is the D7000 worth buying?

Comments

• StanStan Posts: 2Member
    I have both the D7000 and a D600. The real issue becomes the lenses. Remember at the resolutions that these sensors are capable the lenses become a significant factor. So lens choice is as important as the body.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I have the D7000 and a D800.  The D7000 is still a very capable and wonderful camera that I still use when light work is needed or I just don't need/want the crazy resolution that the D800 does.
    I have both the D7000 and a D600. The real issue becomes the lenses. Remember at the resolutions that these sensors are capable the lenses become a significant factor. So lens choice is as important as the body.

I firmly do not agree on the lens thing to a point.  This whole BS thing about old lenses not resolving properly on digital because they don't support enough resolution.   Film is higher resolution than digital period.  With that in mind I always like to bring up my once fungal infected 55mm f/1.2 '67 built Nikkor.  Cleaned the frak out of the lens and put a good multicoated filter on the front of the lens to compensate for the slight etching from the fungus on the front element and it shoots like a champ on both cameras.  Now if a lens sucks it will suck regardless of what it is used to shoot either film or digital.

The main reason that I ended up going for the D800 I wanted full frame and wanted the latest and greatest.  Had the D600 shipped first I would have ended up with one of those.  Both are not important to this forum thread so anyway just adding my vote to the D7000 being a very nice and capable camera.  If you want one get one since they are now going for a song and a dance but if you are waiting for whatever replaces it I am sure it will be spectacular and just as capable if not more so.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @macsavageg4 - check your inbox (bottom right on the home page when you are signed in) - I pm'd you a week ago.
    Always learning.
    Got it.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2012
    The only problem with the D7000 is the control layout.  I si similar to my D90 and I prefer the D4, D300s, etc., layout.

But, I have to go now so I can quickly move the controls to M, or A, or S, from the P they are on now.  :))

Only kidding....I will rarely use P except when the camera is sitting on the floor of the car, on, waiting for something to occur which I might want to shoot.

:-B
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If the D7000 had five key things, I would buy one. A) Decent buffer, B) AF ON button, no not the AF-L/AE-L button, which is too close to the viewfinder (IMO), C) Pressing the centre button while in playback would allow 100% zoom like pro bodies and D) Move the DOF preview button to where the pro bodies have it, where it is now is somewhat akward to reach, E) Built in eye piece cover (like pro bodies).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited December 2012
    The D7000 was neither planned nor ever sold to be a Pro-model ;) I miss the 100% view center button, too but the rest are minor things to me. On the other side, I'd be more than happy if I could use the user-settings a D7000 has on my D800, too, instead of that menu-based settings which bring uncertainty in the using. I know, a D600 would offer them but it just came too late and now I'm used to IQ of D800  (:|     :D
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • narmi47narmi47 Posts: 5Member
    I must say thank you all for your feed back and obviously different opinions. 
    The camera I do end up purchasing will be used mainly for Portrait and Landscape shots. 

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Your question was "is the D7000 worth buying?" I'd say yes :)

Because after all the latest "issues" (left focus at D800, dust & oil on the sensor on D600) it's hard to predict which surprise Nikon is preparing now. The D7000 works great for portraits. For landscapes? I was happy with it until I got FF. I would not expect, that a 24MP DX sensor would bring more quality than the lenses are actually delivering. Just because the pixel densities of D7000 and D800 are nearly the same - and it's not cheap to find lenses with sufficient resolution.
    edited December 2012

The camera I do end up purchasing will be used mainly for Portrait and Landscape shots.
    No doubt about it you are well positioned to take advantage of the low D7000 prices and get a great camera very cheap.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Any camera would suck if the person behind it doesn't know what they are doing. Like people with D3s's that use them in P mode.
    To be fair, I did help them out and show them how to improve the quality of the pictures coming out of their Canon Full frame with their expense L zoom.  Even after that, however, they still preferred the quality of the pictures the D7000 took with my crappy $100 dollar 18-55 lens.  This experience made me feel that I made the right decision about Nikon and the D7000.  And trying to adjust things on the Canon for them was actually painful... nowhere near as easy as the Nikon.   

It's funny because I was worried about the exact opposite scenario when I was first deciding to buy a camera.  A Canon DSLR I was looking at in store seemed easier and produced better pictures from the beginning.  However, now that I've loaded my Nikon with a friend's D7000 settings and shot with it a little, I find it way easier, especially when you need to adjust things for your shot. 

Regarding some of the comments above:  I have not run into buffer problems yet.  I have a 900 series flash and the D7000 fires it off like a strobe light without problems while recording pics.  I haven't shot sports yet, so stay tuned...  I can't comment on the DoF button.  I don't do so much landscape shooting, and when I do I find it easier just to shoot and then look at the picture in the LCD to see if I need to adjust things rather than use the DoF button.  I shoot in Aperture priority or Auto most of the time, unless I am shooting something fast and then use Shutter or Manual.  One of the things that I liked about the D7000 was that its Megapixel res was not so high.  Remember that the sensor size is staying the same with the next D7000 upgrade, only now each little pixel is fighting with more pixels for the same photon that is coming in.  I honestly don't think the megapixels make any difference.  Even on my crappy cell phone camera with 5 megapixels, I can capture amazing pictures!  It's only the control of the shot that makes me reach for the D7000.  And thus far, I am really glad at all of the control a "complicated" Nikon gives...
  • istreetshooteristreetshooter Posts: 1Member
    It is not an easy decision. In the film days you'd know you'd be keeping a body for years, but not any more. Is it worth spending $900, or whatever, when you may buy a new one in a few years? I'm in the same boat. I have a D90 of my own (lousy for video, of course), a D300s at work for studio use only, and a V1, which I love. I'd like that V1 portability with the DX sensor. Dang it, Nikon!

I may buy the D7000 so I get a DSLR that can take moderate-quality video to use on locations, but I know I'd use another V1 more often because it is portable (back issues). I may go with the D7000 and not wait because of the additional $300 or so its replacement will cost, so I have different levels of camera to access. I could bring a D7000 as my main and my existing V1 as a back-up. But it is more efficient to travel with the same system, e.g., Nikon 1?

So to sum up, what do you really need, not want (unless you got lots of money)? I'm obviously confused, myself.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Any camera would suck if the person behind it doesn't know what they are doing. Like people with D3s's that use them in P mode.
    +1

This is why I bought the D4 to use in P mode. The D3s just didn't cut it. I could use a few more megapixels, though.

!! too funny !!

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2012
    @ manhattanboy : "However,
    now that I've loaded my Nikon with a friend's D7000 settings and shot
    with it a little, I find it way easier, especially when you need to
    adjust things for your shot. "

Just curious what those settings are ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2012
    My introduction to the world of D-SLR was the D7000. Thus, many of the "control location" issue that some have spoken of, for Me was never an issue; thus I find their usage very comforting.Within the DX world, I find its performance, features, and built quality to be outstanding. I have no hesitation in recommending this body to anyone...Period! Moreover, I have a feeling it is going to be with me for many year to come. 

Side Note:

Just the other day, I had both my D7000 & D4 with me while attending the San Diego Auto Show going on at our Convention. I had the 14-24 on the D4 and the 24-70 on the D7000... as I walking in, two of the staff members asked if I had lost my "Press Pass" and 8 people asked me what publications I was working for. I told them I'm a member of NRF and I don't need a Press Pass to do what I do. One guy though I said NRA and gave me big high-five...I was LMAO. I told him the only thing I will be firing today will be my shutter. And for the record, I will never give up my D7000 nor my Sig Sauer P229! 
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Side Note:

Just the other day, I had both my D7000 & D4 with me while attending the San Diego Auto Show going on at our Convention. I had the 14-24 on the D4 and the 24-70 on the D7000... as I walking into, two of the staff members asked if I had lost my "Press Pass" and 8 people asked me what publications I was working for. I told them I'm a member of NRF and I don't need a Press Pass to do what I do. One guy though I said NRA and gave me big high-five...I was LMAO. I told him the only thing I will be firing today will be my shutter. And for the record, I will never give up my D7000 nor my Sig Sauer P229! 
    I love this story. I'm a member of NRF! Thanks for sharing, golf.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    what I miss on my D3s is a landscape scene mode :D
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Just the other day, I had both my D7000 & D4 with me while attending the San Diego Auto Show going on at our Convention. I had the 14-24 on the D4 and the 24-70 on the D7000... as I walking in, two of the staff members asked if I had lost my "Press Pass" and 8 people asked me what publications I was working for. I told them I'm a member of NRF and I don't need a Press Pass to do what I do. One guy though I said NRA and gave me big high-five...I was LMAO. I told him the only thing I will be firing today will be my shutter. And for the record, I will never give up my D7000 nor my Sig Sauer P229! 
    I think we need a t-shit: I'm a member of NRF. I don't need Press Pass!
    edited December 2012
    So, another thread degenerates to the humor side...

I have a press pass I use occasionally for non-official purposes.  Looks very official.  And at the NAIAS in Detroit in a couple weeks, I will have the D4 on a monopod, most likely the 24mm f/1.4 as well.  The D90 may be along with possibly the 16-35mm f/4 VR.  In the past the monopod mounted camera clears the area well.

More  
    :))  :-*
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    I have read all of the great views on the D7000. I am also considering upgrading from my D5000. My mother-in-law just received a D7000 for Christmas to upgrade her (do I dare say?) Olympus E520. After showing her the ease of use, I shot around with it. What a great camera! I was considering the D5200 but I am thinking now of holding off for the new D7X00.
    I shoot landscape, animals, action, and a six year old! Thoughts?
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
    All said on this thread already although your choice of subjects does make it that you may be better off waiting for the replacement in the hope that it has better AF.

Note that I have no problem with the AF on my D7000 when shooting sport as I use the zone focus technique but YMMV.
    Always learning.
    Dredden85 If you were happy with what you felt about the D7000, then why wait? After all who knows when and if there is going to be a D7X00. Beside, them six year olds wont stay at that age for long...think of all the great shots you will be missing out on.  :-?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Check the Nikon Humor Thread... :-*
    Msmoto, mod

Check the Nikon Humor Thread... :-*

:)) :-bd
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Coming from a D60, have similar thoughts as many here.  A used or refurb D7000 looks to be a great buy. Tempted by D600 body, using my lenses until I sell them for FF versions.  But that's 2x $400 steps ($800).  3x ($1200) with comparable lens coverage.  Waiting for a 7x00 update is probably going to be (just a) 1x $400 unit over current prices.  So right now it's looking like the jump from D60 to D7000 is in my future.

But I'm holding out for the possibilities, just in case they surprise me.  Expecting:
    - possibly slightly improved AutoFocus (people seem happier with the F8 and low-light performance of the D600).
    - probable 24MP sensor at or better than the D5200 level.
    - probable Expeed improvement in performance, noise reduction, auto-ISO intelligence, HDR, buffer.
    - probable improvement in video specs, though I could care less.
    - release with 16-85VR replacement, say constant f/4.
    - possible release of a 24-28mm f/2.8 lens.

If that's ALL there is, then I doubt I'll bite, get the D7000 and a lens.  But if they do something unexpected, some of these might be worth my added $400 - radical?
    - tilt-swivel panel
    - built-in GPS or WiFi
    - lighter weight
    - improved viewfinder magnification
    - crop mount mode for CX lenses

We shall see.  No hurry - seems like something will be announced by February sometime.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii