D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

Comments

• NightProNightPro Posts: 4Member
    Checked my d600 out of the box, first shot no oil. Checked it after 222 shots, no oil.
    Serial 607...... bought in Holland. Keep you informed as something change.
    Thank you man! getting feeds from you.
  • MikeFrewerMikeFrewer Posts: 51Member
    edited February 2013
    So I've been without a camera for as it seems, a very long time now. I'm fed up waiting for the D400, and as I have tickets for Le Mans this year. i need a camera that I'm used to by June. This weekend I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a D600. I'm paying the equivalent of £1,300 or $2,037. It seems that the oil/dust problem does not appear after a certain serial number. Does any of you that have purchased dust free models have your serial number so that when I go to the shop I have at least an idea as to the good and bad serial numbers are , and wether I should walk or buy. Thanks in anticipation.....Mike
    Post edited by MikeFrewer on
    So I've been without a camera for as it seems, a very long time now. I'm fed up waiting for the D400, and as I have tickets for Le Mans this year. i need a camera that I'm used to by June. This weekend I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a D600. I'm paying the equivalent of £1,300 or $2,037. It seems that the oil/dust problem does not appear after a certain serial number. Does any of you that have purchased dust free models have your serial number so that when I go to the shop I have at least an idea as to the good and bad serial numbers are , and wether I should walk or buy. Thanks in anticipation.....Mike
    Hi MikeFrewer
    Ton said that his SR No is 607.... he don't get this issue.
    I have just had a "live chat" with a Fergus from Nikon UK about this problem. He has informed me that Nikon are aware of a small number of reported problems regarding dust / oil on the D600 sensor. I asked him if there was a certain serial number to look for after which the problem had been solved and he said that they are still looking into the problem. His advice was to take a picture with the camera in the shop against a white background, then check the pictures for any spots. If after I have bought the camera I find spots, just return it to Nikon and they will clean the sensor. Turn round time is about 8 too 10 days.
    I'm still nervous about spending this money on a camera that might have to be returned
    Yep, same here. That's why I am still waiting and confusing to get D600 or not.
    I think, Nikon can't over pass this problem. Nikon UK said small no of .... huh!
    I don't know how they collect and get this info.
    For me I wunna to shot the photo instead of travel to NSC.
    I think that I will still at the least go and have a look at it this weekend. I will check the serial number and check the pictures as has been suggested.
    I know that this is a problem with the D600, and it should be addressed by Nikon.
    But as photographers, should we not know how to clean the sensors on our cameras as part of our hobby ? I mean if you look at other hobbies or sports. The majority prepare their equipment before they use it. Take for instance a motor cross rider. (Not a professional) they after every meeting would clean their bike, remove chains and filters clean and soak them ready for their next race. I think this can be said for the majority of weekend sports people. Should we not be prepared to clean our sensors every so often as a part of our hobby. I understand that the sensor is very fragile and expensive. It was just a question regarding looking after our equipment and ensuring the long life of it. Or would this be like asking a local mechanic to service a formula 1 car ?
  • TheGipperTheGipper Posts: 110Member
    Mine is serial no 606xxxx.

Had over 1000 actuations since bought. Took a sky shot this morning at F/22. Had a fairly normal looking splatter of dust (did a lot of lens changing yesterday). Gave it a few blasts with a rocket blower (I will wet clean it soon), but it doesn't look too bad to me, couple of stubborn ones at the bottom, but nothing a wet clean wouldn't remove. Will have to see if further use develops the issue. Certainly not concentrated on the top left as the issue suggests.
    Forgive me, not sure how to post an image here, otherwise I would :)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi TheGipper,

If you go to the main forum page there is a thread on 'how to post a photo on 'photo a day' - you will see how to do it from what ever hosting service you have chosen (Flickr etc.).

Good luck with your D600, keep this thread updated with your findings please.
    Always learning.
  • NikonnutNikonnut Posts: 2Member
    Got my D600 3 days ago in Malaysia. Actuated about 200 odd times. Shot at f8 using an 85mm 1.8 against a brightly lit wall. So far so good. loving the camera so far. Serial number starts at 803xxxx.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Not sure if anyone saw the Nikon announcement in today's main blog, but I'd say that this is an important first step. It doesn't resolve the problem, but I know that in the mind of many Nikon's failure to acknowledge that the issue even existed was more problematic than the issue itself. Hopefully this "transparency" (and I use that term lightly) continues.
  • @ proudgeek at least they don't deny it anymore and that is major to me.
    The manual pages 301 to 305 don't mention wet cleaning.
    They say - Nikon recommends that the filter be cleaned only by Nikon-authorized
    service personnel -.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suppose what is missing is any acknowledgement that the camera has a greater problem than other DSLR bodies, and that Nikon is looking into a solution to this issue. What they stated was only what everyone already knew.

Does anyone have information that Nikon will issue a postage paid mailer for the return to the service center? This could be done after the customer provided images to Nikon which showed the problem. And, of course, Nikon can easily see how many shutter actuations are on the camera from the image Exif data.

Well, it is a first step. And, we are in a rather skewed perspective as the folks who complain are those with a problem and most of the non-dust folks simply remain silent for the most part. Thus, we actually do not know the exact extent of the problem.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    edited February 2013
    Nikon just acknowledged the problem - no postage paid mailer was offered :(

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/nikon-issues-official-statement-on-the-d6000-dustoil-issue.aspx/
    Post edited by Peter on
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited February 2013
    This guy cleans his sensor frequently: in fact about every time he charges his battery which equates to about every 1,000 shots. Interesting, maybe we should clean more often.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2009/01/30/cleaning-da-gear-pt2/

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2012/06/11/sensor-cleaning-with-copperhill/

As long as the dust spots stop after 3,000 clicks, as Nikon says, it is no big deal. Just learn to clean the sensor and don't forget to clean the mirror box with a q-tip as Moose shows.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I woke up and thought Hell froze over.

And Nikon claims it is 'rare'... 8->

It could be a balancing act, weighing the act of a press release against a recall.

@donaldejose - If cleaning a sensor worked, it would end the problem, but doesn't, does it? Dirty sensors return at random times, and that 'randomness' is key to the folly of all this mess for the D600 owners.

If one were to clean the sensor before each shot, then you have an answer.

My best,

Mike
    edited April 2013
    Mike, I have cleaned my D600 sensor twice in 3299 exposures. I had less dust build up the second time. Have not been using it for a while because the D800 worked better for what I was doing but I am going to shoot my D600 for a while now and will keep track of how many times I need to clean it. I expect the dust or oil issue will go away as soon as whatever is causing it has thrown off all its excess oil, dust, shavings or whatnot. I don't think it is going to be some long term issue in which the D600 body allows more dust from the environment to get inside the body than other Nikon bodies. Since I am now at Nikon's 3,000 exposure mark we will see what happens.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

The way I read it Nikon did not own up to the problem, nor does it sound like they have a real fix for the problem. It sounds like they are just offering cleanings for affected D600 owners.

As a former D600 owner who sent his camera in for service 3 times, I don't think that is very valuable until Nikon fixes the underlying cause!
    True, but it is progress, albeit slow progress.
    Always learning.
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member

As a former D600 owner who sent his camera in for service 3 times, I don't think that is very valuable until Nikon fixes the underlying cause!
    I haven't sent mine in yet, And while its doable to do some spot removal in post it's not really the way it's supposed to be.
    Still, I got a choice: Send it in to Nikon when they're confident the can fix it, Or have the retailer exchange it for a new one.
    Any tips? Been going with option one for now but option two doesn't sound to bad either. (Will take about a week (or two) to get it exchanged and I haven't sold my D5100 yet.)
    It's still a risk of getting another one with the same problem, And the one I have now has spot on autofocus.

@Sato, that's a tough call and that is where I was. I was also past my return window, so I thought I was stuck with a spotty D600. Eventually the retailer agreed to take it back. I had no trust at all in the D600 and failing trust in Nikon. I considered switching brands, but decided to try to buy my way out of the problem, so I got a D800E. I hope that ends out being a good decision.

Good luck with your decision! Any way we can help you?
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@Donaldejose, maybe we'll have to wait for another 6 months for another mea cupla, if you can call it that, from Nikon that after 6000, shots the D600 needs another cleaning?

It's still turd polishing; this is seems like an awkward attempt at damage control.

Some are rushing to Nikon's side saying 'Yippee', and others see snake oil salesmen and tent revival preachers trying to ply their charm.

Let's see if the warts are cured before we cry, 'Hallelujah, Jesus.'

I'm very, very skeptical.

To be very, very clear, what I can glean from their statement is this:

1. Nikon, IMHO claims the problem is 'rare' which seems ingeniousness at best, a lie at worst.
    2. Nikon's real answer is to 'read the manual', if those techniques fail, and send it in for cleaning.
    3. Repeat, apparently, if necessary.

Something users already know to do.

I'm unclear how this is suppose to engender good will.

My best,

Mike
    My prediction, and it is just speculation, is that the issue was caused by some insufficiently cleaned part installed on some (or most?) of the bodies or by some excess lubricant on some (or most?) of the bodies. In other words, it was an assembly line error or "birthing pain" like the D800 focus issue.

If this is correct two things should happen next.
    1. The latest bodies coming out of the factory won't have the issue because the assembly line error has been found and fixed.
    2. As soon as the excess dirt, savings, and oil have all been cleaned out of the body the D600 will have no more dust or oil spots than any other Nikon body.

We will see if 1 and 2 occur or not. From what I understand Lens Rentals routinely cleans sensor on the bodies they rent, they did find the D600 needed more cleaning than normal, they did find there was less dust appearing in the D600 over time (strongly suggesting it is not coming in from outside or it would remain the same) and they have yet to say whether or not their D600s are now no worse than the average Nikon body.
    edited February 2013
    A prediction can't be speculation really. Not so much a prediction as a wild guess fueled by hope I think Donald.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member

@Sato, that's a tough call and that is where I was.
    Good luck with your decision! Any way we can help you?
    Well since you asked, I'm having a tough time deciding if I should have it exchanged for a new one or just keep the one I got and get it fixed. (When there able to so.)
    I'll be sending the retailer a message tomorrow to see if there offer still stands (With an: I was on holiday and couldn't reply sooner excuse.) And how an exchange will be handled (Like to be able to exchange it at one of there stores or my doorstep, Don't want the stress of mailing mine in and waiting for them to take action.)
    edited February 2013
    My opinion/advice would be to return a malfunctioning D600 and buy a D600 later when the problem has been fixed or buy something else entirely. My D600 was getting spots visible at mid-apertures every 200 shots. I regretted trying to work with Nikon service, sending it in three times and using up my return/exchange window. The camera is capable of amazing pictures, I just didn't trust that they wouldn't have spots, and that took away the joy for me.

Best of luck! I hope you find a solution that works well for you.
    Post edited by roombarobot on
This discussion has been closed.