 2271. Not visable anymore on the f/11 shot (nbr 2272) and also not on the other apartures.

I saw a lot of - oil spot - photo's on the net made with f/8 and f/5.6 with clearly visable oil spots, that is not the case here.

I have to consult the service centre now to know if it is oil or not. If it is not oil, this sensor collects more dust then the D70, D200 and the D300 I had.

Next week I go to the Nikon service centre and let them check if it is oil or not and keep you informed.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Thx Ton.
    Always learning.
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member
    Ton just ruined my hopes of trading my D600 in for one that's flawless.
    Seems like even those who say the aren't experiencing this problem get affected by it in time?
    Yeeup. :(
    Always learning.
    Might be better of waiting for Nikon to be able to fix it then?
    Yeeup.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If I did not absolutely have to have a D600 right now...I would wait for the D600s. I think someone suggested this would be coming along sooner than we think. Nikon may not fix the D600, as the "D600" label is a bit tainted. Instead, a "new" D600s.
    Msmoto, mod
    That seems even more unlikely then a real D700 successor being announced by Nikon.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Nikon does about 2 years for their enthusiast cameras (D90, D7000) and 3 years for their semi-pro:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nikon_DSLR_cameras

I wouldn't expect a D600 replacement soon, if Nikon follows its normal schedules.

• The Nikon service centre acknowledged the D600 problem. They said, we are waiting for repair parts and we expect these parts in about 3 weeks. I left my D600 for repair, this is the status for me today. Back to my D300 for a couple of weeks, let you know when there is more to tell about my D600.
    You left your D600 with them, Why if you don't mind me asking?
    (BTW: Nice to see that a week after they sent the reply to my email, Two additional weeks have been added to there estimated time of arrival.)

Was planning on sending them another email to ask about the progress, But I see none has been made so far.
    I'll send my retailer an email to see if there offer still stands, Might as well try a new body while the Nikon Service Center awaits there instructions on the fix.
    Interesting Ton. 'Repair parts' eh? Is this a fix for the dust issue I wonder?
    Always learning.
  • spraynpray that's what they said, so I wonder too.
  • eazyduziteazyduzit Posts: 1Member

Like others, I have been holding off on buying a D600 until this issue is resolved. Last week I decided to try my luck contacting Nikon through their customer service. On 2/20 I received a reply by email:
    "In regards to your question Nikon has recognized and fixed the issue in regards of the D600 camera body."

I asked if they could please elaborate, but the reply was not helpful.

At first I was optimistic - maybe they have actually fixed the issue. But now I'm not so sure that they aren't just referring to their statement and the suggestions therein as the "recognition" and "fix".
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    Given these anecdotal reports, as well as the official statement, it sounds like progress IS finally being made. I get my annual bonus in April, and I'm going to save it responsibly buy the D600 then. I hope the stock is less likely to be having this problem by then. If not, then oh well, I'll deal with it. No point in waiting forever.
    www.jjdarling.com
    edited February 2013
    jj - LOL!

"save it responsibly buy the D600"
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I had 3 repairs, labeled as B1, B2, and CLN. B1 = repair, minor parts replaced. B2 = repair, major parts replaced. Although they were coded that way, I don't really know if any parts were actually replaced. It did not fix the issue.

I would not buy a D600 until Nikon has proven that they have fixed the issue.
  • FrederickoFredericko Posts: 22Member
    I contacted nikon and they asked me to send in my D600. This was after they acknowledge the issue on their website. I am contemplating on sending my camera, Do you guys think they already found the solution as to why the D600 get oil spots? Or are they just going to clean the sensor and send it back without addressing the cause of the problem?

• rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    @Fredericko, it is difficult to say as they are not very transparent. I would send it in and ask that question so you have documnetation of your issue. I would also send a letter to Nikkon USA, their President and let them know of your issue. I have found that going anywhere else within the company gets little response other than the "scripted points".

Good luck.....
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@Fredericko, since they asked, I'd send it in. I doubt it will hurt any more than it already does.

Since this is an international forum, I don't know if Nikon USA is involved in your case or not, but whichever Nikon entity is should be kept in the loop.

Good luck.

Mike
  • johnnkjohnnk Posts: 2Member
    I figured they wouldn't announce the problem if they hadn't fixed it, so I went ahead and bought one this week from B+H. Perhaps they need to work through some old shipments still, but my serial # is higher than any of the ones listed on the flickr page. I connected my lens, set up a time lapse for 120 shots of my white wall and then watched the .mov on my computer. You can see the spots just popping up as early as shot 3 and they continued to multiply all the way through...

Pretty bummed, the d600 was finally gonna make me switch from canon. Anyway, just for whatever it's worth
    I'm really sorry to hear that, Johnnk. I am not surprised by Nikon, however. I see no evidence that they have fixed the D600 issue. I am happy to be rid of mine.
    Just curious, Johnnk, what Canon gear do you have?
    Msmoto, mod
  • johnnkjohnnk Posts: 2Member
    Nothing exciting, just various cropped frames over the years. Finally making the jump to full frame, and on paper nothing was that close to the d600
    @ johnnk
    You might contact B & H customer service and see what they suggest. A return may be in order and they may provide post paid. This is especially a problem when we have spent a lot of money and have high expectations.

I don't know if anyone is up to 5,000 or more clicks on their D600, but would be curious if the problem resolves about that time.
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.