is the D7000 worth buying?

12345679»

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am finding our D7000 has less issues than the D7100. Video can be better on D7100 but try to photograph the moon on manual with a D7100 and mine at least will not in video mode. Same subject in P and A mode on the D7100 is a CROP FAILURE and the D7000 will perform very well. So I would say the D7000 is AN EXCELLENT BUY! D7100 does have I believe more problem areas. Maybe the new one a year from now will be better.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    edited May 2013
    As for the original question, the D7000 is a great camera and you won't be dissapointed. I have had mine for over a year and I am pleased with the unit and the Nikon lens... If you take care of your equipment as most of us do, it will give you much use and many a fine images :)
    Post edited by rschnaible on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited May 2013
    Not a great photo by any chance- but it shows the quality and sharpness out of the files from the D7000. I saw a Toyota FJ from the BQE while I was going home and I decided to take a photo of it from a moving car, probably moving at least 40 mph. Also, it was a dreary overcast day and I shot it through the window of the car.

It was also partly a test of the 18-135 kit lens, as I felt that it perhaps needed some AF fine tune. Apparently, I don't need any!

If you zoom in on the lower right bumper of the Toyota, you'll be able to read the Toyota badge. I am in awe of the 16 mp files. I didn't even shoot raw, I just shot large jpg. You can even read the license plate clear as day.

For sure, I haven't even optimized the AF settings of the D7000 yet. However, I drool at the amount of performance I can get from the D7000.

DSC_1173

For those interested, I shot it at 1/250th, wide open at f/5.6 and at ISO 500.

This 18-135 lens is a keeper for sure.

I knew I bought the D7000 at the tail end of its product life. But heck, I didn't think I needed more than 16 mp and the D7000 was on sale.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    My D7000 has been a top performer. I love it! It seems to revive AF-D lenses very well too...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @NSXTypeR

Amazing shot considering through a car window. I would check the AF fine tune a bit more scientifically, however, LOL.

As to the FJ...I would love to have one...had a 1983 FJ60 in tan.....

I think the D7000 has a great track record and will perform well. It may be the best "bang for the buck" currently offered.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ibecameweibecamewe Posts: 32Member
    Back in 2011, I was in the market to upgrade from my D80. I considered two options: Staying DX and getting a D7000 with the 17-55f2.8 or going full frame with the D700
    Being about 1500€ cheaper, not having to sell my beloved 10-24 DX and not loosing some of the reach of my 80-200 f2.8, and believing in the future of DX ... I finally picked up the D700.
    I never regretted the choice and my D700 still is my trusted companion and though I like the D700 I do not feel any real upgrade pressure yet.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Actually the situation ibecamewe is the BEST possible outcome from a planet resource standpoint. I got a very good offer on our D700 which was just not getting used enough as my guys all demand video. From the still photo standpoint I think the D700 was one of the best cameras Nikon has ever produced. The D800 is pretty much the single camera that has it all. Camera and lens prices seems to be edging up. At some point the consumer is just as well off to say....THIS camera is great and I do not need anything more. Now to the point of the D7000 being still worth buying? My opinion owning both the D7100 and the D7000 is you'd better not be paying too much for the D7000. I think the D700 is a better I am staying here camera than the D7000. I don't think the D7000 is in todays situation worth much above $900. The D7100 is one heck of a buy at $1,200!
  • MeeksiMeeksi Posts: 6Member
    Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'd like to start by asking you a question regarding my future purchases. I've been shooting with a D3100 for over 2 years now and I feel my skills have developed a lot. I've noticed that the D3100 has some shortcomings. For example, the viewfinder is small and dark, the LCD is not very accurate and the ISO performance could be a little better. Also, the body itself is really small and therefore the set is not very balanced with heavier lenses.

As much as I'd like purchase an FF camera, I don't think I'm ready yet and I really don't feel like I need it at this point. Also, the prices are quite high in Finland. I just want a new camera body that I can use for the next 4-6 years and further develop my skills. I've been trying to decide between the D7000 and the D7100. I think the D7000 would be more than enough for me but I got feeling that I might start drooling after the D7100 later. The prices for the two camera bodies are listed below. (I realize that most of the users here are Americans so I changed the prices to dollars)

D7000: $790
    D7100: $1318
    Price difference: $528

If I were to purchase one of the bodies, which one should I get?
    D7000 | Nikkor 35/1.8G | Nikkor 70-300/4.5-5.6G | Benro aluminum tripod and some other accessories...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited July 2013
    Welcome Meeksi,

It would become easier to answer your question if we know what you like to photograph with your future camera?

My first idea was to suggest save the money and invest it in lenses, but of course, you already might have all lenses you wanted? Some of us do own both bodies or a lot of experience with D7000 and not so much with it's younger companion. I've both and I don't feel the grass always greener on the newer side, but that's a bit biased since the D7k was my first Nikon.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    edited July 2013
    Welcome Meeksi,

It would become easier to answer your question if we know what you like to photograph with your future camera?

My first idea was to suggest save the money and invest it in lenses, but of course, you already might have all lenses you wanted? Some of us do own both bodies or a lot of experience with D7000 and not so much with it's younger companion. I've both and I don't feel the grass always greener on the newer side, but that's a bit biased since the D7k was my first Nikon.
    I photograph a little bit of everything. In the future I would like to start focusing more on portraits, street photography and event photography. Right now I only have 2 lenses that I use: 35/1.8G and 70-300/4.5-5.6G. Later I will buy the 85/1.8G and 50/1.8G and exchange my current tele to 70-200/2.8(4).

I will study in China for one year starting next semester. I would like to capture all kinds of photos and moments while I'm there. Everything from people and architecture to landscapes.
    Post edited by Meeksi on
    D7000 | Nikkor 35/1.8G | Nikkor 70-300/4.5-5.6G | Benro aluminum tripod and some other accessories...
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    In that case I find it smart to look for a cam upgrade before you go to China to have enough time to get confident with it.

So, my opinions about both bodies and my reason for not leaning clearly towards one of it are:

D7100 is the newer model with some tiny improvements, such as lockable mode dial, some menu settings I missed in D7000, good high ISO capabilities, very good AF and more precise metering. D7000 has a tendency to overexpose when it's in multimodal metering (don't know the English term for it at the moment). I find the dynamics better than her older sister's but don't appreciate the high MP count so much.

D7000 needs less battery power, has higher buffer capabilities, is a lot cheaper (85/1.8 comes closer...) and the quiet mode is to my ears more silent than the D7100’s if that's something counting for you.

One could say, the D7100 has a strength in landscapes, due to the MP. I doubt it. Landscape benefits of sensor area and dynamics, not as much on the pixel count.

But when the American members join this discussion the bandwidth of personal favouring will increase, so just wait a couple of hours to get a wider picture. I think both bodies can do excellent pictures.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Some believe the sensor on the D7100 with no AA filter in front of it produces better image sharpness....

This would be my reason for the newer body and when amortized over five years....it seems to make sense.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The answer is simple - both are good bodies, if the can afford the newest, get it. If you can't, the D7000 is still a good body.
    Always learning.
    Thank you for your answers JJ_SO, Msmoto and spraynpray. I will go for the D7100 if I can come up with the money. If not, I'll purchase the D7000.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Refurbished D7000 at adorama through ebay for $599...I am almost tempted.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @tcole1983: You still usin' that ol' D5K? Go on - treat yourself.... >:)

Seriously, I was only thinking yesterday that I should have kept my D5K for my wife...
    Always learning.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    @tcole1983: You still usin' that ol' D5K? Go on - treat yourself.... >:)

Seriously, I was only thinking yesterday that I should have kept my D5K for my wife...
    Ha. Yeah still have it. I am kindnof waiting for refurbished d7100's to come around but haven't seen them yet. I have been working too much lately though and not enough time to take pictures so a new camera hasn't been priority.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)