D600 Dust/Oil/Lubricant Issue discussion/Discontinuation and price reductions

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    donaldejose, I agree with that $300 price difference between the D600 and D610. The good news is the D600 is not on the fixed sales price list so once the stores sees them not moving they have the freedom to drop that price.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @donaldejose: I disagree. If the D600's price is dropped to the point that it costs about the same as a D7100, THAT'S when it gets interesting! If the price is to be dropped though, people unhappy with spotty snaps will have to pay the difference between the D600 and the D610 if they want to upgrade. IMHO everybody with full price spotty D600's should get an upgrade end of story.

800 shots? That's a few days of casual shooting for me and I get a year between cleans on my D7K.
    Always learning.
  • fredfred Posts: 23Member
    I 100% agree with spraynpray, though wishful thinking I am hoping that nikon will compensate the D600 owners. Nikon really messed it up this time, instead of recalling the D600 they release another model hoping that D600 issues will die. I guess they will loose some if not most of their loyal customers who bought the D600 with this irresponsible move.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    No, Nikon won't lose any customers who bought a D600 because we are too invested in other Nikon equipment. We will just clean the sensor frequently until we get all the dust out and all the excess lubricant is flung off the mirror. I we get disgusted with doing that we will purchase a different Nikon body.
    edited October 2013
    @donaldejose its customers like you that I think Nikon is not making any responsible moves because you keep on insisting to continually clean your sensor hoping that it will just clear up in the future. And thats what Nikon wants their "customers" to think, same mentality as yours. Spots appearing every 100 or so shots is NOT normal period. Heck I had my D90 for 3 yrs and never had a problem with spots like what the D600 has. So stop insisting on shoving to everyone who bought a D600 your idea that its normal to clean their sensor until it clears up.
    Post edited by fred on
    I never said it was normal for spots to appear every 100 shots or that everyone should clean their sensor every 1,000 shots. I did say some sensor cleaning (more than in the past) will become "normal" now that sensors have more megapixels and I did say that frequent cleaning may finally get all the dust out but we don't know that yet until we have had enough user experience past 10,000 clicks. Many people have been reporting reduced dust over time.

It appears a new shutter mechanism is the sole mechanical difference between a D600 and a D610. That is an admission by Nikon that the shutter mechanism was the source of the dust and oil. Let's hope it works and is backwards compatible.
  • NRandallNRandall Posts: 10Member
    edited October 2013
    I was having problems with the D600 and was about to take the jump back to the D7100 when the D610 was announced. In Australia the price difference is around $400 between the D600 and the D610 but I decided it is worth it. Everything costs more here. Nikon are supposed to be shipping here some time in November. In the meantime I'll continue with the D7000 loaned by the dealer which has a bit of a bug but takes great photos. I caught myself wondering if the whole sensor oil dust issue was part of a Nikon marketing strategy to lift the base price of its pro-sumer FX body in the form of an upgrade LOL
    Post edited by NRandall on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Sorry just got to rant.. there is a second hand D600 for $900 in a small town 5 hrs drive away and I don't have a car.. !! ok rant off ...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@heartfisher: That's what UPS is for...
    Always learning.
    Its not through ebay so there is no security of payment for both sides so they want pickup only .. its got 7000 clicks ( he is probably sick of the dust and probably has never cleaned it ! ) oh well..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Get him to hold it and jump on the bus!
    Always learning.
    edited October 2013
    LOL ! am i crazy to even investigate that option !
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

heartyfisher said:
    LOL ! am i crazy to even investigate that option !

Answer: It Depends!!! :)) [-X
    If you have the disposable income, go for it...and are willing to accept the challenge of cleaning the sensors a lot but you could have a good camera for less than they are selling for now.

Then again, Nikon won't perform warranty work because you are not the original owner. And that outside change that Nikon may offer a trade up program for D600 owners and in the fine print it says, "applies to original owners."

Tough decision. It really depends upon your risk taking acceptance.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I read this post in one of the photography site, just want to let everyone know. I hope this will somehow help.

Hey guys,
    We have a petition going for current D600 owners that are being neglected, if the issue affects you please sign the petition through the link below.

http://chn.ge/GNnylI

Online petition for D600 owners please click link below

http://chn.ge/GNnylI

• catfishcatfish Posts: 41Member
    edited October 2013
    Photography Bay has this on their website now:

The D600 with or without the lens on deep sale [url] http://www.photographybay.com/2013/10/09/nikon-d600-24-85mm-vr-lens-for-1929-body-only-on-sale-too-deal-alert/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+PhotographyBay+(Photography+Bay)&utm_content=My+MSN/[url]

You have to use the special url's mentioned in the article - sorry I could not get the url function to work on NR.
    Post edited by catfish on
    “Sometimes I arrive just when God's ready to have somone click the shutter.”
    ― Ansel Adams
    Looks like the "fire sale" has started.
  • ShootorShootor Posts: 3Member
    My D600 came back from its second trip to a Nikon service center. The work order shows B2 work again including shutter replacement which I highly doubt. I took 100 shots immediately and the sensor is showing 5 dots. I don't know if I am getting angry or numb at this point....
    Thom Hogan says: "In the typical repair report I'm seeing for cameras that have the problem Nikon is replacing the entire shutter mechanism. If that's the case with a camera you send in to Nikon, you should be fine after the repair. I've heard of no cases of repeating debris buildup after a shutter replacement. "
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member
    Wow, that is not sound logic by Thom. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There are many examples on here and many more on dpreview of D600 owners that had their shutter replaced and had debris buildup after.

We have had repeated instances of shutters being changed, cameras being cleaned and contamination continuing right here on NR so Thom has that wrong I am sure. @bbarb 's case is just one and there are at least a couple of others.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2013
    I just wonder if owners who thought their shutters were replaced actually received only a cleaning? Also, maybe some of the shutters were replaced by another old D600 shutter and not the new D610 shutter? If the shutter is the root cause let's hope the D610 shutter is better than the D600 shutter. Considering how many cameras Nikon has produced you surely would think they would know how to produce a non-defective shutter!
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @donaldejose If Nikon reports that the shutter has been replaced on the repair report, they had better have done so. I'm not sure how someone could make a mistake about that...
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Sure, they should have. But how are we to confirm it? Perhaps the tear down of the D610 will yield a visible difference we can all easily see.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That would be fraud, Nikon would be treading in some very murky legal water if that did that to customers.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
This discussion has been closed.