D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

Comments

• I had - dust - spots as well, but that is normal for me. Sometimes I change lenses in a dusty environment (who does not). When I put the mirror up and give it a couple of blows with the giotto rocket, they are gone. I only do this when there are many spots. Most of my - dust - spots vanish due to the - sensor cleaning - in the camera settings. Oil spots don't go this way and fortunately I don't have these (now).
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

To be as clear as I can be, if it is oil, it a defect. The previous photo had an unacceptable number of spots, too, and to also be as clear as I can be, it appears to be unpredictable as to when they show up. These are not trivial. And, also, they are unpredictable.

I live in bear country. Unpredictable seems to be a word that some folks don't understand. There are signs that warn people that bears are wild and unpredictable. A few years ago, at the top of Logan Pass, a sow grizzly bear slow approached me and my grandchildren and two hundred tourists near the visitor center at Glacier Park, I wrangled the children, and one of the tourists said, 'Why are you getting them out of here? The bear isn't going to attack." I knew then that he had no idea of what unpredictable meant.

Not knowing when the spots are going to appear is exactly like an approaching grizzly bear ready to bite you in the butt. Although you can clean the sensor before every shot, the unpredictability of the spots suggest that it could occur during any shoot. Some of us have shoots of over 3000K (I regularly do). One could simply say I shouldn't get the D600 - that it isn't the camera for me - but that would be BS. (The road on my side has ruts so I'd drive on the other side.) Nikon put it out there for a broad consumer audience. I should be a good fit.

But having 3000 shoots with those spots would ruin anyone's day.

I have zero idea whether these problems will be addressed or fixed by Nikon; corporate has been silent on it, but it is a problem for sure.

Learning to clean the sensor seems very wise, and I have no heartburn with the technique, but to make cleaning the sensor to be the solution to the D600 problem is just polishing a turd.

My best to all,

Mike
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member
    By the looks of it, And it's stubbornness not to be blown away with an air blower my conclusion is that this for the most part ain't dust?

D600 Sensor after 450+ shots

I did a test last night setting the camera to shoot 250 pictures (Jpeg, 1/500, f/1.8) 1 picture every 3 seconds, And did a before and after shot at the same settings. (Jpeg, 20'', f/16) which showed a bunch of new spots appearing.

Question is: What to do, If I call in within the next 4 hours I'd probably still be able to exchange it. (Last day of the 14 day return period)
    If I don't it will have to go to Nikon under warranty for a cleaning.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I doubt getting another body will make any difference, I suspect all D600 bodies have the same issue.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • T3LFT3LF Posts: 9Member
    I went to 3 photography shops yesterday i asked the same questions at all 3 and they all denied that there was problem with d600 with dust. 2 places said they have never heard of the problem and never had a return. The other said they have heard about the problem but it was just internet rumour and that you should not listen to evrything you hear on the intetnet and they also have never had a return or a complaint, so the shops near me are still denying it.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ T3LF

If I were to purchase a camera from them, I would have, in writing, the guarantee I could bring the camera back if it had the problem and obtain a full refund of the purchase price. If you then purchase another new body, same thing. My guess is they would not do this for you and this is the indication to go with a reputable supplier like B & H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The local shops I deal with all have a 15 or 30 day return policy. Any reputable business should have a posted, written policy.
  • flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    It also depends on who you talk to. Some people either don't know about the problem, or will deny it to make a sale. I spoke to 2 different people at my same camera shop and the second guy told me that he had heard about the oil/dust problem and that they would replace any that had the problem.
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • stl_bagloverstl_baglover Posts: 7Member
    edited February 2013
    ^^ True, I went to a camera shop and one branch said they had not heard about the dust issue, the other branch said they were aware.. The same with the big retailer where I got my camera, the brand ambassador said the D600 is a great camera and only a few have the issue, but the CS person told me the issue was known.
    I think they just want to make a sale.

I just got my 3er d600 body and tested it. They viewfinder was dirty and I found a few very faint spots only visible at f22 (this has been the cleanest body I have gotten) I took some pictures without changing lenses and more spots are starting to appear, even a big one that is very noticeable. Clearly the issue has not been fixed! I suspect the more I use the camera, the more dust or debris I will see. It's very sad, I wanted to love this camera but after 3 bodies with issues I cant trust it. I didn't buy this camera to learn how to clean the sensor, I bought it to learn photography. My camera is series 3058XXX and has shutter counter is 74.
    Needless to say this camera is going back and I will be buying a different camera, this experience has been very frustrating and disappointing!

Post edited by stl_baglover on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Just looking at prices in the UK last night and I found only £200 difference between D600 and D800 - now that IS a no brainer!
    Always learning.
  • T3LFT3LF Posts: 9Member
    Just looking at prices in the UK last night and I found only £200 difference between D600 and D800 - now that IS a no brainer!
    what was the price of the d600 and d800 you found and where? the cheapest i can find is £1400 for d600 and £1899 for d800 im leaning towards the d800 but hoping for hundered or two less then is is now (both are body only prices)
    I found £1236 and £1790 on value basket - the D600 is even cheaper than I found last night. £1790 is good for a D800.
    Always learning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    edited February 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For those who wonder what Nikon has on the website regarding quality control
    http://www.nikon.com/about/csr/nikon-csr/quality-control/index.htm
    Msmoto, mod
    Well Nikon responded to my support request today as did the retailer. (Who responded yesterday.)
    The retailer offers me my money back or an exchange for a new D600.
    According to Nikon (The Netherlands) Nikon Japan is investigating the issue and results and instructions on how to fix the problem are expected soon. (Third or Fourth week of February, Do note though that this is an estimate by Nikon Netherlands and not an announcement by Nikon Japan)
    While they await word from Nikon Japan they offer free sensor cleaning(s) with the choice to bring it in myself but preferably trough the retailer, As my retailer only offered me my money back or a new camera I'd prefer to bring it in myself, Service center ain't that far away from my hometown. (30 minute drive.)
    Anyway, I sent Nikon Netherlands a reply asking if exchanging the camera for a new one is sensible or if the risk of running in the same problem makes it not worth it to be without a camera for an unknown amount of time.
  • NWPhoto21NWPhoto21 Posts: 13Member
    Good news on my sensor spot issue: after 2 trips for servicing at Nikon’s LA facility, one at about 1500 shots and the other at about 3000 shots, the spots on my sensor are greatly reduced.

I am now at 3900 shots and although there were a number of light spots (seen at F/16-22), they were easily removed with a quick sensor swab swipe.

My D600, purchased in Sept. 2012, has had many more sensor spots than my previous Nikons (D7000, D3s, D2x, D300). Now that I am having fewer spots I’m very happy with it, especially with its quality at higher ISO's.
    Just a minute, that's good news - is that even allowed? =D>
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't exactly call that good news, since the camera is clearly still faulty.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    You're so negative PB! ;)
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    I just try to look at things objectively, rather than from an emotional standpoint. If that makes me negative in some people's eyes, I can live with that. In this case, I don't have a D600, I don't feel the need to defend Nikon for providing faulty products.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

@Sato, I wish that were true. However we've heard stories like this that were told to customers by Nikon before. But there has yet to be a real fix and D600 cameras still have the issue. After 3 trips to Nikon Service I have given up and I finally got the retailer to allow me to return that lemon. :(

I wish that this would be fixed, but I would not hold my breath.

I think everybody can rest assured that if or when the issue is fixed (as judged by the people having their sensors cleaned), you will read about it on Nikon Rumors first. Any 'announcement' from anybody else will be judged by its effectiveness.
    Always learning.
    The thing is, On the same day that I bought my D600 a friend of mine bought a Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR from the same retailer.
    The AF on that lens died within two weeks so he was asked by the retailer to send it in which he did last week, When no word came from the retailer he decided to call them today and ask what was up.
    Turns out his return had come in but hadn't been processed yet, And they sad the were sorry And where gonna sort it out with haste.

Now I'm willing to confess that I don't fully trust in Nikon Netherlands claim that a solution is coming soon, (Within two weeks)
    But I really don't see any point in sending my D600 in for an exchange for two reasons: The first one is the retailers lack of dedication to customer care as you can read above , The second is the fact that a new D600 body comes with no guarantee of being problem free and could potentially be worse. Do I really want to be without a camera for that? If Nikon could potentially fix it soon? No thanks.

I'll be taking my D600 and 105 f/2.8 VR Micro to a indoor butterfly garden this Saturday, (Not gonna let Nikon, The retailer and my parents ruin My birthday.) And decided whether I'll return the camera for a new one or await Nikon's solution after after that. It'll be my first real full day of shooting hobby stuff with the D600 and the results of that day will decide if I'll stick with the camera or maybe request my money back. (As that doesn't involve sending it in to the retailer but can be done by dropping it off at one of there local stores for a refund. I bought it online and therefore the exchange for a new one can only be done trough the online shops warehouse, It sucks I know but there's not much I can do to change there policy.)
  • LopezianLopezian Posts: 1Member
    Standing by to trade up from my D3200 to a D600, but the dust/oil spot problem has me treading water. Seems Nikon has yet to provide a definitive fix. How about Costco? Is their return policy reliable/trustworthy?

Thanks.

Lopezian
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Costco gives 90 days on electronics, no questions asked.
This discussion has been closed.